cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It just feels wrong

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We went camping last week testing out the new solar, inverter and the toys they will run. We were talking about them when Honey gets excited and starts digging through a storage that hasn't seen light since we got the trailer. Pretty soon I hear "will it run this?" The box held a 120v auto drip coffee maker. Sure I said but we make coffee on the stove the Melita way like we have for 25 years. Well before I was even finished saying that, the thing was out of the box and being set up for a test pot.

So now the thing sits there taking up space and I have to listen to it running each morning. It ain't right I tell ya, we are boondockers for goodness sakes. The next thing I'll hear is the stove top toaster isn't good enough anymore. :S
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator
27 REPLIES 27

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Well I suppose the auto drip does save me some propane but considering we only fill the two 20 pound tanks once a season, it's not a big issue.

My biggest benefit is not needing the generator. With it being remote controlled you would think it would be easier to press the fob and run the big loads. The hassle aside from the noise is the loading, storing, and there is always that nasty smelling gas can. With a SUV and a trailer, there is no where to store it outside while traveling.

So the only thing left is the air conditioner and it only gets hot enough for a few hours a day. I'm considering a Frigidaire 5000 btu unit that is rated for 150sq ft, uses less that 470w on high and 440w on low. Add a third ECO-w and bring the 230w poly back on line for 720w total and we should be able to run it and keep the 8-D in float.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
BURBMAN - Your hiding the generator reminds me of a true story I have..

Wife and I got into Smoky Mtn Natl Park ELKMONT camp around 2PM in the afternoon and got all setup in our OFF-ROAD POPUP. Was dieing for a cup of coffee while resting in the big chair under the awning.

I thought what the heck - fired up my generator which sits under my fold-a-cover bed cover in the tail gate corner of my truck bed. Plugged the trailer into the generator and started my coffee maker up sitting on table outside under the awning. We use the Cuisinart Grind and Brew coffee maker to make our been coffee we love. For some reason I just closed the tailgate on the running generator and it vents good from the front folding lid if I put a small stick under it so it won't fully close.

Its not all that full under the cover when I setup camp

As luck would have it here comes the Ranger greeting new arrival folks. I offered coffee and there both were about five feet away from my truck with the 2KW Honda running in the closed bed swapping stories etc...

I finally asked about the generator run time restrictions which was 8AM-10AM and then again at 4:30PM to 7:30PM (I think it is 8AM to 8PM now).

I told him well I needed coffee real bad after setting up and my generator is running right now. He jumps up and I dropped the tail gate and sure enough there it was purring away... Then I closed the tail gate again and the purring noise went away...

He sits back down and we finished our coffee and he went on his way... I shut it down as he was leaving... I'm sure it was the good ole fresh ground bean coffee that saved me hehe...

True story

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
12thgenusa wrote:
Solar coffee and toast is the best!

x2

The whole idea for me was to save on propane costs.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigorange wrote:
French press...simple and oh so tasty!

x deux

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
Valkyriebush wrote:
Big waste of battery juice. Generator perhaps, waste of fuel, stove top makes good sense when boon docking.

No ! Camp fire makes good sense when boondocking.

This is the first time in a few years we have been allowed to have a campfire due to fire bans. Cooking over a propane fire pit just isn't the same.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Believe me, it has taken a while to get out of the tent style of camping. We fully intended to use the trailer like a hard sided tent when we first got it. After one cold trip in the fall and Honey found the thermostat. Since then it has been a slow progression to glamping out in the middle of no where.

So I'll keep making my coffee my way when I get up at dawn. It's quieter and I like really strong coffee, unlike the tea looking stuff that comes out of the auto drip. However if toys makes Honey enjoy camping more then I'm fine with it if not just a bit embarrassed.

Now short term things like a microwave, hair dryer, vacuum and yes even the dreaded auto drip are no sweat for the system. I really do have to draw the line at frying pans and toaster ovens though. My poor little inverter bank would up and quit.

I do like the idea of a thermal carafe, that warming plate slows the recovery time down and with my luck, Honey will want to nuke a danish too.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
French press...simple and oh so tasty!
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Valkyriebush wrote:
Big waste of battery juice. Generator perhaps, waste of fuel, stove top makes good sense when boon docking.

No ! Camp fire makes good sense when boondocking.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
If you'll let me run an extension cord to your grid I'll plug in and run the heat pump... Save on propane. ๐Ÿ˜‰
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dude the hairdryer is what prompted the generator purchase in the first place....

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Time to get a couple more new batteries and solar panels, the hair dryer is coming next!

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
when i used to tent camp (while motorcycling) i used a JET BOIL / coffee press
french pressed coffee in less than 3 minutes !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWx-J5urWOM
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
We use our basic Mr. Coffee drip coffeemaker both with power and without. If power is not available and we can't or won't run the generator, we just heat a pan of water on the stove and pour it in the top through the coffee basket. When the coffee is done, it goes in an Airpot carafe that keeps it hot all day or all night. No waiting in the morning!

Never thought of that, good idea.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Tassimo makes great coffee.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!