cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you carry Blue Tote?

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Right now we have ours on our ladder but not crazy about how it looks plus UV, so how do you carry yours?
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
53 REPLIES 53

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I only take mine if we're going to be staying at the same place for more than a week. (Otherwise, we don't fill the tanks.)

I bought one of those bike racks that goes onto ladders, and carry it on that. Works nicely. (I'd never trust one of those with something as heavy as bikes on it though.)
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
wmoses wrote:
Bed of truck also.

Old Biscuit - How do you manage without a tote when the duration of the stay is longer than one tankful would permit? Do you break camp to go and dump?

I take the tank when I know I will be staying at a park without sewer and am staying longer than 2 nights.

2 nights, what size tanks do you have, 5 gallons?

One learns water conservation when not at a full hookup!! We can go a week on tanks, we have three Black, Grey and Galley. I find the galley the tough one to control.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I welded a 1-1/4" piece of tubing to the bumper of my 5'er. I also made a carrier for the tote. Rock solid and no wiggle. Been toting it around for 10,000+ miles on two different trailers like that.
This is mounted on our previous trailer.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Bed of the truck for us, but I see quite a few on ladders too.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
In the front storage compartment of the 5th. Have not had to use it since buying this 5th, never stayed long enough in one spot without some kind of hookup.

Fits well next to the batteries and behind the chairs in the compartment.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Southwind98
Explorer
Explorer
Between the two I-beams under the motorhome, behind the gas tank. The tote fits nicely up in between the two beams. Used two pieces of flat iron and drilled holes to insert cotter pins. Also added black rubber bungee straps as a extra safety measure of holding it in place. Has worked great for five years and I always have it with us, but it isn't taking up much need storage space. There is only probably two times a year when I need it, because of the length of stay at a non full hookup campground.
Will & Michelle
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1990 Jeep Wrangler

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:

Hehehe ... actually 37 gallons each for black and grey tanks.

When we go camping we eat just as we do at home, or better. That means real meals not "camping food". This means that real dishes need to be done for 3 meals a day. We also use the toilet and shower as we do at home. Between these two the grey tank fills up after 2 nights / 3 days, although the black tank can go for maybe twice that, or more.

We know how to scrimp on water in those cases when we are not at a full hookup and don't have the portable tank, and that includes transferring grey water to the black tank. DW does not particularly like to do this scrimping, however.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
In my pass thru storage compartment. Sometimes I wonder why, I haven't used it in years. Have gone up to 6 days without dumping with extreme water management.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
bed of truck

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Bed of truck when I had one. Now I carry a 45 gal. collapsible tank that fits in a shoe box and fill it with a macerator. With an adapter I use the macerator to pump it out.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I made mounts on both of my kids TT under the front of the trailer, just behind the "V" of the frame. I used the white wire shelving from Home Depot. Use cable hold downs on one side so the shelf pivots down and then use a bungee or strap to hold the shelf up tight against the bottom of the trailer, once the tank is in place. This is a good solution if you don't use it every trip.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Moved from Lifestyle

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
Mine rides on a tilt down carrier I made under my TH lucky for me it fits up between two of the cross members as well. Have not needed it for some time now, but as some will say its better to have and not need as to need and not have.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I only used one once in the 20 or so years of camping in a RV. And it belonged to a neighbor. I had bought about 300' of drinking water hose, and used that to refill my 100 gallon fresh water tank. The campground had a few water facets around the grounds, but not near the sites.

While filling my tank, the neighbor offered to dump our gray water in exchange for filling his fresh water. I thought that was pretty nice of him, it was barely any effort to fill his tank.

My thought for full timing, if I have a trailer, and I love to spend 2 - 3 weeks at a time camping, is to buy a fresh water tank for the bed of the pickup, and then another tank in the 30 - 45 gallon range to carry black or gray water to the dump station. I would have a macerator pump too - actually already have one. The pump will go uphill a few feet. At least far enough to fill the tank inside the pickup bed.

If I kept using a motorhome, then a tank for the towed vehicle, and just dump the tanks by moving the motorhome like I do now. I usually dump the gray tanks in the boondocks, the plants normally need some water. And I bury it about 1 foot underground, so the bugs do not get near it. You can not dump ANY water on the ground in a Federal Campground, or any organized campground, only when you our out in the desert or forest where nobody else is likely to camp within 100' of you.

I can camp for 2 weeks with my 100 gallon fresh water tank. The 59 gallon black tank will last more than a month, and by then it needs to be drained, full or not!

You can extend the gray water tank in a couple of ways. I have a bathtub, and can plug it, use a dishpan to move most of the water into the black tank. I can also save a gallon to use as flush water for the next day. I can also do the dishes in a dishpan, and dump that water in the bushes, just like the tent campers do.

My buddy has a custom 40' bus built on a MCI chassis. He had them install a 100 gallon gray tank above the black water tank, and valves in such a way that he can dump the gray tank only, or dump some or all into the black tank, as his requirements can change. I think he has a 150 gallon stainless fresh water tank, and 100 gallon black tank. He can dry camp weeks at a time.

Tank-Depot.com

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
wmoses wrote:
Bed of truck also.

Old Biscuit - How do you manage without a tote when the duration of the stay is longer than one tankful would permit? Do you break camp to go and dump?

I take the tank when I know I will be staying at a park without sewer and am staying longer than 2 nights.

My wife and I can go about 11 days on the black tank, but only about 5 on the kitchen gray tank. If you're filling up in two days, are you trying to control how much water you're using?
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)