cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installed new entry steps - Glo steps

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
In full disclosure I was recently (late September) fortunate enough to be selected to receive a set of Glosteps entry steps in return for a product evaluation that I have since completed. But regardless I will give you my honest opinion of them. I have stated here in the past that these were my aftermarket steps of choice that was on my list of modifications and now we are fortunate enough to receive a set.

As far as the installation (I wish I took pictures but I was like a kid at Christmas), it went super easy in my case as it was a text book installation. No shimming, obstacles, etc. from my understanding this isn't always the case for everybody. It literately took me 15-20 minutes by myself, although two people would be easier.

Now as far as why I love these steps (honest opinion).

1) Adjustable height on both sides of the bottom step and the top step into the trailer is also adjustable, gives you a good range for height.

2) They are completely stored outside. One of my concerns with the fold inside the doorways type is 1) I don't want to clean off the steps to bring them inside especially if they are muddy. 2) They are not in the way of the door when not in use. Often I just want to open the door to quickly put something inside.

3) They don't take up as much space to deploy. My other concern with the other fold inside step was the space required to deploy. When my 5th is stored inside our barn I wouldn't be able to get it deployed, with this one I can.

4) Build quality is very good, quality materials, sturdy, just stout construction. I also like the 7.5" step height vs 9" like what the stock ones have.

One feature it also has are the glow in the dark markers on each step. Admittedly I haven't payed that much attention to that feature yet (only camped once since installation) as we always have our awning lights on when we are outside in the evening. Though it could be useful if you are exiting in the middle of the night and don't want to turn lights on.

The only negatives of these steps that I can come up with.

1. The step are very grippy (not really a negative)! I almost tripped exiting our 5th as my grippy hiking shoes caught on the grippy edge of step. I can't blame the manufacturer for that as I am not used to steps that grippy plus I was the only one that had that issue. Guess that make me a clutz.

2. It's a two handed operation vs one. This is a slightly more complex to deploy vs. stock steps. It took a couple of times to be fully efficient at deploying and retracting the steps. It's a non issue after the third time, take about 3-4 seconds to deploy plus what ever time it takes to adjust the bottom feet if needed which is easy enough.

3.Price. Anything of quality is going to cost money and this is no exception. Kind of like me buying my B&W hitch vs a Reese, sometimes it's worth the cost.

I am not going to say these are a better choice for everybody as I know a lot of people love the solid step style as well but these have features that were important to me. And honestly so far I really like these steps.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
21 REPLIES 21

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I crunched our Elkhart Industries 4 step unit that was very solid with the direct replacement that has aluminum treads with anti skid strips. The aluminum is ribbed and anti slip. They are rock solid like originals, VERY pleased.

Site conditions dictate if I use the little step.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
RollandB wrote:
Since installing Iโ€™ve been very pleased. We store ours at a storage lot and have seen others with the MorRyde pulling their rig forward to access the inside of the unit. Something I donโ€™t have to with the three settings the Torklift can be deployed with along with the accordion style steps that allow them to still be on the ground safely deployed.

That is another awsome advantage that you can literally use the Glo Steps as a "ladder" if things are really tight. They really are truly versatile.

Dan

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve had ours on the fifth wheel for about 15 months and many trips. Narrowed the decision to this step and the MorRyde unit that goes into the trailer. One camp site was so tight near the door from a stump and shrubs hiding it it made my mind up for the Torklifts. Since installing Iโ€™ve been very pleased. We store ours at a storage lot and have seen others with the MorRyde pulling their rig forward to access the inside of the unit. Something I donโ€™t have to with the three settings the Torklift can be deployed with along with the accordion style steps that allow them to still be on the ground safely deployed.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Glo steps.
My camper was put away for the season when I got mine but I went to the storage facility to size up what it would take to install them in the spring and ended up putting them on there with just a couple hand tools.
Very easy install!
Hope to do a write up and video on mine this spring.

2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I am very satisfy with the Glow steps I install 6 month ago.No complain perfect steps.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Toolguy5 wrote:
When these steps are folded up and tucked away. Is there room to fold up correctly if they had carpet pads on them. Our fur baby does not like to climb on the rough non skid steps.

I put them on mine just ordered the 4th one since the old had 3 steps.

2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
2Rad4U wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

The MORryde steps would NEVER be on my RV. Simply look how the side stringers project past the lowest tread. Simply an accident waiting to happen!!!

LOL, what accident will happen?

Have you even looked at the design? Last step to the ground, turn right or left there is a side stringer you can trip over.

But I guess that is funny. :R

To be fair I believe the newer ones have the leg extensions on the backside of the stringer like the Lippert

Dan

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2Rad4U wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

The MORryde steps would NEVER be on my RV. Simply look how the side stringers project past the lowest tread. Simply an accident waiting to happen!!!

Have you even looked at the design? Last step to the ground, turn right or left there is a side stringer you can trip over.

But I guess that is funny. :R
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Toolguy5 wrote:
When these steps are folded up and tucked away. Is there room to fold up correctly if they had carpet pads on them. Our fur baby does not like to climb on the rough non skid steps.

Plenty of room, 1" plus I would say.
Dan

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Z-Peller wrote:
Too funny??...those accordian type steps have been in use on truck campers for years, and most folks complain about them being too scary. Truck camper people are going for trailer type flipout steps where possible.
My experience with those steps on truck camper was ok, but when dirt & grime gets into all the pivot points and nylon washers etc, the steps can get very stiff to open/ close. I kept mine inside for travel, and washed them often when in use.

The reason these steps look like the truck camper steps is because they are made by the same company.

Several years ago I was given the same opportunity to install these steps myself or have a local dealer install them. Opted to do it myself. Took a little longer as the factory Montana 5th wheel step was slightly narrower than the GloStep. Had to remove the bolt from the GloStep and thread the bolt back through the Montana factory step frame. In my opinion after several years using the GloStep that they are the best upgrade a pull trailer owner can make.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
darn I just put them on my TT paid $503 the had a 20% off sale at eTrailer. Looking forward to the extra step and stability.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Too funny??...those accordian type steps have been in use on truck campers for years, and most folks complain about them being too scary. Truck camper people are going for trailer type flipout steps where possible.
My experience with those steps on truck camper was ok, but when dirt & grime gets into all the pivot points and nylon washers etc, the steps can get very stiff to open/ close. I kept mine inside for travel, and washed them often when in use.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...