cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much do you use your generator?

dbs944
Explorer
Explorer
We are trying to sell our motorhome and the generator wasn't working so I took it in. Turns out my Onan 7500 generator is totaled. Probably $10K to fix or replace and this on a 1999 Fleetwood. So I'm thinking of dropping the price several thousands and selling it w/o a generator. The generator has 1050 hours on it or about 65 hours per year. (excluding fuel and maintenance it has cost almost $10/hour to run - although this was probably and unusual failure).

So I was wondering, how much generator use do you average per year?

For most people, is not having a generator a big deal? It wouldn't have been for us as we only would have used it for a few hours in the past 3 years. Would sticking a portable generator in a storage bin be a good option?

Thanks
44 REPLIES 44

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
2oldman wrote:
The only thing I would say in the ad is: No generator. The usage would be totally up to the purchaser.
You might also mention there's a place for one and that it is pre-wired.

x2. some people use theirs a lot and some don't. I use mine ALOT. Also, $10,000 sounds outrageous.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
check craigslist. I see them all the time
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked with any rv salvage yards or EBay?

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
Rocky mtn. Cummings in Px as you are in Az.Let them ck it out if you plan to repair. Would try selling w/out as others have said and see what happens.Then go from there. Miss read location.Still would as some says,try another shop

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
If the generator failed due to an "overspeed" while in use, there may have been a voltage and/or frequency spike. Both overvoltage and overfrequency can damage modern electronics.
I wonder, what else is in the coach that has failed or will soon fail?
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would never consider buying a motorhome without the original generator(operating).
And, I don't understand a "totaled" Onan generator. What caused both the generator and its engine to fail to THAT point?
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

westend
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
I wonder what is exactly wrong with it. Carbs are a few C-notes but that is the first thing that fails. I can see a generator "totaled" if the copper windings are so corroded that they have snapped, but even then, it might just be a set of brushes. If it isn't giving electricity but the engine is running, it might need a "field flash", and there are plenty of instructions on YouTube to re-energize that.

Not sure the exact cause but probably an overspeed issue. The rotor shattered taking out the stator. During the overspeed, the inverter may have been damaged but no way of telling until all the other repairs are done. There may also be a problem with the governor. Kind of a cascading effect. Parts alone are potentially up over $6K and if you got it all done and it worked, it would still be a 16 year old generator. I asked about core value of the engine but was told there wasn't much there due to age. As I mentioned it is already out so putting a broken genset back in is not happening. It is near impossible to get to so to do any work on it after a re-install would be very difficult.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use my generators a lot. I would not consider buying a MH that didn't have a working generator. Or the purchase price would have to be low enough to allow me to either get the generator running, or buy an new generator.

I have a truck and trailer now, but still use generators all the time. Therefore, I bring two 2K Honda's with me, along with an extended run tank.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
The only thing I would say in the ad is: No generator. The usage would be totally up to the purchaser.

yup, I agree. it is up to the person reading the ad.
I wouldn't say anymore than that.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Earl E wrote:
I wouldn't put it back in and I wouldn't even mention "no generator" in the ad. No need to call attention to what isn't there. If you get a call and they ask, then certainly explain the issue. Price it fairly, meaning lower the price. Don't try to hide the issue, just don't call attention to it as an issue. I know many people who never use their generator.

I think this is the best way to sell it. Just don't mention it. If someone asks, be totally straight with them, and tell all.

I would NOT put it back in. You would be spending time and money to do it. It will NOT work, and the new buyer will have to spend money to take it out!

Have it available, and tell the prospective buyer that it goes with the coach, IF THEY WANT IT.

mikensallyt
Explorer
Explorer
oops with summer coming up quickly on us here, I've never used the gen for any of the roof mounted a/c's while on the road. Do I need to?
Retired USN 1996, RMCS(SW/AW)
Traveling solo in my 2015 Thor Challenger since my wife of 25 years went solo to the Lord
Seems like every trip out there's a warranty repair on it afterwards
F/T in two years from now. Last child to graduate first.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use mine all the time. I would put a rebuilt in or you will be pricing it lower then the cost of one. Why, they can not tested the rest of the circuit so it is all toast.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
We use our generator EVERY TIME we dry camp.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Earl E wrote:
I wouldn't put it back in and I wouldn't even mention "no generator" in the ad. No need to call attention to what isn't there. If you get a call and they ask, then certainly explain the issue. Price it fairly, meaning lower the price. Don't try to hide the issue, just don't call attention to it as an issue. I know many people who never use their generator.

That is exactly as I would do and have done in the past. I used to buy and sell RVs as a hobby and many did not have generators. Some had been stolen, broke etc. Never stopped me from buying or selling if the price was right
samsontdog:o:W