cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How come?

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
How come when we go on a two or three week trip the time flies by. Seems like in no time it's over and time to head home.
But when I'm stuck at home for a week, it seems like months?
I guess the biggest pain is cancelling long awaited reservations for Fort Pickens, FL.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
33 REPLIES 33

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
To the OP. I started my own personal "Stay At Home" practice about 3 weeks ago. I started Social Distancing a week before that. At first it was really hard. After awhile I got used to it. I found new thing to do around the house and new things to watch on TV and the internet.

I still go for walks outside (Staying away from people of course) and as the year drags on I will miss my weekend camping trips. I live in the country and can, and have, camped in my yard before. I still have hope (some hope) that by July the parks will open up again and if they do I know just the local places I can go to and be alone.

Point is, instead of fighting it allow yourself to open up and enjoy the solitude. Find things to do at home like Old Biscuit says and go another day. It will hurt but, after awhile not so much.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Guy Roan wrote:
Crowe wrote:
Remember, it only takes one person to infect 4,000 in a week.

Show the data. Curious.

It is simple math Crow:
-One infected person contacts 10 people who contract it.
-those 10 people each give it to 10 people = 100
-those 100 people each give it to 10 people = 1000
-those 1000 people each give it to 10 people = 10,000
that is not even a week and that is what has happened in NY

Guy
Fortunately your rate of infection spread is pure fantasy. At your rate of infection everyone on the planet, some nine billion people, would have been infected in less than three weeks from the time of the very first case in China. You theorize that cases expand weekly by a factor of 10,000. So your 10,000 cases at the end of week one will have grown to 100 million at the end of week two. In the third week the planet is 100% infected before Wednesday. As you correctly pointed out, it is simple math.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:

That wouldnt hapen if everyone wore protective mask
Like most Asians do
https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU
Don't be so sure of that.

Quote:
COMMENTARY: Masks-for-all for COVID-19 not based on sound data

(Authors: Dr. Brosseau is a national expert on respiratory protection and infectious diseases and professor (retired), University of Illinois at Chicago.
Dr. Sietsema is also an expert on respiratory protection and an assistant professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago.)

Some excerpts:

โ€ฆIn response to the stream of misinformation and misunderstanding about the nature and role of masks and respirators as source control or personal protective equipment (PPE), we critically review the topic to inform ongoing COVID-19 decision-making that relies on science-based data and professional expertiseโ€ฆ.

โ€ฆSweeping mask recommendationsโ€”as many have proposedโ€”will not reduce SARS-CoV-2 transmission, as evidenced by the widespread practice of wearing such masks in Hubei province, China, before and during its mass COVID-19 transmission experience earlier this year.

โ€ฆOur review of relevant studies indicates that cloth masks will be ineffective at preventing SARS-CoV-2 transmission, whether worn as source control or as PPEโ€ฆ

โ€ฆSurgical masks likely have some utility as source control (meaning the wearer limits virus dispersal to another person) from a symptomatic patient in a healthcare setting to stop the spread of large cough particles and limit the lateral dispersion of cough particles. They may also have very limited utility as source control or PPE in householdsโ€ฆ

โ€ฆWe do not know whether respirators are an effective intervention as source control for the public. A non-fit-tested respirator may not offer any better protection than a surgical mask. Respirators work as PPE only when they are the right size and have been fit-tested to demonstrate they achieve an adequate protection factor. In a time when respirator supplies are limited, we should be saving them for frontline workers to prevent infection and remain in their jobsโ€ฆ

โ€ฆThese recommendations are based on a review of available literature and informed by professional expertise and consultation. We outline our review criteria, summarize the literature that best addresses these criteria, and describe some activities the public can do to help โ€œflatten the curveโ€ and to protect frontline workers and the general publicโ€ฆ

โ€ฆWe realize that the public yearns to help protect medical professionals by contributing homemade masks, but there are better ways to helpโ€ฆ

Conclusions
While this is not an exhaustive review of masks and respirators as source control and PPE, we made our best effort to locate and review the most relevant studies of laboratory and real-world performance to inform our recommendations. Results from laboratory studies of filter and fit performance inform and support the findings in real-world settings.

Cloth masks are ineffective as source control and PPE, surgical masks have some role to play in preventing emissions from infected patients, and respirators are the best choice for protecting healthcare and other frontline workers, but not recommended for source control. These recommendations apply to pandemic and non-pandemic situations.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a great time to get on with that 'to do' list that you have never found that 'roundtooit' so that you can do it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Who knows if there will be any camping season at all.
This just bites.
And it's probably one of the safest activities there is.

Especialy in these parts of the world :B

https://youtu.be/Edqt9Tzme_c

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Guy Roan wrote:
Crowe wrote:

Show the data. Curious.

It is simple math Crow:

Guy

That wouldnt hapen if everyone wore protective mask
Like most Asians do
https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:

Show the data. Curious.

It is simple math Crow:

Guy

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
We just cancelled and long awaited, first trip to Key West and I would not be surprised if our Aug trip to Montana is lost as well. Who knows if there will be any camping season at all.
This just bites.

Good thing you cancelled. The Keys are closed to all except home owners, workers with proof of employment and essential workers.
They have the two entrances blocked and so far have turned back several thousand people.

I love it, and right now we feel pretty safe

Guy

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
It's pretty simple.
Time flies when you're having fun.
Time slows down when you're not having fun.

I must be having fun all the time because at age 84 time seems to be flying by all year long !

Guy

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

Show the data. Curious.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m going crazy too! Iโ€™m not one to sit it one place for very long.
And itโ€™s only March 36th!

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
ScottG wrote:
This just bites.

It's only safe if everyone abides by the rules. Remember, it only takes one person to infect 4,000 in a week.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get in car/truck
Drive around the neighborhood/local area
Then when you get back home............go do a long over do project

Clean/reorganize the garage
Redo that back room that has been used as a catch all
Paint the interior
Cleanup/paint the exterior

Driving around then immediately doing something gives you the 'feeling' of having gone somewhere and being pro-active

Do something!
Time WILL fly bye (And you will have made improvements around the house)
Win-Win
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The camping is safe provided small town doctors and hospitals are not overwhelmed. The travel isnโ€™t.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
This just bites.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman