cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm better because...

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had started to post this on another thread that had devolved into one of the usual "I'm better than you" arguments, but decided it might be time to create a thread just for this.

This is NOT to actually argue about these things (sheesh, we do that enough on all the other threads), but to list the various "I'm better because I" arguments that go on. Maybe we will see ourselves in some of these and smack our hands off the keyboard next time...

1. I'm better because I buy new - I'm better because I buy used
2. I'm better because I'm outside all the time - I'm better because I use the inside fully
3. I'm better because I go to campgrounds on the weekends - I'm better because I stay away from campgrounds on the weekends
4. I'm better because I RV - I'm better because I CAMP
5. I'm better because it's bigger - I'm better because I know how to get the most out of smaller (OK, I had to play with the wording on that)
6. I'm better because I have a toad - I'm better because I don't have a toad
7. I'm better because I only boondock - I'm better because I only stay at developed campgrounds - I'm better because I only stay at RV parks - I'm better because I only stay at Walmart and truckstops
8. I'm better because I have a DP - I'm better because I have a gasser - I'm better because I have a 5er - I'm better because I have a TT - I'm better because I have a TC - I'm better because I have a C - I'm better because I have a B - I'm better because I have a pop-up
9. I'm better because I move around every day - I'm better because I spend a week or more in one spot
10. I'm better because I full-time - I'm better because I part-time - I'm better because I weekend - I'm better because I do 2-week-stretches - I'm better because I snowbird
11. I'm better because I don't talk to other RVers/Campers - I'm better because I visit with everyone in the campground/park/Walmart/Truckstop/boondock location
12. I'm better because I always use hookups - I'm better because I never use hookups - I'm better because I do both
13. I'm better because I use flooded batteries - I'm better because I use AGM batteries - I'm better because I use 12v batteries - I'm better because I use 6v batteries
14. I'm better because I use solar - I'm better because I use a generator - I'm better because I use hookups - I'm better because I use none
15. I'm better because I don't make reservations - I'm better because I make reservations

What have I missed?
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)
66 REPLIES 66

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think some folks are reading too much into this.

The "I'm better because" is not meant (in this thread) to impart an insult to others. It is meant to point out the silliness of getting our panties in a wad because someone does things differently than we do.

This was meant to be a thread where everyone could make note of these silly arguments without hijacking real threads. It wasn't meant to be a "I need to defend my choices at all cost" type thread.

But, as is true with all threads, you can't control where it goes - so have at it! :B

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad someone revived this thread, because I didn't get around to posting it originally :).

But I thought it was going to be a place for us to post tongue-in-cheek about OURSELVES! And some people are using it that way. It's more fun to call out yourself than other people, right? (I'm better because I can laugh at myself.)

I'm also because I grew up tent camping in remote areas and I carry a lot of tools. Some people are better because they have never ventured west of the Rockies and only carry a credit card ;).

(That last sentence was me trying to get with the program -- but really, the one before it was more fun to write. Try it!)
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
No - there's free expression and then there's "do it my way or you're a moron".

Similarly there are people who make a big deal about a poster who asks a question using the not-excactly-correct term for something, even though the word(s) the OP uses are common usage and everyone understands what the OP is talking about.

Instead of answering the OP's question, the "expert" responder has to spell out why the OP is stupid for using that term and after a verbose explanation of what the OP SHOULD have said, the responder still doesn't give the OP a decent answer to their question.

It's great when people are willing to share their knowledge. Some could be nicer about it, though.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to be a sensitive issue? I've noticed that expressing an opinion of any sort can be "dangerous". It just seems that a lot of folks are very sensitive about being told or the implication that they should do this or that. It's like "don't you dare try to tell me what to do" This attitude doesn't go well with a forum of free expression that encourages participation. Now, bet I'll get critisized for what I just said.
Jayco-noslide

dannytas
Explorer
Explorer
my ewe's better than your ewe because has better wool...
2014 Keystone Springdale 202QBWE
1998 Dodge 1500 Club Cab, 4x4, 5.9 magnum
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCats-Pokie and Dottie

SuperiorBound
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoyed reading this, made for a good laugh.
Love it when we can laugh at ourselves.
Let's see, I am better because I tow a teardrop with a VW Beetle so I use less gas,
Yeah, that's the one I will go with.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting thread.... Borderline trolling but still interesting. :B

One of the prime directives of viewing any internet Forum is that when you get free advice you get what you paid for.

Another is keeping in mind that what works for one person might not for someone else. Case in point, our 24' C is the perfect coach for us. I am 5'9", my bride 5'1", if you are much taller than that or the first number when you step on the scale is larger than "one" our coach, especially the shower, is not going to work very well for you.... No matter how much we love it.

Also, IMHO: Sharing things that have worked well for you is a good thing that in no way reflects that you are in any way better. Most of the useful tips I use on every trip come from a member of this or other similar Forums. I am nothing but grateful for this info though often I think: :S. Why didn't I think of that?

Disagree with anything posted here? Feel free, who knows, it might just make you feel... Dare I say it? "Better"

:B

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a moral to the O/P's first post in this thread.. And it is one that a friend of mine called the law of requisite choice: You may live only so long as TOTAL CHOICES is greater than FATAL CHOICES.. Or in shore Choice is good.

Some folks think I'm nuts for towing a trailer (In an earlier part of my life) or driving a motor home (now) They would rather stay in a nice Hotel. (Ever look at what's under (or over) the mattress in a hotel?)>

Choice is good.. And it is good that we can all make our own choices. Cause a week from Thursday.. I get to sing at a celebration about a man named John (just like me Different last name though) who ran out of choices.... Yes. it's called a funeral.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
But I'm the best because I got all this useful information for free!:B
Jim

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm better because I can blurt out a canned answer without considering the post...

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
I am certainly no "better" than anyone else here. "Different"? Yes indeed. 588 posts in 9 years. It's actually 704 in 15 years, but that's another story. If "better" means racking up thousands of posts for no particular reason(s), I must be a loser, or whatever the apposition is to "better".
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Oldme wrote:
Because I am a VERGO and we are always Right.

Always right except when trying to spell "Virgo" perhaps. ๐Ÿ˜‰
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oldme wrote:

I thought VIRGOS were always right. But since you're a VERGO, then I must be wrong.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Just substitute the word "different" for "better" and its correct.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer