cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda CRV

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
does anyone use this vehicle as a 4 down TOAD?

Likes? Dislikes?

What fuses need pulled if any?

My father has a 2013 for sale, I am thinking about purchasing it for a TOAD.

Thanks
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
46 REPLIES 46

Deedle
Explorer
Explorer
Love our 2014 CR-V, I do need to run a charge line from motor home to the CR-V, If I pull the fuse then I lose poser to the break buddy.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 2013 CR-V Honda, but I do not have to pull out any fuses. It is a great towing vehicle. Mine is the two wheel drive.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

dezolen
Explorer
Explorer
Only negatives of CRV is the anemic horn which I just replaced with a WOLO and mileage could be better. Other than that ours is almost 3 years old and only maint so far is 3 oil changes, nothing else.

glamisorbust
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tow a 2006 CRV. We love it. Nice and light, gets great gas mileage(28mpg highway). Seats 4 people pretty comfortably, good amount of cargo area out back. The road noise from the tires is not the greatest but we live with it. It's not bad, but after driving my sister's 2008 toyota highlander I notice a dramatic difference. Hope this helps.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't hesitate on buying that 2013 CRV! I'm a happy owner of a 2014 CRV!

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought my 2014 CR-V to use as a towd. Got the dealer to do the Blue Ox baseplate and add led tail lights for $100.00. Have had it a year and 20,000 miles not counting 12,000 behind the coach. I am averaging 30 mpg. I don't pull the fuse and haven't had a problem. The biggest thing is to go into neutral from drive ONLY or you will damage the transmission also if you have an all wheel drive you can't use a dolly.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy!
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Stutch
Explorer
Explorer
GG.. As new anticipated MH users (We take delivery in early May), we purchased a 2011 CRV. We lucked out as it had 4900 miles on it. Drove it to Camping world and had them put in a Roadmaster base plate, Fuse disconnect, rear lights, and purchased a Sterling All Terrain tow bar.

Next day received the Brake Buddy and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for the CRV. Yesterday ordered a LeBra to protect the front.

So, We are ALL IN when it comes to the CRV. Easy!!

Good luck!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
Honda CRV
TM

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
nemo45 wrote:
aerbus32 wrote:
With the new CR-V's no longer towable 4 down, I suspect that the towable years will become relatively sought after as used cars,expressly to be towed. Our 2010, with Navigation, does not require the pulling of the fuse. It only has about 70k on it, but I get new car fever way too often. Was planning on replacing it with a new CR-V but will definitely not be. Having dealt with the poor reliability of Jeeps in the past, our only other choice would be a Subaru, but they can't be towed as automatics. Which my wife insists on. In my experience, the CR-V is the best choice as a dinghy for a gas coach.

You better check your owners manual. They all say to pull a fuse.

P. 335, 2010 Owner's Manual states, "When towing your vehicle for long periods, remove the . . . fuse to reduce drain on the battery." Starting the engine, running it thru the procedure detailed on the previous page (and recommended on the following page to be repeated at least every 8 hours) has proven to be very effective for me, after replacing the original battery.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Sooner Schooner wrote:
We tow our 2007 and love it. I do not pull any fuses and have never had a battery issue. We travel about 3300 miles/ or 5 hours per day. We will buy another CR-V when the time comes.

As you may know, the 2015 Honda's are not towable 4 wheels down because of the new transmissions installed. So, if you are on the cusp of buying, you might want to look now. Some dealers might even have a few 2014's on the lot (if you want new).

Good luck,
Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

soren
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:
We upgraded from a 92 Tracker to an 07 CRV back in June!
Installed a Demco Baseplate to match the Demco Excalibar Tow Bar that I already had on hand.
Also went with their Wiring Kit ..Plug and Go ,I used a 7 Pin connector to the MoHo!
I considered a charging wire to keep the Toad Battery charged ,but decided to just install a switch to the fuse for the Radio.So far it works fine.
The only critisism that I have is the Michelin Tires make this car very noisy to drive. I met a fellow who had replaced His with Bridgestones from Costco ,He claimed they were much quieter !
Mine are still like new ,but will replace them at the first opportunity!

We have owned a 2010 CRV, which was lost in a deer collision, and now have a 2013. I really, really doubt that you are going to be happy switching tires to cure road noise issues on a CRV. Up until recently Honda was continually criticized by the car reviewers for what seemed to be a real unwillingness to address road noise on all of their products. Our 2010 was ridiculously noisy with the factory Continental tires, and the Michelins that replaced them. The 2013 is dramatically quieter, and it has everything to do with lots of sound insulation that was added to the redesign. I just got rid of the nearly bald factory tires on the '13, and went with Hankook's latest and greatest. If there was any improvement in noise level, it is very slight. It's your money, but dropping $600 to throw away perfectly good tires will make little difference in a car with very little noise control built into it.

nemo45
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
They are good, but the fastest I've seen is a man with a Toyota Yaris. He had a tow dolly. Quickly pulled right up on it, a couple straps, 1 plug, and drove off. ๐Ÿ™‚ 4 down vs. 2 wheel dolly is a hard debate when I see stuff like that. But if I was going 4 down, it would be a CRV.

Well its not a hard debate for me. I've had both and towing 4 down is faster even with setting up the brake. And my wife doesn't have a nervous breakdown trying to drive the car up on the dolly.
Don Niemeyer
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40A
2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 Toad

nemo45
Explorer
Explorer
aerbus32 wrote:
With the new CR-V's no longer towable 4 down, I suspect that the towable years will become relatively sought after as used cars,expressly to be towed. Our 2010, with Navigation, does not require the pulling of the fuse. It only has about 70k on it, but I get new car fever way too often. Was planning on replacing it with a new CR-V but will definitely not be. Having dealt with the poor reliability of Jeeps in the past, our only other choice would be a Subaru, but they can't be towed as automatics. Which my wife insists on. In my experience, the CR-V is the best choice as a dinghy for a gas coach.

You better check your owners manual. They all say to pull a fuse. If you're looking for a good toad the Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain are great toads. Been towing mine 4 yrs. with absolutely no problems. My daughter has a Subaru Forrester its a very dependable car but very noisy compared to my Equinox and the ride isn't as good and there is much more room for passengers. For that matter the CRV doesn't ride as good nor is there as much room for passengers especially in the rear. This has been told to me by several CRV owners that have ridden in my Equinox and my daughter.
Don Niemeyer
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40A
2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 Toad

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
We tow our 2007 and love it. I do not pull any fuses and have never had a battery issue. We travel about 3300 miles/ or 5 hours per day. We will buy another CR-V when the time comes.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
After all this I am thinking hard about purchasing a relatives CRV. 2013, w/12100 miles. They only drive to/from church & store for food. Seems like a great idea. Currently to w/dolly and 2010 Corella, to low to the ground so I need ramps to get on tow dolly, spare tire for tow dolly, straps, and all this ads weight, time and frustration.

Thanks for alls comments.
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty