cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

Not applicable
But from what I understand, this part of the country, south Texas, is not heavens gate. Hot, hot, hot, HOT summers. Hell, I hear, 80's in the winter. When the rain comes, the mud clings to your feet and by the time you get back to your rig, you're walking on 6" of mud clinging to the boots. I'm not sure $125/day sounds fair. Seems $200/day is more appropriate. Maybe all the RV'ers need to get together and stand together for higher pay. I mean, we're talking the OIL INDUSTRY$$$$$$$. You know what kind of money they pay those roughnecks on the rigs? Granted they are doing a more laborous/dangerous job, but still, the money is there to throw around. Gate guards should see some of it also.
Glenn
Retired Navy Saturation Diver
2011 230RKS Wind River - Outdoors RV
2011 F-350 Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel Short Box
Longview, WA

HobbyTalk
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a gate guard but have seen such things in contract work as I worked a bit for a builder that used contractors. It's not like you are an employee and being fired. You will just be told your services are no longer needed.
Sold the RV, bought a house in North Fort Myers
tgif: let's RV - Facebook

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
SlickWillie wrote:
GGup wrote:
SlickWillie wrote:
I have a friend that went to GG in Corpus a few days ago. He was told there are about 30 ahead of him. Also, there has been a change in getting whatever security clearance one needs for the job.

What are the changes? By the State or GG?

We are waiting but hope it will be late next week before we get a gate. Should be soon, I think.

I do not see the tie in of employee vs. contract for the search by the leasing company!

I'll have to talk to the neighbor again; don't want to provide the wrong info. He told me something in the testing has changed.

You may be correct in the searches not effecting the employment status. However, I just can't see illegal searches holding up here in Texas, with the gun laws we have. I'd almost call BS on the searches. [COLOR=]Would like to hear from someone who has actually had their RV searched.
The change he made reference to was probably when they stopped the online testing this year and went back to a paper trail.

As far as the search holding up, what you forget is this is contract work and part of their contract says, "no weapons, drugs or alcohol" allowed on the work site. As I said, you are allowed to refuse the search, but you will be replaced within a couple of hours, IAW the contract. Yes, we have had several searched and in a couple of cases, they were removed from the gate within hours. You are made aware of these rules prior to going with that company, so there is NO surprise. I have a national carry permit, supposedly valid in all 50 states, but the policy of company you work for, trumps most scenarios when it comes to being armed on company property, even here in Texas.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

SlickWillie
Explorer
Explorer
GGup wrote:
SlickWillie wrote:
I have a friend that went to GG in Corpus a few days ago. He was told there are about 30 ahead of him. Also, there has been a change in getting whatever security clearance one needs for the job.

We are waiting but hope it will be late next week before we get a gate. Should be soon, I think.

I do not see the tie in of employee vs. contract for the search by the leasing company!

I'll have to talk to the neighbor again; don't want to provide the wrong info. He told me something in the testing has changed.

You may be correct in the searches not effecting the employment status. However, I just can't see illegal searches holding up here in Texas, with the gun laws we have. I'd almost call BS on the searches. [COLOR=]Would like to hear from someone who has actually had their RV searched.
Will
2013 Chevy CC D/A 3500 4X4
2012 Rushmore 38CK

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
Last April we were on a Nabors Drilling unit and right next to the pad. Found that the "watching" was GREAT! However after only 12 days our rigs were spotted with diesel and crude they blow off the platform and got into the wind and covered them! Took me over two days to just get the spots off the top of the MH!!! Never was so clean but what a job!

Hope you are never down wind from them...which is hard to do in TX!

Have a good stay. Maybe we can meet for lunch sometime in one of the towns. Some of us did this last Spring at McDonalds just so we knew each other. Might help that when one of us needs a spell or break and someone is "resting' waiting for a gate they can spell each other.
RUBY 2, 04' Born Free 24RB
37 CKSLS Cameo by Carriage
'08 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.4Diesel
4.88 Gears AT, SCTLivewire
B&W Companion hitch
I'm a BSG'er!! Only 3 RULES:
Have a "B", Had a "B", or Want a "B"!!

wingerphil
Explorer
Explorer
Our site is a Nabor's lease. Seem to be pretty good to work for but only have the first 12 hours to go by. Not checking in and out until tomorrow and then only the 4 wheelers, company man said to wave the semis on through until the rig is on site.
Our gate is pretty much right next to the drilling pad so we have front row seats for all the action. Looking forward to what tomorrow brings.

Phil and Rudee
Phil
Our Blog
2002 Winnebago Journey
2007 Dodge Dakota "Toad"
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
wingerphil wrote:
deployed to a gate this morning 15 miles south of Las Vegas, Tx. Rig coming in tomorrow sometime and then the "fun" starts.

Good to hear you got a gate. Hope you have good people to work for. We mostly work days there have been a few late nite deliveries. Very dusty but the company keeps the road watered down. We are on a hunting ranch the wild life is really neat. Got a picture of a 10 point buck seen bobcats, havalina, all types of birds, and a mountain lion 3 different times.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
Phil, is that a Chesapeake Lease? We go to one near Big Wells, on the 9th. Not sure where from BW's.
B&W Companion hitch

wingerphil
Explorer
Explorer
deployed to a gate this morning 15 miles south of Las Vegas, Tx. Rig coming in tomorrow sometime and then the "fun" starts.
Phil
Our Blog
2002 Winnebago Journey
2007 Dodge Dakota "Toad"
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

nbargolf
Explorer
Explorer
"Pioneer will come to your RV with their K-9 and ask to search the RV. Your option, but a no sends you packing". Well I am glad to read your post. We were looking into this but there is no way we would work for anyone with this Nazi style treatment. We will stick with campground host where they respect your home as your PRIVATE property.

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
SlickWillie wrote:

B&W Companion hitch

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
Wow....Swift superintendent stopped by today and brought DW and I a really big very good cheese burger. What a surprise.....wasn't expecting that.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Here's our visitor.

Mark Bass

SlickWillie
Explorer
Explorer
Blondie Girl wrote:
Is GGS putting people on the Marathon gates now? Does anyone know where the Marathon gates are located? The last I heard was that Marathon was still in the process of obtaining official possession of the leases, but that was a week or so ago. It sounds like GGS has a lot of people wanting jobs. At least the Marathon gates will put some of them to work.

Will
2013 Chevy CC D/A 3500 4X4
2012 Rushmore 38CK

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
Blondie Girl wrote:
Don/Shar, love the picture of your "visitor". Now that would be a wonderful sight to see! All we have seen are some cows, coyotes, a jackrabbit and the farm dogs from down the road.

We are on a hunting ranch, we have seen havalina, coyotes, roadrunner, bobcat, and saw a mountain lion about a mile back in the ranch. He was big and had about 6 foot tail.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon