cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you carry Blue Tote?

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Right now we have ours on our ladder but not crazy about how it looks plus UV, so how do you carry yours?
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
53 REPLIES 53

John_M1
Explorer
Explorer
It would be very helpful IMHO, if more people would answer the OP's question instead of explaining why they would never carry a Blue Tote.
She asked about how to carry one, and I would like to see some creative ideas too. Goducks10 has an interesting idea; I'd like to see more pictures of that.
John and Susan
2018 Winnebago Vista 26HE
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
noe-place wrote:
Why have to dump twice or more when you can do it once? Besides my grandson says it looks like an ugly "toy wagon." :B

Two or sometime three dumps are required when the camper tanks are larger than the blue boy tank. People often by a smaller tank to reduce weight, and then realize that they have to dump twice.

The extra water does not fit well in your pocket.:B

I believe they were referring as to what i was referring to. You dump it in the tote, that's once...then you drag it to the dump station and dump it again. That's twice as many times. If your tote is not big enough to empty the tank on your RV, then that's even more dumping.

It would not surprise me if I miss interpreted it. I'm old and had a mild stroke. Strokes really mess with your brain, even years afterward:o

Of course, everyone has their own like and dislikes, but we find "dumping twice" is a LOT easier than breaking down camp,hooking up the trailer, driving to the dump station, dumping, and then returning to camp, backing in, unhooking trailer, setting up camp again.

I guess it would be a lot easier with a Class A or C.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
noe-place wrote:
Why have to dump twice or more when you can do it once? Besides my grandson says it looks like an ugly "toy wagon." :B

Two or sometime three dumps are required when the camper tanks are larger than the blue boy tank. People often by a smaller tank to reduce weight, and then realize that they have to dump twice.

I believe they were referring as to what i was referring to. You dump it in the tote, that's once...then you drag it to the dump station and dump it again. That's twice as many times. If your tote is not big enough to empty the tank on your RV, then that's even more dumping.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we carry ours it's in the bath tub/shower. It's only a 10 gal tank. We really only use it once a year. I like to trout fish and we will use it at Roaring River state park every Oct. We can go up to 10 days on the black tank. Have separate galley and bath grey tanks. Galley will last 3-4 days and 4-5 on the bath grey tank. I find it's easier to handle 10 gal at a time. Works for us.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Used mine once in 4 years. Hauled it around in the front compartment of my fiver. Put it on Craigslist and sold it right away. Full hookups for us if it's going to be more 3-4 days.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
restlesswind wrote:
After reading these pages,I'm wondering why am I hauling my 25-27 gal tote around?
It has not been off the truck for a couple of years.We don't dry camp much and it just takes up space in my truck bed and DW agrees that it does not look all that great on the ladder.I may have used it 4-5 times in the past 8+ years.
Yep,my mind's made up,it will be gone soon!

Never had one never seen a need!! We can go a week on tanks and they are not big. I shower every day and do dishes twice a day.
If we stay longer than a week would just pull around to the dump station.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
2 nights, what size tanks do you have, 5 gallons?

Hehehe ... actually 37 gallons each for black and grey tanks.

When we go camping we eat just as we do at home, or better. That means real meals not "camping food". This means that real dishes need to be done for 3 meals a day. We also use the toilet and shower as we do at home. Between these two the grey tank fills up after 2 nights / 3 days, although the black tank can go for maybe twice that, or more.

We know how to scrimp on water in those cases when we are not at a full hookup and don't have the portable tank, and that includes transferring grey water to the black tank. DW does not particularly like to do this scrimping, however.

You sound exactly like us. Same trailer, too!

We aren't going to start eating off styrofoam and skipping showers just because we are camping. We did plenty of that when we were tent campers. We bought an RV to use it.

We can go 2-3 days before emptying our gray tank and with a 32 gallon tote, it's no big deal to take 20 minutes and fill it up and haul it to the dump station in one trip. Hell, it gives me something to do on a lazy afternoon.

Oh, and we keep it in the bed of the truck.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
After reading these pages,I'm wondering why am I hauling my 25-27 gal tote around?
It has not been off the truck for a couple of years.We don't dry camp much and it just takes up space in my truck bed and DW agrees that it does not look all that great on the ladder.I may have used it 4-5 times in the past 8+ years.
Yep,my mind's made up,it will be gone soon!
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
noe-place wrote:

Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Use to carry on ladder using a chair rack to support my 42 gallon tank. Now I just put it in the 1/2 bath in the bunkhouse and pull it out when we arrive at our destination.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
We used ours a couple of times but found it too much hassle.
It is now in my flea market stuff.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
2 nights, what size tanks do you have, 5 gallons?

Hehehe ... actually 37 gallons each for black and grey tanks.

When we go camping we eat just as we do at home, or better. That means real meals not "camping food". This means that real dishes need to be done for 3 meals a day. We also use the toilet and shower as we do at home. Between these two the grey tank fills up after 2 nights / 3 days, although the black tank can go for maybe twice that, or more.

We know how to scrimp on water in those cases when we are not at a full hookup and don't have the portable tank, and that includes transferring grey water to the black tank. DW does not particularly like to do this scrimping, however.

We are like you, when camping we eat like at home, we enjoy cooking while camping, we have a big flat top cast iron that we do fajitas, stir fry, and lots of breakfast foods also, nothing gets precook end at home typically, other than chili and our homemade hash, we like those two better the second day. Our tanks are 60 and 70 gallon though so we have not needed a tank yet.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
I keep mine in the bed of my truck.

I do the same
samsontdog:o:W

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We had the 35 gallon thetford (gray in color) portable waste tank. Used it a handful of times when we had the TT. Since we got the MH last year, we have not used it and I actually sold it a couple months ago for about half of what I paid for it. We used to throw it in the bed of the truck. But now, we really have no way to carry it. Plus our toad has no hitch on it to pull it with. We've learned better water conservation and find it's just too easy to close up and drive to the dump. Plus I only have to dump once, whereas if you are using a tote, then you have to dump into the tote and then again in the dump station. And depending on the size of your tote and tanks, you might have to do it more!
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L