cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hope you are ready for Winter

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well winter is coming early to most of us this coming week!!! It even looks like even I will need to drain and blow the water lines before our planed weekend on the Coast next weekend. Dropping just far enough below freezing to make me worry.

Now for you in the Midwest, sounds like the deep freeze is on it's way this week, and the cold will reach all the way to the Gulf Coast!

Take care, stay warm and safe!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"
20 REPLIES 20

mmbyers
Explorer
Explorer
I have question for you snowbirds please?
When you leave your stick built home for the winter month what do you do to it? Most of it I can figure out but the question on the water and I will turn it off before the house. My question is do you empty the heater and blow out the lines to keep outside fawsets from freezing?

Thank you

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
52.6 F with sun here as I write this. About 5 degrees below the average for this date. So far, all the bad weather from the big storm is well north of us starting about 200 miles to the north. Forecast says no rain until tomorrow so I'm heading out to wash the TC and the 5th wheel before winter gets here. I want the TC clean anyway because we're heading north with it to Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore N.P. the day after Thanksgiving for a few days. It's rifle/open deer season here beginning on 11/15 and none of the approx 750,000 deer hunters in Michiagn are allowed near the CG and we sure don't want any rifle bullets flying around us so the nat'l park is a perfect place.

Cheap for us old farts! $13 a day with it's huge paved wooded RV sites, 30 amp or 50 amp electric, gorgeous tiled heated all winter bathouses with very private outside doored heated showers along the rear. The CG is open and busy all winter as they keep loop 1 and sometimes loop 2 also of the 4 large loops of the CG open all winter, roads plowed, RV pads cleaned to bare pavement, and plenty of wood there for campfires. So many hikers, snowshoe'ers, XC skiers, etc and winter campers, young and old. Love that gorgeous place!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
SteveAE wrote:
Yea, it's finally almost RV camping season in the NW isn't it?
Installed a new heater earlier this week and improved the insulation a bit too.
Heading out to the Steens Mountains and Alvord Desert in a few days so will probably add water to the tank on Monday.

Steve

OOoooo, I am so jealous..:R Steens is one of my favorite places in the PNW to spend time. I've been there about ten times over the last 15-20 years,which is pretty good considering that I live in Silverdale. I'm heading for Portland next week to visit my GGS in Vancouver and my 92 y/o aunt in Portland,who used to live in Bend in Sherwood Forest,is taking me to dinner at Kachka,the new Russian restaurant, and then we're going to Astoria in the MH for more food. I'll be at Jantzen Beach RV and then either Fort Stevens SP or the one at the golf course in Astoria. She loves to travel and to eat and still keeps up with me,or in most cases,ahead of me and loves a good dark craft beer.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo,

Far from a deep freeze this coming week here in the Midwest where we live. We're in Michigan on the shore of Lake Michigan west of Grand Rapids and the lowest temp even at night forecasted will be 29F and in the mid 30's to low 40's daytime thru next Sunday. That's as far as the forecast goes.

No need to even winterize yet. Lake Michigan's vast waters are still way to warm to have way below freezing air temps on this side of the lake and will be for another more than a month. Geee, I love Lake Michigan and it's stored summer heated water and the natural A/C blowing on us during the summer as the lake will be colder than the air! We've lived here over 72 years now and know just what to expect and when. It's just like clockwork and never disappoints.

It will be colder in the U.P. and in upper Wisconsin, Minnesota, and to the west of course with accumulations of snow on the ground where they don't have the Great Lakes influences on the weather that passes over them.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Steeljag wrote:
Just the opposite here. Loaded some items into the TT today, and plan to head out Thursday morning for a long weekend. Weather should be low 50's at night, sunny and mid 70's during the day.

Looking forward to getting away!

Don't get me wrong! We have plans to be on the Oregon Coast next weekend. Current forecast for Fri, Sat, Sun is lows in the high 30's and highs in the low to mid 50's, low chance of rain

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Place I store mine wants it in by mid October so it has been tucked away for awhile already. Problem with packed storage and you have one of the good inner spots.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Just the opposite here. Loaded some items into the TT today, and plan to head out Thursday morning for a long weekend. Weather should be low 50's at night, sunny and mid 70's during the day.

Looking forward to getting away!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I woke up one morning last weeek to 18degrees. Figured it was finally time to winterize so I ran to town and got some pink stuff and goter done.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Mines all winterized. Finished it up last weekend. Hurry up April, though it may be a short camping season for us next year. I need to get two knees worked on.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I do is move the motorhome to San Antonio. Then, on some nights I make sure that the 100 watt bulb is turned-on in the basement water-service bay.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Stay warm, safe and full of comfort food.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, it's finally almost RV camping season in the NW isn't it?
Installed a new heater earlier this week and improved the insulation a bit too.
Heading out to the Steens Mountains and Alvord Desert in a few days so will probably add water to the tank on Monday.

Steve

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Hi,

It is not that close to freezing in Portland to make me want to winterize just yet. You could just blow out the lines if you are worried about it. It is not worth it to have all that pink stuff in the lines, it will make taking a shower next weekend feel kinda sticky with all the residue.
Have fun at the coast!

Fred.

I only put the pink stuff in the drains, I drain and blow the water lines, NO Pink Stuff, DW and I don't like the aftertaste in the lines from the pink stuff. I have on-board air for the pack brake, so I regulate it down to 80psi drain and blow, may end up doing three to six times a winter.

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
We came down to Ga..low 40s..highs..60s 70s..but we see the vortex is headed down too.
We're ready..pipes wrapped..heaters got a high setting.
Stay warm.
we call it...ridin the gravy train...