cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I needs tips on making the route the destination!

rv-dreaming
Explorer
Explorer
We've always planned our trips with the idea of getting to our destination as fast as possible. Now that we have more time, we would like some tips on how to find interesting things to see and do, and places to stay, while heading from Florida to the UP of Michigan.
19 REPLIES 19

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've made several trips of this type, RV and car, from the plains west to Sierras, and add extra days to my destination trips (a couple hundred over past 45 years) so I can explore new places between NE Oklahoma (and other places I've lived) and frequent destinations like Michigan, Florida, South Texas, Arizona, Chicago. For example, to get from here to Florida it doesn't matter much on distance whether I drive to the Gulf Coast and go east, or the Atlantic Coast and go south.

I have a number of road trip planning resources including scenic road guides from Reader's Digest and National Geographic, three different RV road trip books, additional generic road trip books (particularly like to work with Jamie Jensen's "Road Trip USA" for "what to see" ideas. I also collect state tourist guide, park guides, RV park brochures, guides for major cities. As mentioned, most of this information is now readily accessed online, but I find it easier working from paper.

Since 2004 I've gotten away from national and regional highway maps, putting trips together on Microsoft Streets and Trips, which figures out miles and time for me, works in time for stops (tourist and overnight) and handles major changes quickly and easily.

Staying away from Interstates? Depends on what kinds of places you want to visit. I'm mostly on U.S. numbered highways, I want to see the small towns bypassed by the Interstate system, and we don't have much Interstate coverage in this part of the country. But if your interests are what's in the major cities, the Interstates are the best connection between those cities, and in many cases the older highways are underneath the new roads, or run closely alongside.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

2010Liberty
Explorer
Explorer
leave late stop early and stay awhile. Chamber sites, State welcome centers. One of the activities in our winter park near Tucson is a travel club where folks bring their travel brochures on an area and talk about what they like in a state/area. then they say next week we are going to_________. then it repeats itself. you find out about fun things to do and see.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the roads which were the main highways BEFORE the interstate system was built. Use scenic routes whenever possible. If moving from one area to another keep the distance down to < 250 miles a day. Stop & actually get out at the various turnouts & scenic views. If you do need to use the interstate, don't be the guy flying past everyone else. Don't be the one creating a train either. Set a speed, usually 66, where most are passing you. What's the rush?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
I still like a good book. The travel section in your library or bookstore will have some good food for thought. National Geographic has several travel books including State Parks and Scenic Byways. Frommer's Guides might save planning time. 1000 Places to See books are interesting. There are many books about road trips and RV travel. A good atlas will indicate some points of interest right on the map, too.

rv-dreaming
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I'm now looking at routes to take that are less traveled and will be looking for places to stay and things to do around every 250 miles or so.

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice so far...

1) Limit driving distance - approx. 250 miles per day

2) try to use secondary roads

But as a fellow "Interstate warrior" (still am) I think it will take numerous trips to learn how to slow down and smell the roses. And if you need to, jump back on an interstate for a day. It helps you "feel" like you are accomplishing something LOL, but then slow down and plan your next day for off the interstate.

When time permits I do use secondary routes and, boy, I get all antsy and anxious, like I NEED to make good time or cover "X" amount of miles. I am sure it will be a learning curve so just roll with it and enjoy.

And maybe give us a follow up after a few trips and let us know what you found out. I'd be interested to hear how you found the transition.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good suggestions, especially about getting off the interstates. I like to use a trip mapping program that lets me down load points of interest (POIs) from sources like the Discovery Owner's Forum and the POI Factory. You can then see the icons for the attractions on the map as you are considering a route.

There are also many websites that I have found useful. Here are a few of them:
National Parks,
National Wildlife Rufuges,
State Parks,
Scenic Byways,
Legends of America,
Roadside America,
Ghost Towns,
Slot Canyons,
Pow Wows,
Flea Markets,
Rock Art,
Native American Ruins,
Factory Tours,
Waterfalls,
Scenic Railroads,
State Fairs,
Lighthouses.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Roads_Less_Trav
Explorer II
Explorer II
The whole beauty of RVing is being able to go slowly.

Like others say here, the basics are: 100 miles max per day, No interstates, 3 day minimum stop

We gave up researching our destinations ahead of time ages ago. Our favorite thing is to stop at the visitors center and pick up whatever literature they have. Talk to the people there to find out what's where and what's good. Take that stack of literature back to the RV and spend a few hours perusing it.

Then wander around. Talk to the people in the stores and the people on the streets. Find out what the locals like about their area and where their favorite places are.

For us, that is travel at its best. We've been doing it for over 6 years and still love it and find it fresh and exciting.
2007 Hitchhiker II 34.5 RLTG Fifth Wheel
2007 Dodge RAM 3500 Long Bed / Single Rear Wheel
Traveling full-time in an RV and sailboat since 2007
Our full-time blog: http://roadslesstraveled.us
-Stories, photos, and lots of RVing tips!!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
On a trip I was planning, I did a search on "(State Name) Tourism" and found that each state I was passing through had a pretty good list of things to see and places to go. Since then, I've done the same thing for all the other states. Most of them want you to visit (and drop a little money), so now, I just refer to that list each time I'm planning a trip.
When I cross a state border, I stop at the first state rest area, check the rack of "places to see" brochures and talk to the folks behind the counter if they're not too busy, to see if they have a favorite and know of any road problems ahead. Its also a chance to stretch my legs and use their restroom instead of mine.
BTW, almost every state has brochures for "Ripley's Believe It Or Not". ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
After many, many years of traveling all over, including Europe, we have stopped making plans. We cover the basics and go with the flow. If something looks interesting we stop and check it out. No plans means no schedule, no stop watch, no missed events.
College towns are always interesting to visit, always something going on. Pick up the local paper and check it out.

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
As some posters said, stay off the sterile interstates and take the secondary roads. And do some research on interests along the route you plan to take. Iโ€™m a great planner, right down to the natโ€™s eyebrow. But that seems to satisfy my urge to plan and when I leave I just wander indiscriminately. If I see something of interest I may take off in an entirely different direction. Iโ€™m a history buff, especially military history, so I try to hit those places. But the route there may be quite erratic. Works for me, no stress, no schedules, and no reservations. And no big cities, freeways or interstates.

In the west it works fine locating a camp spot, thereโ€™s a lot of public land. Elsewhere it is probably more difficult. But the few times Iโ€™ve been in that situation the DW just looks up a CG in range and calls ahead for a spot. I donโ€™t recall even not getting one.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, you need to get off the interstates. The secondary roads are just fine for RVs. Then you have to figure on adding some miles to that trip. Now you might be going straight up through Georgia. However, you can get to the U.P. many ways through different states.

You can even go through Wisconsin to the U.P. Travel along the coast to Mississippi and drive the Natches Trace up Mississippi. Explore the many wonderful Alabama State Parks. Arkansas and Missouri have terrific state parks and Corp of Engineer parks.

Once there, go to the local Visitor Center for ideas on what to do around the area. Explore a 50-mile radius.

If you have special interests, zero in on those - fishing, car museums, quilt shops for the lady, etc.

This is the way we enjoy our travels. We've full-timed for 16 years and still haven't seen all there is to see! Have fun!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Turner__P
Explorer
Explorer
Every state has a tourism website and will send you free information. Just Google "Florida tourism" and you will amazed at what you can find. Also, there a lot of factory tours available...... another Google "factory tours".

Happy trails!
Paul T

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
Trip Adviser is another good source for places to see and where to eat. I am amazed at some out of the way attractions we find when traveling. It is also a good source to find restaurants.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!