cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Horrible smell from RV toilet - any recommendations?

WICampers
Explorer
Explorer
We will be heading out to Yellowstone this summer with our travel trailer and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for eliminating the smell coming from the toilet. It gets worse with humidity.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!
Jim, Sherry and Jackson
2019 Chevy Silverado
2016 C193BH Sun Valley Cloud Series by Evergreen

WI Rally Attendance: 5
35 REPLIES 35

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I run a bleach and Dawn solution twice a year in all three tanks. It kills any bacteria in them and keeps them from smelling bad.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
No matter how clean the tank is it's going to be "dirt" the first time you take a poop or pee. If the tank is not being properly vented from the roof vent you're going to have stink and pressure building in the tank during the day and when you flush it that pressure and stink is going to be relieved into the RV.

Make sure the tube is not obstructed by the vent cover. There should be an inch or so of gap between the top of the tube and the cover. If there is an appropriate gap remove the covering and look down the tube with a flashlight to see if it is obstructed. If there is an obstruction you can pour water down the tube to try and knock loose the obstruction or tie something heavy to a string long enough to reach all the way down the tube to dislodge the obstruction.

The one time we had a problem with black tank odor it was caused by a too narrow space between the top of the vent tube and the tube cover (either the tube or tube cover shifted at some point during our travels). I removed the tube cover, checked for tube obstructions (none) cut 1/2" from the top of the tube, replaced the cover and the issue was resolved.

We have never clean our black tank but we always use a deodorizing packet after each tank dump putting a gallon or two of water back in the tank to prevent whatever is left over in the tank after we dump the tank from hardening. Six years and never an odor issue other than the one time the tank vent was obstructed. That said we did not have sensors in the tank and I understand that cleaning the tank via a black tank flush is something that helps keep the sensors operating properly.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I used to get smells from my grey tank. About once a year it would happen. First I figured traps were dry but that wasn't it. Had a friend tell me he had same issue and the fix was to flush down the roof vent. So about once a year I'd pull the hose up on the roof and blast some water down the two vent pipes. It fixed the problem but still don't know why. I never looked under the sink for an air admittance valve and there should not have been one since there were vents. Just sold that one.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your tank hasn't been cleaned thoroughly and regularly, it may need a heavy duty cleaning. Our owners manual says to use Liquid Drano. I've used it once or twice a year to get the black tank back to factory fresh, factory clean condition. It won't hurt metal or plastic. (Don't dump it into an on-site septic system.) Some won't use it though for fear of hurting seals. After 4 seasons, no problem for us.

There are commercial tank cleaning chemicals available. I think Thetford has one. It needs to be above a certain temp., then you add some water and drive around to let it slosh around. The "Geo method" is another option (google it for details).

After cleaning the tank by the method of your choice, as mentioned above always put in a few gallons before each use of the tank. Then don't skimp on water each time you flush. When ready to dump, fill the tank to full or near full before pulling the dump valve. If you have an in-tank rinser, let it run 10-15 min. while breaking camp. Or try a back-flush elbow (won't always work depending on tank configuration and outlet location). In-tank rinsers can be added if you have access to the tank.

If your toilet drops down vertically into the tank, you can shut off the water and peer in with a flashlight to see how clean it is. Keeping the tank as clean as you can may also help make the sensors indicate more accurately. I'm a non-believer in tank treaments that you drop in each time you dump the tank. If the tank is kept clean, the AAV hasn't failed and tank vent pipe is functioning right, you shouldn't need treatments. Turning the fan off can help.

A failed air admittance valve under the sink is a common cause of a bad odor. Also, if you haven't used the shower for quite a while, the P-trap could be dry and be letting odors in.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
... Dawn dish soap. Envision a tank full of bubbles when I arrive.

Don't use THAT much. 1/4 cup or less does the job real good. Won't bubble up and out that way. Yet, enough and strong solution enough to clean everything well.

Another thing you can do. We wash dishes with Dawn and always catch the water in a tub placed in the sink. After washing dishes, I always dump the dirty water down the toilet. That also adds some dishwashing liquid in the black tank. It all helps break down and keep solids from sticking on things and then drying there, which is an odor maker there.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
After dumping, I always add about 5 gal of water for the next "load" When ever we travel I drop a dish washer soap pod in the tank before we leave. The sloshing of the road will clean the tank. I use the dishwasher pods because they are low sudsing. I would worry about the Dawn dish soap. Envision a tank full of bubbles when I arrive.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Camper!
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Chemicals are not the answer.

