cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove/prevent standing water at campsite???

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, our seasonal campsite has a low spot (approximately 20' x 10') that collects water after a good rain. Normally, it absorbs into the ground pretty quickly, however this year the soil is so saturated that the water has no where to go.

Since, it is the low spot (has high sides on all 4 sides) what can I do to minimize the pooling of water so I don't have to wade through ankle deep water when leaving my camper?

Thoughts?

dh
61 REPLIES 61

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you go with a pump you will want a well at the lowest point so the water will collect around the pickup.

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
Seon wrote:
Ask for a different site that's higher and dryer(?).

No lake side camp sites are available. Plus, I have hundreds of hours of sweat equity invested into this lot to leave. It basically looked like an overgrown forest the first year we leased the property.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Many great suggestions. If the owner doesn't agree with the one(s) you like,
do the raised (wood) walkway in "movable / portable" sections that can be stacked somewhere for "next time".

Meanwhile - stock it for fishing - and/or get an inflatable kayak.

Seon
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ask for a different site that's higher and dryer(?).

dedmiston
time2roll wrote:
I would just get a pump. Low cost solution for the few times a year.
I only get my pump out every 3 to 5 years and is well worth having it.

Not a bad suggestion.

It's hard to tell from those photos where he would pump the water to, but I bet he'd get the park owner's attention real quick if he pumped it out of his space and into the sewer. I can't help but think the park owner owns most of the responsibility to make this right.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would just get a pump. Low cost solution for the few times a year.
I only get my pump out every 3 to 5 years and is well worth having it.

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
installing a french drain to redirect the water to a place where it wont harm anything else would be the best bet.

Steve

Since the flooding is at the lowest spot on the lot grade, the safest place to redirect the water is uphill (6 foot higher than the low spot). There in lies the challenge on how to get the water to the lake side (high side) of the lot by using natural means or drainage. Mechanical pumps are an option, but since I don't live there permanently, it is the less ideal solution.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
installing a french drain to redirect the water to a place where it wont harm anything else would be the best bet.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Funny thread....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Wow Darley,

This thread is a blast from the past.

Can you find a local landscaper to help you with the grading? Do you have free range to do whatever you want (and can afford) there, or do you need approval from the owner and/or permits?

... your choices are to either divert the water somewhere else, add French drains, raise the grade, or construct a raised walkway or even a pontoon bridge :B to get to and from your truck, or some combination of those.

How long does it take to soak in after a rain like that? I assume it takes a few days or a week? And how often do you get that kind of rain?

Where's your camp? Is this in ND?

A landscaper would be a good idea. I would have to get the campground owner's permission for any work done. I wanted to add 20 cubic yards of soil to fill in the low spot, but he thinks it would be a waste and would not soak up the water and it would be redirected to another camp site.

The flooding happens 2 to 3 times a year. Early spring the water soaks up in a day. Later in the year, the water can take up to 5 days to soak in. And then a couple days after to dry out so you can actually walk on the grass.

The campground is located in Devils Lake, ND. The trees are definitely a bonus.

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I would probably pump that.

I use something like this when needed at an apartment building:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Superior-Pump-Utility-0-25-HP-Stainless-Steel-Submersible-Utility-Pump/1000...

As the water absorbs, note the low point to place the pump. Get some hose such as pool backwash hose to carry the water where it will run off without issue.

If this is a permanent spot where you own and control then I would be more inclined to re-slope the area as needed for a permanent solution.

I lease the spot and have to get the campground owner's approval to do any modifications to the lot. I have been pushing for a permanent solution.

dedmiston
Wow Darley,

This thread is a blast from the past.

Can you find a local landscaper to help you with the grading? Do you have free range to do whatever you want (and can afford) there, or do you need approval from the owner and/or permits?

It kind of depends on your budget and how much work you want to put into it, but it seems to me like your choices are to either divert the water somewhere else, add French drains, raise the grade, or construct a raised walkway or even a pontoon bridge :B to get to and from your truck, or some combination of those.

How long does it take to soak in after a rain like that? I assume it takes a few days or a week? And how often do you get that kind of rain?

A professional landscaper with good experience in grading and drainage is a must though. You need to be careful changing the grade so you don't starve those beautiful trees.

Where's your camp? Is this in ND? My wife and I took a big trip last fall and spent a few nights at a gorgeous little County campground called Buffalo Gap Campground, just to the west of Theodore Roosevelt National Park. We agreed that it was our second favorite camp of the trip. It was also the least expensive. That sure is beautiful country up there. I wish we could have spent more time exploring the area, but we had to head home by then. Out of nineteen states and nearly 11,000 miles on that trip, it was our #2 favorite spot.

Anyway, my wife has run major landscaping companies here in Southern California for decades (the kind of companies that landscape Disneyland and Universal Studios) and a lot of her expertise has rubbed off on me. You definitely want to consult with a decent landscaper to get some drainage advice that works in your area. It probably won't even be that big of a job, but it will go a whole lot smoother if you get quality guidance.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would probably pump that.

I use something like this when needed at an apartment building:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Superior-Pump-Utility-0-25-HP-Stainless-Steel-Submersible-Utility-Pump/1000...

As the water absorbs, note the low point to place the pump. Get some hose such as pool backwash hose to carry the water where it will run off without issue.

If this is a permanent spot where you own and control then I would be more inclined to re-slope the area as needed for a permanent solution.

This is the pump I have:
https://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/FloTec-FP0S4100X-Water-Pump/p72416.html

darleyhavidson
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few links to pictures of the water issue I am still dealing with. Any advice would be appreciated.

https://link.shutterfly.com/rVai4SFkO9

https://link.shutterfly.com/UJ8SsoRkO9

https://link.shutterfly.com/b3KQAoVkO9

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
If none of the other suggestions work for you (and they are good suggestions), one other idea is to drop a couple of 2x4's across the low area and nail some 1x2's across the top. That will make a wood open deck that will let some light to the grass underneath but will let you walk across the bog and not get wet. When you don't need it any more, you have firewood. Total investment would be under $10 so it is not an expensive solution.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....