cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Headlights are too high towing, getting high beam flashed.

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
So I had to tow through the night on my last trip, something I try to avoid, but was unavoidable this time. I kept getting flashed by on coming drivers because apparently my lights are too high and blinding people. I have 2016 F250 with the camper package and use an 4 Point Equi-li-zer Hitch. The tongue weight of the trailer is only 700 lbs and the hitch is adjusted correctly according to the owners manual height measurements. The truck rear end drops approx. 1 1/4 from unloaded height, but this is enough to throw the alignment off for the lights. I am looking for suggestions on how to remedy this issue without using the hitch to do it. Using the hitch would put the adjustment out of the normal range according to Equi-li-zer. Basically the truck sags too much even with the hitch attached, or it sags enough to throw off the headlights, however you want to look at it. I have looked into the Torklift spring helpers, and they look reasonable, Is there other possible solutions. PS I do not want air bags, I think that would be over kill.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.
46 REPLIES 46

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
Just to clarify my previous suggestion regarding Stabiloads on my lower springs.
The installation took approximately one hour. Turning them,literally,on and off takes about two minutes, does not require going under the truck if your arms are more than one foot long, and is greatly simplified when you jack up the rear of your truck about two inches. Just remember to place the Jack under your hitch to relieve the pressure on your springs. Air bags will not reduce sway. Stabiloads level the truck,reduce sway and improve handling.
I sound like a pitch man for these things,but Iโ€™m not. Iโ€™m just a very happy user.

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the response. The truck sits perfectly level when unloaded. It came from the factory like this, I did nothing to the truck to level the truck. So when hooked up it drops an inch and causes the lights to be off. I don't think I have ever seen a truck that didn't squat to some degree when a load is applied. How rough would that unloaded ride be if the suspension was that stiff. If I try to adjust the hitch to fix the lights, I would have to set it so the truck literally didn't move in the back. I'm not sure that is even possible, plus it would be way out of the hitch manufactured measurements. I love the hitch and not going to replace it when I believe it is a truck issue. I am in the process of rethinking air bags ($), or using a screwdriver and making an adjustment (free). I don't drive the truck very often without the trailer so it wouldn't have to be changed back.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I guess that Ford and the hitch companies got it all wrong. They should just say to park the truck aimed towards a wall and adjust till the headlights return to normal. Springs, we don't need no stinkin' springs. :S

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Back when the load equalizing hitch was invented (I remember seeing ads for them in Mechanix Illustrated), the whole idea was to keep the headlights aimed properly without having to constantly re-adjust them.
That is still the primary reason to have one.
If your headlights are too high when towing, IMO the hitch is not properly set up.
Fix it.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good grief!
Some of You guys could dissect an ant!
Adjust lights down. If they're too low for normal driving, crank em back up a bit.
I don't even know why you'd try to take tongue weight off a F250 when it's only 750lbs.
That style of F250 has nice cushy rear springs for a HD pickup, so yeah, in my experience they do sag a bit more with light loads than others. Who cares?
It literally takes 2 minutes or less to adjust your headlights in front of your garage door.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am of the opinion that if it doesn't happen when not towing, the problem is the hitch set up. You are not transferring enough weight back to the front axle. If it does happen when not towing, it is a headlight aiming problem.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Sgeorge wrote:
So I had to tow through the night on my last trip, something I try to avoid, but was unavoidable this time. I kept getting flashed by on coming drivers because apparently my lights are too high and blinding people. I have 2016 F250 with the camper package and use an 4 Point Equi-li-zer Hitch. The tongue weight of the trailer is only 700 lbs and the hitch is adjusted correctly according to the owners manual height measurements. The truck rear end drops approx. 1 1/4 from unloaded height, but this is enough to throw the alignment off for the lights. I am looking for suggestions on how to remedy this issue without using the hitch to do it. Using the hitch would put the adjustment out of the normal range according to Equi-li-zer. Basically the truck sags too much even with the hitch attached, or it sags enough to throw off the headlights, however you want to look at it. I have looked into the Torklift spring helpers, and they look reasonable, Is there other possible solutions. PS I do not want air bags, I think that would be over kill.

Time for a better hitch. keep that truck level.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, just go from blinding them to totally destroying their night vision. nice attitude. ๐Ÿ˜ž

When I got rid of the old F250 and bought in the new, it went into the barn and was not even hooked up until I finished the install on the air bags.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
moresmoke wrote:
Find a piece of level ground next to a building wall. Drive up about 25' from the wall. The top of the high intensity portion of the light beam should be no higher than the center line of the lamp/bulb/beam.

Back when most semi's were spring ride, we would set them about 3" low to accomodate the squat when loaded.

This seems like the most reasonable, cost effective and considerate solution.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Newer trucks sit high already. It doesn't take much for the headlights to be too high. Adjust them down a little. I recently did mine and found that they actually work better now (when unloaded) than when the truck was new. If you need to adjust the hitch, do it too.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I installed Firestone air bags for just that reason. They also helped improve the ride quality when towing. Itโ€™s a lot easier to add 10 psi of air to the airbags than it is to re-aim your headlights each time you tow. If oncoming vehicles flash their lights then it probably means they are being blinded by them. Thanks for not just flashing your lights at them as the previous suggestions were stupid.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Find a piece of level ground next to a building wall. Drive up about 25' from the wall. The top of the high intensity portion of the light beam should be no higher than the center line of the lamp/bulb/beam.

Back when most semi's were spring ride, we would set them about 3" low to accomodate the squat when loaded.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Kuddos to you for wanting to do something about it rather be a jerk.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m on the adjust your WD hitch bandwagon.

Call me old fashioned but front and back should go down the same amount and the trailer s/b level.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
I say just hit them with the brights and they'll get the message.

I did that once, and the oncoming car turned on his red and blue overhead lights and gave me a ticket!
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)