cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
gktsuda1956 wrote:
WOW!! Let me APOLOGIZE. I was NOT encouraging unions. I was using it as a comparitive to pay justification to a everyday, common labor field that MANY of us have used in our life time.

I have read posts (not necessarily on this site, as I follow several blogs about gate guarding)where long hours and hundreds of trucks are signed in over a period of time. I FELT that the compensation as I understood it ($125/day) was not fair compensation for the work performed. It seemed to me that if the gate is running 24 hours during this period, w/ 2 people runnning it, then the compensation should be based on at least minimum wage, which in Texas as of 1/1/2012, would be $183.60.
Texas overtime
According to this website over 40 hours per week is time and a half. The "industry" has a good deal having found the many RV'ers willing to perform this work. And it's good for society, retiree community, Rv'ers who desire work in their later years and not looking to "rock" in the rocking chair. I APPLAUD YOU ALL!!!!

I'm not being critical of anyone gate guarding, in fact I find this whole "industry" fascinating. I admire ALL of you and enjoy reading about your experiences.

I did 21 years in the Navy, and I love travel and new experiences. If my life allowed it, I would drop everything and join the multitude of you performing this work.

Nothing in my original post was meant to be offensive or confrontational or critical of anyone or anything. The initial poster got the original post off track into "union discussions".

I started this topic for gate guards and we can be kind of "clannish" about our occupation. A good percentage of us went into this after a lot of research; so we knew what to expect. Anyone is welcome to chime in, including you. As I said in the beginning, the idea was not to veer off into separate tangents. Apology accepted.
Mark Bass

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Leathercrafter wrote:
Blondie Girl wrote:
OK...Who is gate-guarding for the rig that is drilling right beside Walmart in Kenedy?? Now ladies..that would be the perfect gate, wouldn't it? Right next door to Walmart!!

I saw that yesterday when I was in town. We're just north of Karnes City off of 80.

We're off of 80 on 119 (towards Yorktown) on CR 360. Still looking for folks that want to swap or gals that want to join the DW shopping.
Mark Bass

Not applicable
WOW!! Let me APOLOGIZE. I was NOT encouraging unions. I was using it as a comparitive to pay justification to a everyday, common labor field that MANY of us have used in our life time.

I have read posts (not necessarily on this site, as I follow several blogs about gate guarding)where long hours and hundreds of trucks are signed in over a period of time. I FELT that the compensation as I understood it ($125/day) was not fair compensation for the work performed. It seemed to me that if the gate is running 24 hours during this period, w/ 2 people runnning it, then the compensation should be based on at least minimum wage, which in Texas as of 1/1/2012, would be $183.60.
Texas overtime
According to this website over 40 hours per week is time and a half. The "industry" has a good deal having found the many RV'ers willing to perform this work. And it's good for society, retiree community, Rv'ers who desire work in their later years and not looking to "rock" in the rocking chair. I APPLAUD YOU ALL!!!!

I'm not being critical of anyone gate guarding, in fact I find this whole "industry" fascinating. I admire ALL of you and enjoy reading about your experiences.

I did 21 years in the Navy, and I love travel and new experiences. If my life allowed it, I would drop everything and join the multitude of you performing this work.

Nothing in my original post was meant to be offensive or confrontational or critical of anyone or anything. The initial poster got the original post off track into "union discussions".
Glenn
Retired Navy Saturation Diver
2011 230RKS Wind River - Outdoors RV
2011 F-350 Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel Short Box
Longview, WA

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
They are moving pipe and pumps back in and I am sure the trailers will come then the chemicals for 10 Jan. frack. Vacation is about over!!!
RUBY 2, 04' Born Free 24RB
37 CKSLS Cameo by Carriage
'08 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.4Diesel
4.88 Gears AT, SCTLivewire
B&W Companion hitch
I'm a BSG'er!! Only 3 RULES:
Have a "B", Had a "B", or Want a "B"!!

Leathercrafter
Explorer
Explorer
Blondie Girl wrote:
OK...Who is gate-guarding for the rig that is drilling right beside Walmart in Kenedy?? Now ladies..that would be the perfect gate, wouldn't it? Right next door to Walmart!!

