cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch pin

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used this hitch pin? I like the idea of one less key to carry but it looks rather bulky and wonder how it holds up to road grime.

Your input is appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Why would you give an opportunity for a theft to occur? If the hitch is not in the receiver, then it can't be stolen.

If you don't have a place to store it on the road why would you take it off and lay it on the ground for someone to "borrow it"?

Besides when mine was stolen I parked for the night, un-hitched, pulled forward one foot and found out the next morning that it grew feet. What would have been a better plan than a locking hitch pin with this scenario?

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why would you give an opportunity for a theft to occur? If the hitch is not in the receiver, then it can't be stolen.

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
pitch wrote:
Why do you camp in such crime ridden areas? I use a standard non locking hitch pin. When the trailer is not attached the hitch and bars are either in the truck or underneath the trailer.

If we stop and leave the rig while traveling I as a matter of course,(and I hope you do also) check the hitch assembly to ascertain nothing has been tampered with or broken before getting under way.

I am not a big law and order nanny,but in some jurisdictions it is illegal to leave your hitch in the receiver, due to passer bys busting their shins on it.
If I was going to be a criminal and wanted to steal someones "unlocked" hitch equipment, I would go to a "low Crime area". Less chance of a cop being around to catch me. But then, it could be that I'm just smarter then the average criminal.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I just got one remember somebody doesn't have to steal your hitch, just a bored kid pulling the pin would ruin your day....I've always had a locking hitch pin but I'm used to trailer boating where you might launch in the early morning and leave your truck and trailer unattended for the whole day....
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Yup, the PITA factor of having to find a hitch head or camper tie down is worse than the financial loss. I keep mine locked so some scrapper meth head doesn't get his next fix by selling my WDH or FastGun turnbuckle.

Exactly, we're not going to just run in Autozone and buy another one. And I've had our camper broken into at a Cracker Barrel in one of the nicest towns in NC. Thieves are everywhere.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Bedlam
Yup, the PITA factor of having to find a hitch head or camper tie down is worse than the financial loss. I keep mine locked so some scrapper meth head doesn't get his next fix by selling my WDH or FastGun turnbuckle.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Why do you camp in such crime ridden areas? I use a standard non locking hitch pin. When the trailer is not attached the hitch and bars are either in the truck or underneath the trailer.

If we stop and leave the rig while traveling I as a matter of course,(and I hope you do also) check the hitch assembly to ascertain nothing has been tampered with or broken before getting under way.

I am not a big law and order nanny,but in some jurisdictions it is illegal to leave your hitch in the receiver, due to passer bys busting their shins on it.

We don't camp in crime ridden areas. The only time I had one stolen was in Mount Morris NY which certainly didn't appear to be a high crime area. Pretty area, rotten people I guess. It only takes me once to learn a lesson. Try putting together a new hitch in the middle of your vacation some time and I bet you buy a lock.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a locking hitch pin with round key with a cover. I bought a two pack with 4 keys, same key for both locks. I have the keys in my truck and SUV console so I can always find the keys.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
wrenchbender wrote:
I am not a big fan of lockable hitch pins.I have had to cut too many for friends.What I like is 5/8 bolt and fiber lock nut.

I'm not a fan of having over $200 worth of hitch gear stolen.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I am not a big fan of lockable hitch pins.I have had to cut too many for friends.What I like is 5/8 bolt and fiber lock nut.

Bedlam
No. Bolt locks are unique in that they set themselves to your key the first use and after that only with your key.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
So anyone with a late model GM truck key can open your lock?
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Bedlam
I had the Bolt padlock keyed for my Ford. It worked great for five years and I sold it with the truck.

I use other keyed hitch pins and never had a problem with them as long as they have covers.