cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

? Instant Pot Questions

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Your opinion which is "best": The Original Instant Pot or one of the other-brand knock offs?

For the two of us, is the 3qt 'plenty big enough' or do we 'really want' the 6qt?
25 REPLIES 25

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have the 6 qt Crock Pot model and it has a couple more features than my daughter's Instant Pot. It is an awesome unit. She says the CrockPot model is better than her Instant Pot.

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
We have the original 6 qt and never use it. It takes up the same amount of space as if we had purchased the knockoff, but more space than a smaller unit. Before you buy one, decide if you really need it.
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Gourmia also, but to make it easier to travel with got the 4 qt. It's a couple of inches shorter than the 6 so it fits the trailers cabinets fine. Has been a great size choice for us too much for two and is plenty for 4 on stews and such where the entire meal is in the one pot.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have one of the "Knockoffs" (Chefman) .

THe ORIGINAL has several features mine lacks. Not a problem as I'm adaptable but if I'm using a "Genuine instat pot" cookbook I have to modify a few things from time to time.. Not a big deal.

Also the Insta Pot comes with some "Accessories" my Chefman did not come with..

I primarally use it as a steamer (Insta pot comes with a steamer basket. Mine did not) to re-heat made ahead meals.. But it also makes some of them.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a Cuisinart electric pressure cooker before I got a Instant Pot.

I dropped the lid and broke it.

My one complaint about the IP is I used to put a bag of frozen meatballs, a pack of mozzarella cut up and two jars of sauce and box of Penne in the Cuisinart and it was fine.

I did it in the IP for the recommended nine minutes and it was burned on the bottom.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Gourmia 6qt on a Best Buy blowout- $39,95, or $100 off list, half of normal street price. So far itโ€™s great, seems well built.
-- Chris Bryant

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
I can't comment on the knockoffs, but we LOVE our InstantPot. We have made everything from mashed potatoes to ribs to yogurt (yes!) to cheesecake to shrimp pasta to you-name-it. Being able to program it and add delay start is awesome. Set it for later and it does its thing - you come back and food is ready.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
For DW and I, the small Instant Pot works just fine. It can make enough for three meals for the two of us. Also, it fits into one of my overhead compartments.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Peggy insisted on the "real thing" and she bought the 6 quart I think. It looks pretty big anyway.

Personally I didn't see the need to pay more for the "original", it's a pressure cooker. How hard is that to make? My mom used one when I was a kid.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes it's nice to have extra room, say for a small roast or full chicken.
You can always put less in a big pot but you can never put more in a small pot.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We opted for the Instant Pot and are happy with the decision. Friends have an off-brand and have been successful with it. One benefit to the Instant Pot is not having to adjust information and recipes for the other brands (cooking times and settings can differ). There's a wealth of info out there for the IP.

We cook for a family of 4 in our 6qt Instant Pot. We often have left overs. I imagine a 3 qt. would be just fine for a couple.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page