cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KISS Keep it simple s..... Rant

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to me that there are some people who are bound and determined to make things as complicated and difficult as they possibly can under the guise of "safety" and "efficiency". They try to push the philosophy that if you're not workin your butt off at it then you're not doing it right OR that workin your butt off by constantly working will save you work in the long run by doing a ton of work you didn't need to do in the first place to prevent work you probably wouldn't have had to do anyway. :R

It's an RV! Recreational Vehicle! Put your stuff in it and keep it there. Don't keep adding more stuff. When you're ready to use it put in your perishables and food, hitch it up and go! Once a year give it the good once over and give it what it needs. Each time you use it walk around it and give it a visual. Check your tire pressure now and then. How hard is that? In fact, the more often you use it the better it is.

Bigger is not always better. More stuff doesn't always mean more fun. Making it more complicated doesn't always equate to making it more efficient or safer. If you set it up right the first time there is no reason to recalculate or readjust every time you use it. You don't need to hit the scales, measure your wheal wells, check your levels and angles once you get them right. They don't magically change.

Watch out for idiots and fools as well as workaholics and worry warts.

Rant is over. Thanks for listening.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC
38 REPLIES 38

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I agree for the most part, but there are different types of camping and camping at different types of places. For instance, when we go on vacation for a week in our RV to the beach, we take a countertop ice maker. During travel, it goes under the table. But when we are dry camping, we have no need for the ice maker and it takes up space and a pain in the butt. Same as we will have beach chairs and a bike trailer in our storage for the summer when we go to the beach, but at other places, like the mountains, it makes no sense and takes up room for things we might want there, like our propane firepit, which we don't want at the beach.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Anmacc2 wrote:

Watch out for idiots and fools as well as.......

......threads with rants & vents by same...:R

BTW - I didn't bother reading (listening), so no "thank you" necessary

Glad others are happy though...rant on for your fans!..:C

~

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Live and let live. To each his own. C'est La Vie. What you do doesn't affect me one iota. Idle time is wasted time? I think not. My hammock will not agree with that one. I get to keep my rig on my property too and Its always there waiting for me to show it some love. Yes, for safety's sake and your family's lives please keep up on the "important" stuff. Its not rocket science, granted, but for those who are still employed and don't have the luxury of doing some "work" on the rig whenever they get the urge, you do what you can when you can. Life is short, quite worrying about what others do.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RVcircus wrote:
I keep up with maintenance on a regular basis mainly to protect my investment and try to insure a care free camping trip. I don't mind doing the little extra work between trips assuming I'll need to deal with less while camping. If I see a problem I fix it between trips instead of letting issues pile up. When we leave for a trip all I need to do is add food, hookup, check the tires, lights, brake and go. Nothing I do is very complicated or difficult and that's the way I like it.

e.
X3!
We prep for the next trip upon returning from the last one. This includes refilling propane
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Fussing with the MH to me is fun.It doesn't matter if it's maintenance work or not. There isn't more than two weeks that go by all year without me doing something whether it's running the generator, checking batteries, cleaning it, etc.

When I do use it hopefully there are less problems ( not this trip LOL). Idle time is wasted time. But I do have a sense of comfort when we do use ours I've done the right things to keep us safe. And that includes checking tire pressures before every trip.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
What was it we used to say in the Army?
(and the Navy, too, come to think of it. Yes, I was in both. Please don't ask)
Oh, yeah...
I'll have to clean it up a mite, of course...
Rule No. 1: Don't sweat the small stuff.
Rule No. 2: It is ALL small stuff!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
I would like to add..

I am a retired auto mechanic...

when I work on your car.. its work
when I work on my daily car.. its work
when I work on my wife's car... its work.. and a better dinner ๐Ÿ™‚
when I work on my weekend car, motorcycle or travel trailer.. its PLAY..

as its at my speed. and if its NOT Finished today.. so what...

Enjoy LIFE... its way to short.

X2 0n life too short

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
And to each their own....although I second the motion about less "stuff".
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
I understand where the OP is coming from. Some people are just obsessed with what-ifs. I get particularly tired of the ones who just love their torque wrench, and can't stop checking and rechecking every fastener they can find. And if they come across one that they can't find the factory torque spec for, the world stops while they search frantically. Oh, and if they find a fastener that isn't up to spec, it is a global crisis that just has to be reported on RV.net.

Again, I agree. But then, they forget that a torque wrench is PME (Precision Measuring Equipment), and don't bother to read the instructions, so they:
Set it at 150 FT/LBS (or whatever) and leave it there. forever.
Treat it like a breaker bar; just yank on it until it clicks.
Just throw it in the toolbox with all the other rusty junk; don't bother with a protective case.
Then they wonder why it isn't accurate.
Obviously, it a cheap junk wrench...
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
An OUNCE of PREVENTION is worth a POUND of CURE....from my mom, 60 years ago, when I was eleven...:B...Dennis

I'm one of those guys you see raking their site and cleaning up after the slob who just left it, you know cigarette butts in the fire pit, diapers in the bushes etc etc. I'm not a clean freak but I like my area clean and presentable as it's going to be my HOME for the next week or two. I'll wash/wax my rig when I'm in the mood too. Maintenance is an ongoing process. All these things are not WORK to me. I retired from WORK six years ago. These things are simply things I enjoy doing. Work to some is play to others. Enjoy your next camping trip....I always do..:).....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
Some people are just obsessed with what-ifs. I get particularly tired of the ones who just love their torque wrench, and can't stop checking and rechecking every fastener they can find.

OCD? ๐Ÿ™‚

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I understand where the OP is coming from. Some people are just obsessed with what-ifs. I get particularly tired of the ones who just love their torque wrench, and can't stop checking and rechecking every fastener they can find. And if they come across one that they can't find the factory torque spec for, the world stops while they search frantically. Oh, and if they find a fastener that isn't up to spec, it is a global crisis that just has to be reported on RV.net.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I would be happy if the OP convinced my DW that we don't need more stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Would you please stop complaining and get back to recreating.

1. You're 30 minutes past due on washing and waxing your rig. ... 18. Winterize the rig.

Shall I go on?

Sounds like fun! I'm "in"!