cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is your travel trailer cozy and homey??

bmet2000_sDW
Explorer
Explorer
My parents just recently purchased a 31ft jayco whitehawk TT. We just got to see it for the first time this past weekend and I couldn't believe how cozy and homey they have made it! I told her we had already seen many trailers like theirs at rv shows, so I already knew what it looked like. Well was I ever wrong! I have never seen such a cozy, warm, inviting and homey travel home!!! I was ready to move in!!

She had pictures on the walls, artificial plants on the counters, a hall runner on the floor, a cute foot stool, and lots of lights about all the windows and lamps. It looked like a home on wheels instead of just a camper. She has inspired me to make our camper more homey!!

My husband complains because everything in our camper is brown; the walls, the floor, the cabinets, the counters, and the fabric on the sofa. I threw a few red pillows on the sofa and it really brightened things up already!

My question to all of you is; is your travel trailer a home on wheels or just a camper? Have you made your camper homey and cozy and if so, what have you done to make it a home?

We don't live in our travel trailer, just use it on weekends, long weekends and for a week long vacation once a year, but I would still love to make our camper more homey! I would love to hear about what you all have done to make your camper a home on wheels.
32 REPLIES 32

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a Teddy Bear on the dinnette table to hold our Kleenex box, and I have a Shelby Cobra model securely glued down on a shelf above the coach exit door. :B
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

cheteckie
Explorer
Explorer
I limited myself to a few decorated throw pillows,throws, and a quilt on the bed. Oh, and two dog beds. It's easier, and makes the interior space look bigger.
2013 Allegro Bus
2013 Subaru WRX

Hint: in the photo above, the temp. is a constant 49-55 degrees..... ๐Ÿ™‚

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
delete

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
delete

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
We have a few photos hung. A small corner shelf with a small mantle clock that chimes, and some other stuff that seem to fit when going from 3,000 square feet to just over 300 square feet. I installed new backsplash in the galley and bathroom which added a "homey" feeling also. Friends of ours with the same make/model described theirs best as a "cozy apartment".
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Added some of my Lego collection (RV and fire truck) to the entertainment center, red placemats, entrance rug and blankets. Also added led lighting under the island.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
bmet2000'sDW wrote:
I would love to hear about what you all have done to make your camper a home on wheels.

This is our bedroom slide after we re-decorated to make it more, "homey." What do you think?

We looked at that unit. It was too drafty. :B
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We had a long thin tapestry of bear, elk, moose and loon. Too long for our TC, so I cut in half and placed each part on the walls of our slide. I made a quilt for the bed and we have carpet runners and matching mats on the floor. I also put camping themed Charming Tails (small figurines)on shelves that DH built.

In a TC there's not a lot of real estate per se. I like my counters uncluttered, but it does look homey and bright. I love it at night. It looks comfortable and inviting.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
bmet2000'sDW wrote:
I would love to hear about what you all have done to make your camper a home on wheels.

This is our bedroom slide after we re-decorated to make it more, "homey." What do you think?

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I add framed photos of places I have been RVing. All have some bright green and different shades of pink, burgundy, etc. (one is path through wood with spring green leaves and and azaleas, one is sunset on Mississippi River, and several close ups of spring flowers). I added a burgundy throw and pillows to brown sofa, changed brown bedspread to burgundy (or beige floral with burgundy comforter). Added bright green, pink and burgundy wall hanging and bright green storage ottoman. Even found dishes that had those colors during fall when all the summer picnic stuff was on clearance.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sure is, I added 3 Collies and it feels like home.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
My trick was to use really colorful accents to reduce the brown, brown, brown. I ended up with lime green, bright orange, and SUN Records yellow. Full-time, it'd be too much color for my tastes (my home is in deeper cooler colors), but for weekend trips, the colors just make you smile.

Orange sheets and pillowcases, lime green comforter and shams, orange and lime green faux fur throw pillows, kitchen linens, towels, cooking and serving utensils, etc. On walls, I hung SUN Records' aluminum signs and wall clock. I also added some vinyl wall art (orange and lime green circles of varying sizes) on the cupboard doors. Since my cushion covers are in good shape (solid brown color), I put orange faux fur throw blankets over the dinette seats and a lime green faux fur throw blanket over the couch. Then I added some lime green plush throw rugs over the brown carpet on the floor (will change out the carpet for flooring at some point in the future).

My favorite bit was to add tasseled fringe along the ceiling shelf, overhangs, etc.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We're starting to. We just added a picture and a saying on a wall. The kid's bunk room has been completely changed with the removal of a sofa and addition of some shelves.

Everything that you mentioned sounds like things that need to be secured or stowed for travel. If you move a lot, this could become a hassle. Museum putty can be helpful for keeping things where you put them. But, it's just something to be mindful of.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
If the four of us are in it, that's all the homey we need.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance