cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How durable are PLASTIC kitchen sinks?

magentawave
Explorer
Explorer
I need to buy a double sink for the 18' Toyota Sunrader that I'm rebuilding. My first choice is stainless steel but plastic double sinks on eBay are a lot less expensive than SS sinks. I'm concerned about a plastic sink ending up with tons of funky looking scratches from stowing stuff in it while driving, which is one of the reasons I want a double sink. Do you think its a mistake to buy a plastic sink?

Here is a plastic double sink on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RV-camper-marine-double-Kitchen-Sink-motorhome-NEW-2418-18-x-24-x-8-/290...

By the way... Is it just me or are the steps required for creating links inside a sentence or underlining text a little cumbersome on this forum? :?
27 REPLIES 27

magentawave
Explorer
Explorer
You must be thinking of someone else because I never said anything about cutting a sink in half.

Redsky wrote:
Think long and hard before taking a small sink and cutting it in half with a double. The doubles also lose about 25% of their area with the center divider unless you buy a commercial one.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Our plastic sink still looks very good after 10 years but it's because I'm anal about taking care of it. It has a protecter thingy in the bottom and we're carefull to not hit the sides with anything. I also polish it several times a year.
If I ever replace it I'll get a stainless sink.

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
We have an acrylic sink that came in our coach. We hate it! When we remodel its coming out. In fact most MH manufacturers do not put them in anymore because people have expressed their disgust with them. It is easy to chip, scratch and crack....go with stainless and you'll never regret it! We've been careful with our sink but it still has lots of scratches.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

Dr_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:
We are on our second trailer with a white plastic double sink. We had the first one for six years, and are on our sixth year with this one.
Ours do not have a scratch in them and look new. We snow bird in them and they are used every day for four months each year.
My wife uses Gel-gloss on them every so often.
She puts things in them when we are traveling, but she also puts towels under anything that could scratch them.
With that said, I imagine that there are various grades of plastic ones. Ours seems to be thick and solid

Jack L
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
Greater Boston Area

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We owned our Springdale for 8 years. It had a double plastic sink. When we sold it, the sink still looked new. I replaced the faucet once, but the sink still looked new. (Of course, we do most of our cooking and cleaning outside the camper too and always kept a tub in both sides of the sink too, so stuff never really had a chance to scratch the surface.)

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
Our has been replaced... We found out that it is not a good idea to leave the coffee cups in it while traveling! We would have our morning coffee and then put the cups in the sink with the sink covers over them and take off to the next destination. On a trip to Niagara on the NY state thruway we found the cups in the cabinet below.
After it was replaced, I happened to see the old one at the dealership and found out something scary. They start with a 1/4" sheet and vacuum mold it. When all said and done...the mounting flange is still 1/4" and the bottom of the sink is paper thin!
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are on our second trailer with a white plastic double sink. We had the first one for six years, and are on our sixth year with this one.
Ours do not have a scratch in them and look new. We snow bird in them and they are used every day for four months each year.
My wife uses Gel-gloss on them every so often.
She puts things in them when we are traveling, but she also puts towels under anything that could scratch them.
With that said, I imagine that there are various grades of plastic ones. Ours seems to be thick and solid

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
Think long and hard before taking a small sink and cutting it in half with a double. The doubles also lose about 25% of their area with the center divider unless you buy a commercial one.

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
To save $100 on your project and build in a non-stainless seem foolish to me. There are two commonly used gauges of stainless used on sinks and the thin gauge sinks will dent quite easily. I would go with plastic over the thin gauge sinks.

bumpus4
Explorer
Explorer
yes

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
You have to be careful about putting hot cooking items like pots or pans in the plastic sink. It will melt spots into the plastic
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
They're durable but, yeah, they well scratch and stain.

Please keep us posted on your progress. My parents had a sunrader (around a'76?). I wish I still had it. What a great little unit. Pictures please!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

ken07734
Explorer
Explorer
My TT came with a plastic sink and it has been replaced because of discoloring under warranty but I'm sure it will again and I'm going with SS.