cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If your RV is stored outside, go check on it.

Wingcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I went over to the storage unit today to look over our rv and noticed a broken vent cover laying on the ground a few feet away. Climbing the ladder to check my vent covers, which were fine, I could see the front vent cover missing on a fifth wheel that is parked close to ours. We had some big winds a couple weeks ago, and some big rains since then.

The weather people are predicting 100 per cent chance of rain tomorrow, so I called the owners of the storage facility and gave them the information. They were going to call the 5th wheel owner.

Later, I wondered if they made contact. Are the owners out of town for the holidays? I tried to call again but the business was closed for the day. so, now what do I do. Do I go home and find some plastic and go up and cover it up? We had a little freezing rain and snow the last couple days so I wasn't excited about the thought of falling off a strangers RV.

I decided to drive to the business and try to catch an employee leaving. Fortunately, I did talk to the lady that called he owner. She said it was a local number and when she told them of the problem, all they said was thank you. I guess I won't worry about it anymore.

Now don't get me wrong here. I'm not after any praise or reward. What I wish, is that the owner would have said, We will go over right away and take care of it, or I don't know what to do, I have no one to help. Then I could have followed up and made sure it is covered up.

It is an older rv and the vent is above the bedroom area. I'm afraid here may already be a lot of water damage in there. Maybe they already know and its an insurance issue.

I know there are people watching out for me and I just want to do the same for others. Hopefully this will inspire someone to go check their rv if they haven't for a while. Have a safe and happy new year everyone.
19 REPLIES 19

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just because the owner only said "Thank You" doesn't mean that they didn't care or were not going to take care of it. They might be the ones that came out to cover it up.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wingcamper wrote:
I went over to the storage unit today to look over our rv and noticed a broken vent cover laying on the ground a few feet away. Climbing the ladder to check my vent covers, which were fine, I could see the front vent cover missing on a fifth wheel that is parked close to ours. We had some big winds a couple weeks ago, and some big rains since then.

What you describe is exactly why I installed vent covers over the vents on our RV's roof years ago.

Two things drove me to do it:

1. One vent was cracked when we bought it due to the RV sitting in the sun too much at the dealer's lot!

2. Us being out with the RV, going hiking, and it starting to rain, and me remembering that I had left a vent open back at the trailhead!

Now with vent covers we can leave our vents open for ventilation - when it's raining and in high winds and when we're sleeping.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
It's great to know there are some conscientious neighbors. You could have saved the owner of the 5th wheel thousands in damages had the worst occurred and water from a storm flooded the RV.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Good on you for going out of your way on this issue. Like many others, I would be most appreciative of your efforts. The world would be a much better place if there were more people like you! ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Wingcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I just had to know. It had already been raining for about three hours this morning when I had to go out on an errand. On the way home I went to check out the 5th wheel, and was prepared to cover it. Well, Wooo Hooo, it was covered. Someone had put heavy plastic over the vent with blocks over it. I just felt down deep the owner didn't know about it and I'm so glad it's covered.
When I go over to the storage from now on, this experience will help me be more aware of things around other rv's, and not take appearances for granted.
2019 tomorrow. It won't be long and we will be camping....I keep telling myself.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
This is the first time we've not had our camper on our lot, I don;t like it much, but we have to do it this way right now. Went by today, drained it, put the pink stuff in the traps, did a check on it. It's supposed to go below 30* for at least 6 hours tomorrow. At least it's close and I can get to it 24/7/365.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked out my window mine is good.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
TwoManyToyz wrote:
Iraqvet05 wrote:
You did the right thing but some people just don't seem to care, especially if it's an older camper. There are 2-3 older campers in my storage lot that have seen better days. The one next to me seems to be used as a storage trailer...it's full of junk and the TTs fiberglass siding is horribly delaminated.

This is so true and its not just in the RV world, I'm a boater too and it kills Me to see some of the stuff people do to new, or newer boats. Just like RV's. Some times I think there needs to be a Stupidity test before you can by a boat or RV.

Off topic but relevant. I have a good friend who is into wooden boats. He restored a beautiful mid-50's ChrisCraft - it looked like a piece of furniture you could put in your home! For example, he cut plugs out of spare planking so the covers over screw heads would have same wood grain as the planking!

Moving on to other projects he sold the boat and year later saw a pic of it sitting in a lean-to (in Wisconsin!) with the front 1/3 of the boat exposed to the elements! About broke his heart.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Although my RV is in covered storage I would greatly appreciate if anyone told me of a problem with my RV. I want to applaud your efforts to notify the owner.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
True "Good Sam", I certainly appreciate the effort. If it was my camper, I would sure like to know. Just one more reason that I have the rainproof vent covers over the factory vents. I've had camping partners that have had their vents simply crumble from age and UV degradation. Having a vent cover gives the added benefit of protecting against this.

Happy New Years everyone! Have a safe night!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad mine stays inside my barn.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
you did what you did. this is all you can do.

you are worrying way too much after you did the call.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I have good neighbors, there is still room for the OP. That is what we all need to be doing when we see something wrong.
Puma 30RKSS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Itโ€™s also very possible the owner is new and just doesnโ€™t understand the gravity of the situation. There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is where you simply do not know better. Stupidity is where you know better and do it anyway.