cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How hot is too hot

hasheel
Explorer
Explorer
First trip with the new Rpod. Towing with 2007 Chevy Colorado. 3.7 LTR 5 cyl. have a scan gauge. It would not show trans temp. It does show coolant temp. The coolant temp stayed around 209,211. As it got hilly, and later in the day, the temp rose to 215.
Is this too hot? Doo I need additional cooling? Or a tranny cooler?
Without geography, you're nowhere
2017 Rpod 180
07 Chevy Colorado 4X4
Equalizer
15 REPLIES 15

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
So similar to questions of which gear to select on an *AUTOMATIC* transmission...it is an AUTOMATIC and let it do it's job...or next vehicle get a manual tranny.. :B

This is not particularly great advice. If your TV is struggling to help slow down your speed when on a long downgrade, then it just might need to be shifted manually into a lower gear than the automatic tranny thinks it needs. There is a good reason why so many trucks with auto transmissions have a manual mode. It's not something that I use regularly, but when it's needed, I'm glad it's there. The rest of the time when towing, I'm glad to just be able to put the transmission in "Drive" and "Tow/Haul".
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Coolant temps of 215 are a non-issue.

ATF temps monitoring is more complicated.

Some OEM's have multiple ATF temp sensors and you often do not know where any given value is coming from. It is exiting the cooler? The trans? The sump? Or is it inline somewhere?

All ATF today is at least a synthetic blend, some are full and pretty high end oil. Temps can for over 240-260 where charts show danger, but thats not reality.

But lets say 240-260 ATF temp is found exiting the trans where it would see its peak temp. Consider how long its at that temp before being cooled down again. Is the time even measurable? A couple seconds are best?

So it really matters where that ATF temp reading is coming from.

Aftermarket ATF cooler manufacturers state to monitor ATF temp EXITING THE COOLER. So, if you see 175-200 coming out of the cooler...that would indicated trouble or you need a much larger cooler!!!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
So similar to questions of which gear to select on an *AUTOMATIC* transmission...it is an AUTOMATIC and let it do it's job...or next vehicle get a manual tranny.. :B

Unless you have modified your engine, computer(s) and cooling system,

just leave it to the automatic stuff to manage

...or if you are over the OEM's ratings (this is one area that does display where you are in reference to the OEM ratings)...or haven't maintained the vehicle well...

Depends on what era...even brand of TV

Key for performance is when does the computer(s) decide to leave normal power settings and go into 'limp mode' and there are several levels to that

ON the performance side, 'power mode' is also dependent on temperatures (not just one, but several spots it senses and sends info back to the computers). One of those sensors will be the knock sensor...

hasheel wrote:
First trip with the new Rpod. Towing with 2007 Chevy Colorado. 3.7 LTR 5 cyl. have a scan gauge. It would not show trans temp. It does show coolant temp. The coolant temp stayed around 209,211. As it got hilly, and later in the day, the temp rose to 215.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
happycamper002,

I don't know how it works. There are various codes to enter based on the make and model of the RV. I'm too dense to follow the directions at the scan gauge site, unfortunately.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

It is possible to enter codes into the scan gauge which will allow it to read the transmission temperature.

Interesting!

Does it need to have an independent sensing device or you tap into the oil pathway to the main cooling (Radiator) system to get this information?

I don't tow anything but curios nevertheless.

I noticed during my trip to a nearby lake that when going through steep grades, my cooling fan kicks in often like getting extra shot of adrenaline.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a full range of gauges on my truck, My rule of thumb is when you see 250 on any fliud guage it is time to try something different.

I have seen 280* on trans temps and when I changed the fluid it smelled burnt.

I have seen 280* on coolant and things were getting tense.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

It is possible to enter codes into the scan gauge which will allow it to read the transmission temperature.

Not every vehicle, especially if it is 10 years old.

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of newer trucks have slightly higher thermostats than folks are used to. 215 on a hill is very normal. My ram 3500 tranny stays between 120-150 but I have had other diesels that would get into the 210-240 temps when loaded over 25k lbs. Gauges are your friend.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
215 for coolant isn't too hot and may not even trigger the cooling fan.
If it gets above about 226 or so the cooling system is loosing ground and you should stop and let it cool.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Typical, non-synthetic, ATF starts to break down around 260F.

Knowing you ATF temp is important. An auxiliary transmission cooler, either factory or aftermarket, should be considered critical.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
50/50 coolant at 15 psi will not boil until you are above 265-270 degrees.
I would run full throttle to 240-250 zone without worry.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
hasheel wrote:

Ideally you can get a tranny temp gage so you know what is going on in the transmission. If the transmission is getting too hot, the engine can follow it as the main radiator cannot take out enough heat.

And if you do not have an aux tranny cooler and you are towing, I would suggest getting one.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
No, 215 is not too hot. In fact that is when most fans kick on. Does your truck have a factory tranny cooler? If so, your fine. If not, plan on getting one!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln