cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is PA "warning" Rvers. (license).

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
OK...I WILL GO THERE. It is early in the year, might as well get it started. I added the color, but the quote is from the PA DOT site.

CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).

I found it interesting the an RV was the example. I am "in the business", as they say, I don't recall this example the last time I looked.
Most of us will stay under the 26,000, making it a mute point. However, I know there are some big rigs out there.
38 REPLIES 38

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Kansas is 26k for rv's as well unless it is a motor coach then you can drive 80K rig with a regular license.

Colliehauler, please explain. An 80K "motor coach" requires at minimum a class B non-commercial for the Kansas licensed driver and likewise in many states also. What do you mean by "regular license"? I suspect you mean that it does not have to be a CDL Class B if it is not used for hire and is not hauling passengers that make it subject to commercial laws. A motor home exceeding 26,001 in Kansas most certainly requires a Class B license Kansas Driving License Statutes.

I recently asked a State Examiner if they had ever heard of a Kansas Trooper pulling any RVer over and ticketing them for improper licensing. Their comment, "No, never. But, sure would hate to see what would happen if that driver of an RV was not properly licensed and if they were involved in a fatality accident".
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
cross21114 wrote:
Maryland requires a Class B or A non-commercial license for RVs. Few people know about it, including me until 3 weeks ago. I have a Class A but no one else in family does. Trying to decide on whether we should go with my desired diesel Super C or a Class A gas. Bet there are a lot of Marylanders driving RVs which require a Class B license but do not have and the dealers do not tell buyers.

Here's a link to the requirements. http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/26300/26300-52T.htm

And the testing requirements. http://www.mva.maryland.gov/_resources/docs/Maryland-Recreational-Pretrip-Guide.pdf

I have read the rules a few times and I agree over 26001 combined you need the upgraded license. But some have claimed that towing a trailer over 10K requires the upgraded license. I have not read anything to support the over 10K trailer claim.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
North Dakota's license requirements say I'm licensed to drive a vehicle up to 26,000 lbs or a combination of vehicles less than 26,0001 lbs, and then says I can also drive an RV or camper with no weight limit if I'm reading the DMV's web site correctly.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
I posted about this last week. A friend who owns a large motorhome hear police were pulling over motohomes on I-78. He called his state rep and found out it was true. So he got an appointment to take the test. What really burns me up is when our government passes a law but doesn't inform anyone of it and then the police site people for breaking a law they know nothing about.

Tell me more about this, I haven't heard about or why MH's are getting pulled over?

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Maryland requires a Class B or A non-commercial license for RVs. Few people know about it, including me until 3 weeks ago. I have a Class A but no one else in family does. Trying to decide on whether we should go with my desired diesel Super C or a Class A gas. Bet there are a lot of Marylanders driving RVs which require a Class B license but do not have and the dealers do not tell buyers.

Here's a link to the requirements. http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/26300/26300-52T.htm

And the testing requirements. http://www.mva.maryland.gov/_resources/docs/Maryland-Recreational-Pretrip-Guide.pdf
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I posted about this last week. A friend who owns a large motorhome hear police were pulling over motohomes on I-78. He called his state rep and found out it was true. So he got an appointment to take the test. What really burns me up is when our government passes a law but doesn't inform anyone of it and then the police site people for breaking a law they know nothing about.

Gary_O
Explorer
Explorer
I just took test for my class a non cdl license on 5-19-17. The test was a skills test only,pre trip truck and 5th wheel inspection was very close to what is in cdl drivers training manual, plus what emergency equipment I carried in truck, had to check for hydraulic brake leaks. The driving test was on same route as test for cdl,a few left and right turns,stop signs,traffic signals, lane changes and a 3 point turn backing up.Was asked what height of underpass we went under was posted.The young lady that tested me was very knowledgeable on this test.She said she is getting more rver's getting tested and the dmv is starting to check rver" for correct license and proper weight class of trucks pulling rv"s

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
I would hazard a safe guess, somewhere else in the statute or compiled law that you extracted that tidbit from, it is explained that the rule applies to commercial or "for hire" operation of that example vehicle combination, for example a transport driver towing a new fifth somewhere.

there's a lot of similar language in Michigan's motor carrier code (commercial trucking), that does not apply to private citizens operating a vehicle for recreation purposes.

The transport companies in Indiana already require their drivers to have I believe, a class B CDL if they pull the bigger tri axle RVs with GCWR of over 26000 pds. I inquired about driving over a year ago and they were requiring it even then.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Found out a couple years ago I needed a "non-commercial class A" license to legally pull our 15250 pound 5er. Much of the same written test questions as the commercial Class A except for air brakes. Road test also. Also need an every other year note from my Doctor certifying my prescription meds.

