cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House AC went out can I hook up to 20 amp gfci

Johnsonty131
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short ac part for house won’t be here till Saturday. 2021 keystone hideout 176bh says ac BTU is only 13,000. Can I safely run this from my normal house outlet? (I have the dog ear adapter for the 15 amp to 30)
26 REPLIES 26

Johnsonty131
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys. I think I will have to hook up to my 20a outlet for a couple nights as I think it will be fine if I trip converter. Also I’m in Texas so I will just set thermostat where it stays on constantly during the night instead of coming on an off. I will have to use an extension cord but it is the exact kind that’s already on camper (the black thick one). Only doin this for 2 nights hopefully. Also how do I know if I’m burning up the circuit? Just use multimeter on the outlet im hooked up to?

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
No one mentioned what could happen if you overload that circuit. You could burn up you AC unit ($$$).

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you should be able to. But, as already said, don't run anything else when running the A/C, and be very careful about what extension cord you use, if any.

If regular RV cord won't reach the 20 amp outlet without an extension, instead of using a typical household extension cord, I'd recommend getting a 30 amp RV extension cord, and using that.

That way, you can be pretty sure that voltage drop over the cord won't be a problem, and you'll also have an extra RV extension cord you can carry with you in case you need it at a campsite later on.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Switch the fridge to propane if you can, I dont know if I had mine on or not.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
As they said, yes, mine will do the 13500 ac and the tv. Nothing else. But thats all I needed. Use a large guage extention cord. The rv one is ideal.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I do it all the time.

If you need an extension cord use a short 12AWG. Make one if you have to.

This is a bad week in Tx for losing your AC
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
midnightsadie wrote:
be nice if it was a 20amp out let, and I,d not use any thing else on that line. I run my rv ac off one with no problem.

He said it was 20A in his title.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Very likely yes. I have a less than ideal service to my shop and am able to run the AC on all of the campers we've had off of a 15A service.
But at some point (may not have been the camper AC) that outlet got hot.
I replaced with a 20A outlet (since it is only a few feet from the subpanel, and already on a 20A breaker) and that works like a charm.

Keep the extension cord short. If you're using just your RV cord with no additional extension cord(s), that is the best scenario.

Worst case, it pops the breaker feeding that outlet. No harm, no foul.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
One of the nice things about an RV is that if something like the heat or AC goes out in your house, you can use the RV. As others said, just run one AC and nothing else and you should be fine. Usually worst case, you trip a breaker. I had a previous Class A that didn't mind a 15A for AC. My current FW prefers a 20A - it will trip a 15A even with only one AC running.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Johnsonty131
Explorer
Explorer
I’m guessing 120 volt. All my house breakers say 20 also

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Is your "normal house outlet" 120 volts or 240V?
If it is 120v then yes but I wouldn't run anything else such as converter/charger, fridge, water heater.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
be nice if it was a 20amp out let, and I,d not use any thing else on that line. I run my rv ac off one with no problem.