cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

jensen air antenna quality

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting poor reception from my Jensen air antenna in my 2011 B+. A neighbor in my campsite, about 300 feet away with the same antenna, is also hot happy with the Jensen, but they do get about 5 channels more than we are. Any thoughts about the Jensen? Is there a way to increase reception? Is the bat wing better?
12 REPLIES 12

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
derh20 wrote:
I am getting poor reception from my Jensen air antenna in my 2011 B+. A neighbor in my campsite, about 300 feet away with the same antenna, is also hot happy with the Jensen, but

they do get about 5 channels more than we are

. Any thoughts about the Jensen? Is there a way to increase reception? Is the bat wing better?

I found the 'TV' itself makes a big difference on how many channels received.

I have one TV that gets about 20 channels. When I put the other TV in the same spot, parked in the same spot, hooked up to the same antenna.....I get maybe 8 channels.

Each brand TV has different quality antenna receivers. So you can't compare to your neighbors. Actually if you want to prove that your TV doesn't have as good antenna reception ask your neighbor to switch TV's with you.

Also as mention above digital TV needs real tight connections and good coax. I finally broke down and bought a new coax for the new TV and got several more channels.

And lastly check where the antenna connects to the back of the TV. I found the whole circuit board for the antenna connection was loose. I took it into a RV repair and they replaced the coax unit for 65 bucks and voila I got 10 more channels!

TV repair says he sees a lot of this especially in RV's where many of us take our TV's down a lot of times each time we hit the road and taking the coax in and out so many times it loosens the wires inside the antenna board.

You bring up IMO an extremely and not well understood consideration especially with digital signals. The sensitivity, quality and specific design of the TV receiver can have a HUGE effect on the number of channels you get.

Larry

We have 2 different brands of tv's in our rv and they do not receive the same stations...

Gotta tell you I was very happy to find this out purely by accident because there were a couple of times I went postal in the RV trying to get a channel in. t least now I know it was the TV not my lack of expertise in spinning the batwing around.

And size does NOT matter! :B

I bought a real real small Vizio and that is the TV that gets 10 times more channels than the big screen TV it replaced.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
derh20 wrote:
I am getting poor reception from my Jensen air antenna in my 2011 B+. A neighbor in my campsite, about 300 feet away with the same antenna, is also hot happy with the Jensen, but

. Any thoughts about the Jensen? Is there a way to increase reception? Is the bat wing better?

I have one TV that gets about 20 channels. When I put the other TV in the same spot, parked in the same spot, hooked up to the same antenna.....I get maybe 8 channels.

Each brand TV has different quality antenna receivers. So you can't compare to your neighbors. Actually if you want to prove that your TV doesn't have as good antenna reception ask your neighbor to switch TV's with you.

Also as mention above digital TV needs real tight connections and good coax. I finally broke down and bought a new coax for the new TV and got several more channels.

And lastly check where the antenna connects to the back of the TV. I found the whole circuit board for the antenna connection was loose. I took it into a RV repair and they replaced the coax unit for 65 bucks and voila I got 10 more channels!

TV repair says he sees a lot of this especially in RV's where many of us take our TV's down a lot of times each time we hit the road and taking the coax in and out so many times it loosens the wires inside the antenna board.

You bring up IMO an extremely and not well understood consideration especially with digital signals. The sensitivity, quality and specific design of the TV receiver can have a HUGE effect on the number of channels you get.

Larry

We have 2 different brands of tv's in our rv and they do not receive the same stations...

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
derh20 wrote:

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
I think bubble-gum would be a better antennae than the round piece of Jensen poo attached to our truck camper's roof. Finding the roof real-estate for a crank-up antennae is on my short list. Barring that, maybe a rear ladder mount/removable pole.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Have you made sure there is no obstruction such as trees in the way?

Are you sure you are pointing accurately toward the transmitter? You can use one of several websites such as https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html to get the azimuth. There are several others like this, too. Make sure you know both true and magnetic bearings.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
All Television antennas are a compromise.. You decide what you want and someone makes one that delivers.

There are a couple of Flying Saucer designs these are usually (There is an exception) Omni directional antennas,

Advantage: No need to aim,, Disadvantage, Short range and subject to multi-path intererence causing them to not be very effective.

Wide beam antennas like the JACK. (They also make an Omni) rotatable.

Slightly longer range on axis (in the direction they are pointing, or in the case of the jack, opposite the direction the antenna appears to point)

Some multi-path rejection,, Better performance

Disadvantage: need to aim

Tight beam (Winegard Sensar IV)

Advantages: Better range still, better long range performance, Narrower beam width means you are more likely to need to re-aim for different stations.

VERY HIGH GAIN ANTENNAS.. Like Channel master's biggest offering.

Advantage: Much longer range, much better performance

Disadvantage: Not compatible with RV life style as folding these up for transport (And setting them up again on site) is like a 30 minute to an hours' work and you need a mast and rotor to handle them. Recommended for folks who park it for long periods where the Winegard don't cut it. I have seen VHF LOW stations over 100 miles away with one of these (on top of a 100 foot tower).

Improement: Antennas that use 12 volt to the head can benefit by replacing the indoor module (power supply/switch) with a Winegard Sensar Pro multi-function device. If you have a matrix switch (Box of many buttons) as I do put the Sensar Pro between it and the antenna.

Normally I do not recommend ANYTHING in that position, but the Sensar Pro is the exception.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
If its that Omni directional one, it makes a good frisbie. I think there is a lot of discussion on this site about antennas.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
derh20 wrote:

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Fifty years ago the Jenson name meant quality but just as almost every American audio company they could not compete with the imports. Many of these company's name and trademarks were purchased by importers or foreign manufactures.

As mentioned above the "Jenson" now has a reputation of less than quality product but very inexpensive for RV builders.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jensen has a reputation for being low end junk for a reason. Get a real antenna like a Winegard batwing, and some say the Jack is decent too. Batwing owner here.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Jensen "saucer" antenna and it suxs.
I am an antenna "nut", I have studied antennas, designed antenna, taken advanced classes in antenna design (College 400 and 500 series) and published on antennas.

When we got the rig and I started testing I was appalled. At home, with the new RV in the same location as the old RV (which has a Winngard Batwing) I got roughly 1/4 of the number of "stations".
So I disconnected the antenna and connected random chunk of wire to the coax on the roof and got more stations.

I then bought a "disc" antenna from Radio Shack and connected that. The new antenna was at roughly 6 ft high (vrs 13 ft for the one on the RV). I got the same number of "stations" as with the old RV.

I couldn't install the regular batwing as the crank would be higher then I could reach.
But yes, IMO almost any antenna will would better.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Before you go out and spend some $$$ you might spend a little time doing a thorough cleaning of all coax connections. They tend to get a little dirty, corroded, and loose fitting over time. Use some Q-tips and alcohol. You might want to tighten them just finger tight then use a 7/16 open end wrench just a TINY bit to make them tight.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.