cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Illegal GPS mounting

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Was stopped by a Arizona Highway Patrol officer for having my GPS mounted on the middle of the windshield. Was told that it was only allowed on the windshield in the bottom right or left lower corner. Luckily only got a warning,
What is funny is it illegal to mount your GPS in the center of your windshield in Arizona but it is not illegal to text while driving.

GPS mounting by state
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen
114 REPLIES 114

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
OkSixpack wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Wow! I just tuned in because of the topic. You guys have gone waaaaay off it! Time to close this one down.

Just don't read it and it won't bother you....
Jim

Get a clue....there is no usefull info in this thread anymore...just ranting by some.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Wow! I just tuned in because of the topic. You guys have gone waaaaay off it! Time to close this one down.

Just don't read it and it won't bother you....
Jim

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
That law isn't there to protect you. That's my point.

It's there to provide an excuse for an otherwise-illegal stop, so the police can "make contact". From that point, they want to issue you a fine or, better yet, seize your assets.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with safety.
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
milo wrote:
Well heck....since some of you got way off topic...I'll throw this out...guess my Edge CTS monitor that I have mounted in the upper corner of the windshield drivers side is legal ..it's not a GPS monitor...OBTW my GPS monitor is on a bean bag mount & sits in front & below the center fold down back rest.

Is there any law that says I can't mount a dash cam up behind the rear view mirror so it's centered in the upper top part of the windshield?

If it's not directly attached to the windshield you are good. These laws are idiotic. I'm not sure what they are intending to protect us from.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought the serious tin foil hats lived in Montana and SOUTH Carolina.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sport45 wrote:
I get it. I get stopped for a burnt out tail light. Then I decide not to show up in court because I don't have what I'm afraid the fine will be. (But apparently I have money for dope.) A warrant is issued because I failed to show. The next time I'm caught I decide to run and wind up under arrest.

I must be dense, because I still don't see how that is the fault of the police.

Police state... textbook definition...:W
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
I get it. I get stopped for a burnt out tail light. Then I decide not to show up in court because I don't have what I'm afraid the fine will be. (But apparently I have money for dope.) A warrant is issued because I failed to show. The next time I'm caught I decide to run and wind up under arrest.

I must be dense, because I still don't see how that is the fault of the police.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well heck....since some of you got way off topic...I'll throw this out...guess my Edge CTS monitor that I have mounted in the upper corner of the windshield drivers side is legal ..it's not a GPS monitor...OBTW my GPS monitor is on a bean bag mount & sits in front & below the center fold down back rest.

Is there any law that says I can't mount a dash cam up behind the rear view mirror so it's centered in the upper top part of the windshield?
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
https://improvingpolice.wordpress.com/2014/09/18/how-a-traffic-offense-can-be-a-ticket-to-prison/
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
northmeck0255 wrote:
Well, some day soon, when YOU are on the road being harassed over a minor traffic infraction (e.g. rolling thru a stop sign), and the friendly officer creates probable cause to search you and your vehicle out of thin air "that Coke can you threw away at the tollbooth could have been contraband", then you will find out what I mean. The police are NOT your friends, and they are NOT there to protect you. The sooner you realize this the better.

They have turned large swaths of the public against them by employing sleazy and heavy handed tactics. I am in no way excusing the rioting in Ferguson, but part of what led up to the situation was a pattern of stopping people for minor BS. That leads to a fine. Inability to pay leads to more fines, then warrants, then jail.....over a burned out tail light (or a GPS in the wrong location).

I've been stopped more times than I care to admit and not once did I feel harassed. That includes when there were rifles in plain sight because I was going to or from the range.

And really, you expect us to believe somebody had gone to jail for a burnt out tail light? You're going to have to provide something stronger than conjecture to back that up.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
northmeck0255 wrote:
Ok, you guys are obviously fine with in-constitutional harassment and extortion. I'm not.

I am a proud American CITIZEN who reveres the Constitution. I'm not the grovelling subject of a despot State. I will not meekly submit to the creeping fascism that is growing in our country. You will have to make your own decisions on this subject.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
-Tacitus

Enough soapbox.

Good night, all.

Well you have taken this thread down...congrats.

Get a grip!!!
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, you guys are obviously fine with un-constitutional harassment and extortion. I'm not.

I am a proud American CITIZEN who reveres the Constitution. I'm not the grovelling subject of a despot State. I will not meekly submit to the creeping fascism that is growing in our country. You will have to make your own decisions on this subject.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
-Tacitus

Enough soapbox.

Good night, all.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
I know the facts. When's the last time you were in Lagos or Kuala Lumpur??
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4