cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is 70 the age to stop towing

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
I think maybe if you drive a motorhome at 70 you are safe, but pulling anything behind it is not safe.
So big a world, so little time to see.
373 REPLIES 373

Burnt_Marshmall
Explorer
Explorer
If your vehicle is 70 years old, yes.

The rest depends on you and your health.

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
I hope not. The older I get the more I enjoy running over and into stuff.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
I've resisted this as long as I could,but no more!! So,I guess that life ends at age 70!!! I started towing trailers in my early twenties, and probably made more mistakes then than now ( I'm 64 1/2). Does this mean that I can't tow my utility trailer for hunting? Or my 14 ft. hydraulic dump, for work around the home? It's probably more accurate to consider that "SOME" people should not tow at any age!! Some people aren't safe around a Checkers Board!! :B memtb

The age that you quit towing is up for debate, I have a friend that quit at 78. I'm 76 and still manage to tow apx 600 miles per day. I think that I will start limiting that mileage as my reflects and vision warrant/dictate.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I've resisted this as long as I could,but no more!! So,I guess that life ends at age 70!!! I started towing trailers in my early twenties, and probably made more mistakes then than now ( I'm 64 1/2). Does this mean that I can't tow my utility trailer for hunting? Or my 14 ft. hydraulic dump, for work around the home? It's probably more accurate to consider that "SOME" people should not tow at any age!! Some people aren't safe around a Checkers Board!! :B memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
no

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
WOW 13,797 reads for Supercharge... wonder if it's his personal best.
We are pulling out May 1 I got a car to pull, Ford Focus auto, never pulled one in all the years of RVing, I'm way to old I know, but I'm not even going to tell my wife it is back there, she will never notice. She only thinks about grandkids thing like that. I will tell her it is someone following to close.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I was almost 70 a year and a half ago when I took the driving test required to tow a trailer over 4600 KG in this province, so I don't think I'll quit quite yet.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
WOW 13,797 reads for Supercharge... wonder if it's his personal best.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Your in AZ, drive around a couple RV parks and look at the majority of snowbirds there, 70's likely a median age. Most are OK pulling toads or larger 5W's there are a few ....... some people should just never drive!
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œWhen I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.โ€ - Will Rogers
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I guess at age 70 you should stop towing any thing behind the Motor Home.
Man I'm 13 years to late to find this out. I'm 83 closing in on 84, I still tow the Jeep back there.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO You are not fit to drive a large diesel pusher towing a 4x4 GMC toad if you don't know the first correct step to take after a front tire suddenly fails, while going 68 mph on cruise control.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Hope not, 70 is only 8 years away
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
My uncle's father still tows equipment trailers at 82. He celebrated his 80th birthday with an Iron Butt ride. He's celebrating 83 with another one...a 50cc. (That is: Hilton Head to San Diego in 50 hours, on a motorcycle.)

He plans to celebrate 85 with an Ultimate Coast to Coast ride: Key West, Florida to Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay), Alaska (5500 miles) in 30 days, and is considering making it Ultimate Coast To Coast Insanity...that is, Key West, to Prudhoe, back to Key West in 60 days.
I rode from Iowa to Fla. back to Iowa and me and a frend rode on to Yellowstone, up to Canada Up to Alaska 1550 miles each way on the gravel road down to Seattle down to all the national parks on to L.a. over to Az. NM. TX. Up after o Okla. back to Iowa. 17,500 miles on 1961 Honda 305cc all in 1962 in 73 days, we were 18 years old. Hello