Excellent post.
But chemicals can indeed be PART of the answer.
Especially if the odor is only noticeable during a flush.

For storage, I leave about 5 gallons of water in the black tank along with about a cup of Clorox Cleaner with bleach. I try to drive it a few miles before parking.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on dutchs cleaning and we add a little dawn soap on the way to the dump station. the smell is telling you it needs cleaned.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, and those that say they never have smells and no need to clean their tanks or rinse them out, well ... here ya go! If they didn't stink, then why all the chemicals, flushing and everything else that's done to keep smells at bay?

Seals in the toilet do not stop all the smells. Once the peddle on the toilet is pushed, odors and smells can (and do) come back up the hole if the tank itself is filled with nasties that have been sitting a while.

The ONLY solution to ridding the tank of smells is to clean it out. Any process you can do to accomplish that is what's needed. Clean tanks don't smell, unless the contents sit for a length of time. And the longer that time, the more prone to foul smells.

As said, cleaning the tank is the only way to get rid of the smells. Over time stuff sticks to the bottom, the sides, and even the top of the tank. If you have solids and liquids in the tank and you hit the road, the contents inside that tank are splashing everywhere, including the top of the tank. Well, each splash is leaving "stuff" on the top of the tank and the water drips off. Over time, again and again and again, it builds up. Never getting clean off ... yea ... it stinks (literally).

The solution, again, for eliminating odors, is to clean the tank.

Start by filing it completely. Fill water into the tank until it actually comes up into the toilet (above the neck). Look down the hole and watch for the water to reach the neck of the toilet. Yea ... the toilet seals on the floor better be pretty secure for this. You will know how well sealed the toilet is to the floor this way too (which is a possible place of escape for smells too).

Dump the contents after letting it soak a few minutes. This gets water on the TOP of the tank, as well as sides and bottom.

After dumping, use your black tank flusher and rinse the dickins out of the tank. If you don't have a built in rinser, then get a toilet wand and attach to a garden hose and shove it down the toilet and rinse the dickens out of the tank. The force of the spray will help break up anything stuck, top, bottom, and sides. Make sure you are dumping as you rinse.

Rinse, rinse, rinse.... use a clear section of drain pipe on our camper sewer outlet so you can see what's REALLY coming out. When it runs clean, you've finally got it.

Then another thing you can do it add about 5 gallons of clean water, a few squirts of Dawn Dishwashig liquid and go for a nice drive. The bouncing and turning of the camper will slosh that soap water around and clean even more. You can add bleach too, which really help freshen things up.

Once back home (or your campsite), drain right away so all the gunk comes one. If you use the clear section on the drain again, you'll be absolutely shocked how nasty the stuff is coming out of the tank.

I promise you, if you do this, you'll not have any more smells. Rinse, rinse, rinse.

Then, every time you hit the road, make sure your tanks are dumped, add a few gallons of water and bit of Dawn and go to your next destination. You will NEVER have smells and you won't have to use chemicals either.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Bobbo and Son of Norway. Make sure your mechanical seals and water traps are working before you start dumping chemicals into your holding tanks.
If you don't have a good seal you will get some type of smell.

I use the GEO METHOD or something similar in my tanks. I've never had a smell problem.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a poop pyramid then it will take more than chemicals to get rid of the stink. I vary rarely use chems. I almost always use the black tank rinse when dumping and try and make sure there's sufficient water in the tank before using it. Heading into the 6th season with our 5er and I can count on one hand the number of times it's stunk. When it does act up I do dump some chems in. Until then I just keep lots of water in it and rinse it when dumping.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
How are you currently maintaining your black tank now? By that I mean, what is your dumping/flushing/maintenance process now?

Lots of variables here that can cause what you are describing.. Or, you need to change your diet... ha, ha... ๐Ÿ™‚

I know what I do, but it's not the popular vote here, so I'll just leave it at that..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Check the outside vent for blockage.
Use lots of water when flushing to dilute 'stuff'.
All we used for 16 years of full-timing was water. No stinks and boondocked for up to 2 weeks.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel