cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hip Replacement and RV'ing

TravelTracer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm scheduled to have my right hip replaced at the end of October. This is something that I have put off for quite sometime...well it's time now. I have delayed it until the end of October so that I can enjoy the TT as much as possible.

I will have the TT winterized prior to surgery, so I won't be using the trailer until Spring of 2014. I don't have a clue as to what effect this will have on my mobility next Spring. Hopefully, everything will be healed by then.

Any suggestions for RV'ing after hip replacement surgery, or any suggestions/modifications to the trailer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance...

TravelTracer
When you're OVER THE HILL, that's when you pick up speed.
26 REPLIES 26

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
I had my right hip replaced in January 2009. I was back to work in 4 weeks, not driving, but commuting to my job in NYC via train and subway. Three months later I built a large shed in my yard. DW was yelling at me to be careful when I was up on the roof nailing the shingles. We took our first camping trip in May of that year with no problems.

The key to any joint replacement is an expert doctor and physical therapist working together. My left hip is starting to give me problems and I will not hesitate to get it replaced.

Everyone is different, so as others have said listen to your doctor. I found a great website for hip replacement information.
Surface Hippy
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

neil57
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both hips replaced,2 years apart,and was doing well several weeks after surgery with both. The physio is important to get all your mobility back,and being in good shape before the surgery is also important.It is great to be pain free and able to do the things you want to. There is a web site called -6 months after hip surgery that is very helpful for info on what to expect.PM me if you want with any questions and I will be glad to tell of my experience.
2009 2500HD Sierra CC DA
2014 Crossroads Cruiser 35ss

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Really glad you posted this topic. The Sunshine of My Life is planning to have this surgery when we return from our current trip in late October. This has been in the back of my mind, and it's good to hear some real-life responses about getting back to RVing soon.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
My DW had her left hip replaced one yr ago yesterday and you would not know it by watching her walk. She was driving her car in two weeks, going shopping etc. She did not do her exercises, she just got up two days after the surgery and has not slowed down !!! We were camping three weeks after her surgery
samsontdog:o:W

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I've had at least 8 knee replacements over the last 40 yrs. Oops, I guess mine don't count.

Peg Leg
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Modracer
Explorer
Explorer
Had THR in 08. Got it done at Stanford University. They used this method
Anterior Method
It is less invasive and thus a faster recovery.
06 HR
Ambassador 38PDQ
04 Liberty

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
My mother had both hips replaced........follow the doctor's orders to the T, and do your physical therapy. You'll do fine!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the people I kow that have had ht surgery are doing fine. About the MOST important part of the recovery is the therapy prescribed by your doctor. Do what they tell you to, and always give as a goal to be able to use and go RVing again. Do that and you will be fine. Have that as a goal, and be determined to get there.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

TravelTracer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your comments.....I've also heard that the hip is suppose to be easier than the knee replacement. Others have said the same about exercises and how important the are. I'm definitely going in with a positive attitude and will follow the therapy routine. Thank you for your comments and well wishes!

TravelTracer
When you're OVER THE HILL, that's when you pick up speed.

runaways
Explorer
Explorer
DH had his left hip replaced last July, the right hip replaced 3 months later in Oct. and by Dec. we were on the road with our 5th wheel for a 3 month trip. It was so much easier and pleasant for him with the new hips. Made a world of difference!

Good luck with the surgery.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions for RV'ing after hip replacement surgery, or any suggestions/modifications to the trailer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance...

My Mom asked me to put in a "riser" for her rv toilet. Seemed to help her with it being raised a little bit higher.
(side note) My Mom never gained back all of her mobility. Had to use a cane or walker after her surgery and never got along without it. There is really a reason why I share this. My Mother in law also had hip replacement surgery (2 weeks after my Mom). My Mother in law did all exercises her Dr said to do, then she would do extra, if she felt OK with it. My Mom did only the min and sometimes skipped that. Mother in law fully recovered and still living. (Move forward 8 years) My Mom had several falls and never regained spark in life and afraid to walk anywhere and became a "shut in". I think she really died of broken heart.
P.S. Please do your exercises!
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I can't comment on a hip replacement, I've never had one. I did have Total Knee Replacement. My doctor told me a hip replacement is easier than a knee replacement. (just repeating what I was told)
And, four weeks after my surgery I was running my walk behind snow blower.
Go into the surgery with a positive attitude, do the therapy after your surgery and you will be fine.
Let us know how you make out.