Have to wonder about a rig I saw several years ago: High end Class A diesel pusher with a Ford F350 dually with huge truck camper as the towed vehicle. Didn't see the license plate so didn't see the state where it was registered.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
cbshoestring wrote:
DrewE wrote:
leggy wrote:
First I agree that CDL changes everything, however, the way my CDL class B reads is that I can not tow anything greater than 10,000 lbs. In fact I have a friend that was ticketed for pulling an equipment trailer more than 10k behind his pickup last year. Yes, it was with a contractor's truck so became a commercial situation. He was going to fight it but I'm not sure how he made out. This is the first time I have heard about it being applied to RVs. I am going to do some research.

CDLs are never required for RVs used for personal noncommercial uses. What a CDL applies to is regulated at the federal level, and RVs are specifically excluded.

Not true.

PA law clearly states the a class A is required for combinations over 26,000 trailer in excess of 10,000. The only class A one can obtain in PA is refered to as a CDL...DO NOT get hung up on the word COMMERCIAL...it is a weight thing, not a WHAT is being hauled thing.

Other states have similar laws---check our own states.

CDLs are also not required for pulling trailers greater than 10,000 pounds if the combined weight of the trailer and the tow vehicle is not more than 26,000 pounds. This leads to the rather odd situation where one can pull, say, a 15,000 pound trailer with a 10,000 pound tow vehicle without a CDL but not an 12,000 pound trailer with a 15,000 pound tow vehicle, even though the latter likely requires less care and skill (and is generally safer overall).

ODD isn't it.

You can legally drive any combination, as long as they don't exceed 26,000. Can you see an 8,000 truck being pushed by a 17,999 trailer.

Want to hear an equally odd fact...that 26,000 truck can have airbrakes, no knowledge on how those brakes work is required. Register that same truck at 26,001 and you will have to take a test proving your knowledge of air brakes.

I asked a Motor Carrier Safety Officer about this, since I see a lot of moving company trucks, with air brakes, being rented to ma & pa. He shook his head, said they have no authority over the "regular" licensed...but once you get that Class B, fed regs kick in.

It gets weirder. Anyone with a license can drive a 25,950lb truck with air brakes-it is under the class B weight cutoff. However, if the driver has a CDL WITHOUT air brakes...he can't drive it.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
No need of a special license to operate MH.
Like any vehicle it requires getting use to is all.
You learn to steer from the middle, and from just before the rear tires too.
We've been driving ours when it moves for only 11 years though.
And of course we have air brakes no special skills set or training needed.
I've had semi drivers question that. I've driven flat bed in Nam and nothing special needed.

What some of us are saying is that a non-commercial heavy vehicle license may be a good idea, even if not required in your jurisdiction.

I was driving Semis long before I had any drivers license. Even though I was proficient at it, I still had to get the CDL before I could legally drive on the road. The point is the the license it a bit of proof to the rest of us that you know what you are doing.

While your A probably has automatic slack adjusters on the brakes, it would still be good for you to know how to properly check brake adjustment.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
No need of a special license to operate MH.
Like any vehicle it requires getting use to is all.
You learn to steer from the middle, and from just before the rear tires too.
We've been driving ours when it moves for only 11 years though.
And of course we have air brakes no special skills set or training needed.
I've had semi drivers question that. I've driven flat bed in Nam and nothing special needed.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Makes me glad I still live in Indiana. So far, no confusion on driving an RV of an type. Standard operator license is all you need. When tow vehicle has a DOT license, then everything changes.

Guess that means all drivers in Indiana are capable to drive an RV of an(y) type.

If ya got a Drivers License, jump in, - "stab it and steer it", right?..:R

I would try *not* to be in front of one of 'em if they should become "confused"!

IMO - I wouldn't be glad about that..:(
Testing drivers abilities, knowledge, & skills is a GOOD thing, and benefits *everyone* on the road..;)

Indiana will probably catch on - and catch up...eventually.

~

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
cbshoestring wrote:
BulldawgFan wrote:
I am not sure I am understanding what the actual issue is here in the first place? Just something to fuss about?

I was actually on the website investigating how they are seperating endorsements/restrictions for CDL holders that take test in automatic trucks/trailers without 5th wheels. PA is catching up to the trucking schools that push CDL holders out the door without proper training for the vehicles they are being licensed to drive. Guys and girls who take test in an automatic truck, then can't drive the 10 speed they are on the road with; or people that test with a pintel and have no idea how to hook up a fith wheel.

Many people get hung up the "C" of CDL. It really is not about COMMERCIAL, it is more a weight issue. I have never seen that example before---as it seems to be pointed a RVers.

I thought I would point out that EXAMPLE, because I thought the RV world would find an example "Pointed AT them" to be interesting. At least those living in Pennsylvania.

Thanks for clarifying.

I have to say, I think someone dragging that kind of weight needs to demonstrate that they know how to handle it.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v