cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Information Discussion for Gate Guards

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd start a new topic for Gate Guards to use for comments. Like the moderator suggested-keep technical stuff, recipes, mechanical, etc. where they belong. Lets hear from everyone sucking down that caliche dust.
Mark Bass
1,262 REPLIES 1,262

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
gktsuda1956 wrote:
Hmmm, I've followed this link for some time. Even told a friend about this industry and he and his wife are planning on joining your ranks. Really respect all of you for what you do and live thru (floods, dry dusty spells, mud and rain, heat, rattle snakes, etc). But I am now convinced those oil companies are making out like bandits. The hours you put in for $175 per day. Somebody is getting screwed and it's NOT the oil companies.
It all depends on your definition getting screwed....LOL....We have been on this same gate for almost 8 months now and in no way do we feel we are being screwed. We open our gate at 7am or later and close it at 5pm, or earlier if the crews leaves early, M-F. On weekends we open if we have someone that is authorized to be on site, other wise we leave the gate closed all day.

Even when we were following a rig last year, we were NEVER over worked and always were able to get 8 hours uninterrupted sleep most every day. The job is what you make it and we feel that the money is OK for the work preformed. What you are over looking is that most companies will pay extra for a heavily traveled gate and we have seen as high as $575/day for one gate. Now do you still call that being screwed..:?

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

maxx233
Explorer
Explorer
gktsuda1956 wrote:
Hmmm, I've followed this link for some time. Even told a friend about this industry and he and his wife are planning on joining your ranks. Really respect all of you for what you do and live thru (floods, dry dusty spells, mud and rain, heat, rattle snakes, etc). But I am now convinced those oil companies are making out like bandits. The hours you put in for $175 per day. Somebody is getting screwed and it's NOT the oil companies.

It's a matter of perspective and what one chooses to be grouchy about, really. My wife and I are in our 20s, left normal life a year and a half ago to travel and found out about gate guarding while working at Amazon over the winter (Where we also found out how grouchy some people can be) ๐Ÿ˜‰

I can tell you that this is by far the easiest, highest-paying, stress free job *I've* ever had - and before we traveled I had a pretty cush job that I loved as a programmer analyst. For pay, the thing is, there's no expenses here. We're here in our travel trailer, that we pull with our van - all paid for with cash - and we sit around talking, playing games, etc etc... And occasionally bothering ourselves to walk outside and check someone in. Now, granted, it's hot outside, and on *our* site we have to wear FRCs and PPE, worse off than many in this forum even, but we're only out there for maybe 30 seconds at a time! Easiest job ever. There's no politics we really need to concern ourselves with, we don't even *really* have any supervision or normal rules that apply to us.. Pretty stress free.

So because the only things we're paying for are our cellphones, food, and some gas (all write-offs) we have an absolutely tremendous amount of disposable income. We're easily stashing $3k/mn into the bank - which is just about what I made, gross, before we decided to travel. So with that, we've managed to buy ourselves some beautiful land and stick a yurt on it with money from this job, so we now have our own place to live that we own outright. In just another couple months it'll have power, water, septic - all huge expenses, all paid for by this job in no time.

And what has it cost us? We've learned a lot of intriguing things about an industry we're all dependent on. We've become familiar with a nice part of Texas we would have otherwise only passed through and never absorbed any culture from. We've been forced to learn to cook - or starve. We've gotten to write off several new toys and equipment we'll certainly use after this. I've *finally* had time to pursue personal projects - playing guitar, writing a book, programming my own apps - something I falsely thought I'd have time for once I quit my job and started traveling (ha!!!) Our biggest 'cost' has been setting back the rest of our travel plans (OK, ok, our biggest cost has been stressing about tornadoes... we're from CA) ๐Ÿ˜‰ And, mind you, we're working for Gate Guard Services - who only pays $125/day.

I do think it's important to note that this job isn't for everyone, as you demonstrate it's easy to find things to gripe about. On top of your list the biggest thing I would add, what would make this job unfeasible for most, is the isolation. If you're lucky you get good cell signal and Internet. Regardless of luck, you don't get to go visit friends or go out on Friday night. So it really just depends a lot on who's going to be working the job and what's important and negligible to them. If we hadn't already been traveling and used to communicating with established relationships only every now and then, that would have killed this for us. But as it is, we couldn't hardly imagine a more ideal way of paying for a lot of standing goals in a short amount of time.

Not applicable
Glenn
Retired Navy Saturation Diver
2011 230RKS Wind River - Outdoors RV
2011 F-350 Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel Short Box
Longview, WA

mdbass
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
chilinut wrote:
chilinut wrote:
Our old gate is available. Fairly busy and located near Fowlerton. Call Raoul at 361-318-3039. You can also contact Justin@oilgates.com. We enjoyed working for him and he pays 1099. I can answer questions too. PM me for phone and info. Needs to be filled asap!
Any interested parties please call Justin immediately. The couple has abandoned the gate! One person could cover it till a permanent replacement can be found. Paid immediately for all time worked. Call Justin ASAP 512 825 7567
What company is this with?
Justin found someone for this gate-I do not know for how long-and he does pay $175 a day. We enjoyed working with him and he is looking for good people.
Mark Bass

monika4555
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't kidding but I think I found the answer. My thinking was that a single person would only have a 12 hour gate to deal with not 24 hours like a couple. Sorry if it was a stupid question.

Monika

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
Funny story on our ranch last night....one of the truck drivers stopped coming out about 12 AM and told us he had stopped along the road to relieve himself and he saw the big mountain lion that I had seen earlier. He demanded we have a sign put up to warn everyone about what is back there. He was actually scared stiff said the big cat was after him.
I haven't seen this cat since October but he was really big then.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

firedoc
Explorer
Explorer
You're kidding, right?:h
On second thought if they pay a couple $180(?)would they then pay a single double for doing the work of two? I don't think so but not as wayward a question as I first thought.
'06' 38L Fleetwood Bounder
6 speed Allison
300 Cat
2012 GMC Terrain
Roadmaster baseplate
Ready Brute Tow Bar
And M&G brake system

monika4555
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if the pay per day is $180 total for both people or $180 per day for each individual person? If a couple do they each make $180 a day?

Thanks

Leathercrafter
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:

That's J&G Security. I got a call from him earlier today asking if I was interested in work with them. They pay $175/day. I have not yet responded to his phone call. Not sure if we want to go that far south.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
chilinut wrote:
chilinut wrote:
Our old gate is available. Fairly busy and located near Fowlerton. Call Raoul at 361-318-3039. You can also contact Justin@oilgates.com. We enjoyed working for him and he pays 1099. I can answer questions too. PM me for phone and info. Needs to be filled asap!
Any interested parties please call Justin immediately. The couple has abandoned the gate! One person could cover it till a permanent replacement can be found. Paid immediately for all time worked. Call Justin ASAP 512 825 7567

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.

chilinut
Explorer
Explorer
chilinut wrote:

abusman40
Explorer
Explorer
mimi55 wrote:
I have been seeing alot of adds in "workamper news" for Loma. Any input on this company?

Company is very disjointed, they are scrambling to try and cover gates
where guards are leaving. Hard to figure what the base pay is $125, $150 or what ever they write on the back of a business card to get guards to stay.

Equipment supplied is lacking a recycle holding tank system, translucent water tanks that in this hot weather are beginning to form algae. Maintenance support leaves a lot to be desired.

They call you a independent contractor however you sign a Time sheet as a employee. Sooner or later Texas Dept. of Labor will catch up with them and they will be require to pay backpay as the guards do work overtime under the employee definition.

mike4947
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about Texas, but here in NY companies simple classify you as salaried and get around paying any overtime.
I found out about this the hard way way back when. Company I worked for had me averaging 72 hours a week. BUT the standing policy (nothing on paper of course) was if you got converted from hourly to salary you got a raise equal to your average pay per week over the previous year.
They made me salary and when I got my first paycheck it was the amount I'd been earning for only 40 hours. When I stormed up to HR they said sorry but there is a pay freeze. But of course they still expected me to work the 72 hour weekly average. Didn't stay there long after that.
blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Kilgorehorn wrote:
As a native Texan I can assure you that there is no law requiring overtime for over 8 hours a day.
No, the law says over 40, but if you read it, it allows structuring the pay week to pay for those hours over 8 per 24 hour period. It is a technical area that the companies are using to their advantage.

Kilgorehorn
Explorer
Explorer
As a native Texan I can assure you that there is no law requiring overtime for over 8 hours a day.
2000 Gulfstream Scenicruiser 39'
2011 Ford Flex
1946 DH
1952 DW
2008 Yorkie