I saw that yesterday when I was in town. We're just north of Karnes City off of 80.

newk
Explorer
Explorer
Blondie Girl wrote:

Let me know when there's gate job next door to Cabellas. :W

Blondie_Girl
Explorer
Explorer

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
wingerphil wrote:
mdbass wrote:
Also, our company men don't want traffic held up, so we don't log big trucks during rig moves. It's a pretty good gig!

Our gate started out that way but rig had a blow out and the upper management had a hissy after asking to see our logs. We were following the company mans instructions, no semis logged and only 1st name of driver and company on the other vehicles. Now we are required to log in every vehicle and every occupant inside, first name and last. Sure was easier the other way. ๐Ÿ™‚

Our rig is finishing their 2nd well here and are packing up to leave. Not sure what, where or when our next move will be. No word on fracking and they are capping the first well so not sure if the gate will stay manned or not.

We were told to log every vehicle by license number, first name of the driver.
Let me know if you move, I still want to get out to see you. As Lebanonites I would like to meet.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
We are spoiled with our check in procedure, all 150 site employees have a brass number and that is all we get for a name. The rest of the blanks on the log says, "on file" as the contractor is required to have a current list and furnish us an updated copy weekly. Today we had 6 pages, but it is an easy gate, as NO sales people are allowed in at any time, only working site personnel and vendors with equipment on site.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

wingerphil
Explorer
Explorer
mdbass wrote:
Also, our company men don't want traffic held up, so we don't log big trucks during rig moves. It's a pretty good gig!

Our gate started out that way but rig had a blow out and the upper management had a hissy after asking to see our logs. We were following the company mans instructions, no semis logged and only 1st name of driver and company on the other vehicles. Now we are required to log in every vehicle and every occupant inside, first name and last. Sure was easier the other way. ๐Ÿ™‚

Our rig is finishing their 2nd well here and are packing up to leave. Not sure what, where or when our next move will be. No word on fracking and they are capping the first well so not sure if the gate will stay manned or not.
Phil
Our Blog
2002 Winnebago Journey
2007 Dodge Dakota "Toad"
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
western...:B
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
DianneOK wrote:
Might suggest that you delete just those posts you feel are out of line and maybe say why vs. closing the thread down. I look forward to new posts so would cut into my daily enjoyment. Thanks for listening.

You do not see what I HAVE deleted, just the ones that get by me before I get to them.
If the forum ever wanted to get a little revenue, have them set up a fee based forum that all those deleted posts would be sent to and the mean, profane, and hateful threads could continue. I would pay to see those.:)

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Geeez-I think we've barely broken 100 pages in the last 4 months. No complaints-just saying. We follow the rig, so we don't hang around for
fracking. Also, our company men don't want traffic held up, so we don't log big trucks during rig moves. It's a pretty good gig!
Mark Bass

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
Well they started to frac last night....this morning the company man told me they screen out last night. They have sand coming back up all over the place, they are pulling the whole crew out today ( some just arrived yesterday) and going to another hole. Now we wait for the cold tubing guys to come back and re perferate the hole. The frac crew will then come back.(when they get done where they are going).....may be sitting for a while. Our drill rig is not coming back till the end of Feb or 1st of March.
We have been on this gate since the 5th of October. Just finished log page number 150. Not a lot of traffic till the rig moves in and out or the frac rig moves in and this after noon go out.
Caterer just came in said we were having Stuffed Quail wrapped in Bacon today for lunch.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

GGup
Explorer
Explorer
:E :E To those you caught!!! :B:) Put a BIG SMILE on my face.
So here is my update:
This gate we are on has had the pipeline crew in and set up for the production of 3 drilled wells. They brought in the fracking tanks, pipe, etc. and then decided they would change the date . That was back before Dec. 13th. Yesterday the Porta Potti fellow came back and was only on site about 2 minutes at each of 4 PP's. So not much activity there either. Looks like maybe the 10 or 14 of Jan. will be the beginning of the first frack. Just enjoying the vacation and time to computer it as much as I want. DW even took a couple days off and I ran the "show". She came back MORE tired than when she left!!! Change is hard on a person! :W

What a way to live and make my thinking NEVER TO LATE TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD a reality. :@
RUBY 2, 04' Born Free 24RB
37 CKSLS Cameo by Carriage
'08 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.4Diesel
4.88 Gears AT, SCTLivewire
B&W Companion hitch
I'm a BSG'er!! Only 3 RULES:
Have a "B", Had a "B", or Want a "B"!!