cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Knee Issues

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
How do those with knee issues keep on rv'ing? Is a small handicap scooter the answer? Plus how are steps being assessed????
32 REPLIES 32

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
When I had a hip replacement they checked (x-rayed) my knees and told Note that Medicare now requires you to be using a cane or walker before they will pay for the operation.

This is not true. My better half had a replacement a month ago and Medicare covered it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
My knee has no cartilage, absolutely none. I had a slight knee pain and felt if I walked more it would go away. WRONG answer. I went to the gym every morning and walked the track for an hour. It finally got so bad I could not walk without excruciating pain. By the time I was able to see the ortho surgeon there was nothing between the bones in my knee. So now I am looking at a replacement knee as they do not put zerk fittings in knees....

When you have no cartilage left your only option is a knee replacement. It's really no big deal anymore. I had one five years ago and I hike and play pickleball. I couldn't do it before the replacement. I also had a shoulder replacement and it's stronger than my good shoulder.

It is so much easier than using a scooter and much better for your health.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a hip replacement they checked (x-rayed) my knees and told me I would probably need a left knee replacement in the future. Four years later the joint was bone on bone and was replaced last September.
I can kneel and crawl and the degrees of rotation are the same in both knees. Many people won't be able to kneel or crawl - I am one of the lucky ones. Doing a lot of kneeling is more comfortable with a Folding-Garden-Kneeler

Before the operation I learned a lot of coping skills. Go up one step at a time starting with the bad leg first. Use the good leg to push up one step then lift the bad leg up to the same step then repeat. Going down steps the good leg goes first - still one step for both feet. Also used to lift myself up from a sitting position with my arms.
The last six months or so before the surgery I used a cane. Note that Medicare now requires you to be using a cane or walker before they will pay for the operation.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
They do make lifts for RV's, but they are expensive

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Knee replacement is the best option.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I have had two knee replacements. In spite of weighing more than I should, I was back to hiking at 10K feet in the Sierras about 10 weeks after each surgery. Crawling or kneeling are no longer good, which makes gardening a different experience than it used to be.

RV steps are not a problem for me. I am careful to use the assist handle.

Possibly the best after-effect of the 2 TKR's: no more knee pain. Yay! After years of it.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
My knee has no cartilage, absolutely none. I had a slight knee pain and felt if I walked more it would go away. WRONG answer. I went to the gym every morning and walked the track for an hour. It finally got so bad I could not walk without excruciating pain. By the time I was able to see the ortho surgeon there was nothing between the bones in my knee. So now I am looking at a replacement knee as they do not put zerk fittings in knees....

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before having a knee replacement find out what type of knee they are going to put in and then get yourself tested for any possible allergic reaction. While rare if you are the lucky guy with a reaction you are seriously screwed.... Been there done that.

My first replacement was Chromium knee and it turns out I am deathly allergic to Cobalt and Nickel both of which are in the Chromium. My body was rejecting that knee before I was off of the operating table. After 17 days in the hospital followed by 6 months of excruciating physical therapy and only getting worse I finally fired my surgeon and got a second opinion. The new surgeon took one look at my swollen, warm to the touch knee and stated un equivocally "That has to come out.... and soon".

The second surgery, only 14 days in the hospital this time, called a revision {doctor speak for we screwed up the first one}, went better but the double layer of scar tissue will always be an issue. I can do stuff now but everything I do hurts, 24/7. For the record I was not/am not overweight.

Getting back to the RV side of the question I use an 8" high single step at the bottom of the two interior entry steps on our Class C and it helped tremendously both for me and our recently departed doggie. Good luck!

:C

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Hah. With my knees, the key is to do the maximum possible without going OVER the max. Going over the max means I am laid up for a long time, and THAT is what is bad.

Maybe when you see someone on a scooter, that is what they are doing -- using their knees to the max in the morning, and then using the scooter after the max has been reached.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first thing I think of when I see someone in a scooter is, if you got up and walked more often perhaps you wouldn't need the scooter. I try to be understanding and I know there are people that have disabilities that really need the scooters. I do believe that once someone starts relying on the scooter, their health and abilities will suffer further. Just so you know I'm not a total ass, I was overweight and have already had one knee replaced, and I don't exercise as much as I should, but getting out there and being as active as possible does, I believe, improve one's overall well-being.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
The worst thing is a scooter. If you stop walking your health deteriorates, you gain weight and blood pressure will most likely increase.
SO a regular workout regime would need to be instituted.
Giving scooters to everyone is not a healthy idea. The short term quality of life may increase but the long term survival will probably decrease
Get a knee replacement or check out the stem cell therapies near you.
Google Stem Cell THERAPY Florida.
If you are over 80 then do as you wish
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from general rving
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I spend most of my time outside, so I put a lot of things at floor level in my van -- that way I can stand outside next to the door, and then just sit on the floor (it's at chair height, compared to the ground). Fridge, microwave, etc. are there. I only need to step up once or twice a day.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lose weight, get a replacement. I'm working on the first, planning the second this summer.

You can recover (of course) if you are overweight. But the better shape you are in, the faster, easier, & better you will recover.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I travel with a pair of Segways. Keeps the ol knees happy.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson