cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Labor Day Horror Stories

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are only 3 weekends that we will not go camping: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day.

So let's hear from all those that were camping this weekend:

1. Outside speakers and loud music;
2. Late night parties;
3. Drunk, rowdy, and "hold my beer and watch this";
4. Kids screaming, running through my site, etc.;
5. Dog was loud, unleashed, or pooped in my site;
6. I left stuff outside and it was stolen;
7. CG was a dump, owner was nasty;
8. Traffic was terrible and nobody respects RV drivers;
9. Neighbor ran an open-frame worksite generator all weekend;
10. My (fill in equipment here) broke and ruined the trip.

Who wants to go first? Special prize if you can check "all of the above" LOL.
54 REPLIES 54

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
rugermark2 wrote:
My camp trip was great. Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State Park in OR is a nice park.

My only problem came at the dump station. A real nasty lady (swearing at everyone) and her family tried to cut in line at the dump station. She tried to cut around 10 of us who had been waiting there for a least 30 min. I had to us my truck and 5th wheel to block her. The ranger made her driver all the way to the back of the line. I got the 1 finger salute when they left. I think I ruined her day. The other campers thanked me for standing my ground with her.

Maybe you should consider posting this in the "I thought this was rude" topic in this forum topic (General Rving Issues).
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

NC_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
As we picked up our new Greyhawk last Tuesday, we were determined to go camping Labor Day. But we chose the small Medoc Mountain State Park in NC which has only 30-odd sites total. And it appeared to be only about half full, so it was not crowded at all.

We had a great time. Everything worked on the new RV and we had no problems. Kudos to Jayco and our local dealer, Plemmons RV World, for that.
2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
recovering from six kidney stones that passed and one that didn't and had to be forcibly removed. ๐Ÿ˜ž

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
No horror story but I did have interesting neighbors. Two younger gentlemen who set up their own disco lights with music to match. Some would see it as camping gone amok but it was good for a few laughs and they kept the music to a reasonable level and shut it off before quiet time. Other than a few jerks you always have in a CG who do not understand safe driving in a CG it was OK.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
Thursday late afternoon I discover water pump on my Duramax leaking.
Friday afternoon my mechanic, that knew I had camping plans and was giving it his all, informed me that a bolt snapped and we were done.
He could not get a replacement bolt until Tuesday! Truck could not be finished without new bolt.
After hearing the bad news,I sat at my Nexus 7 tablet surfing the net, contemplating my revised weekend plans. I came upon a Craigslist advertisement for RV towing.
"5th wheel,bumper pull I tow it all" the ad read.
I could not resist making a call. We agreed on a price.
7 A.M Saturday morning a stranger showed up with a F-350 with a gooseneck adapter hitch.
The rest is history. I camped all weekend and had a great time.
Nothing like a happy ending.

I swear you are the luckiest guy I know! Glad you were able to go camping and hope you got the truck back together! One thing about GM, seems like dealer parts inventory is way down and everything is being stocked in regional warehouses. Next business day delivery doesn't help when it's a holiday weekend....

Brassica
Explorer
Explorer
My coworker was told to get 35 PCs ready by Tuesday morning, so she had to work Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. She helped me with another problem on Tuesday when I got back to work. Even worse is that she is a "contract" employee, not a regular employee, so she does not get vacation accrual, 401k matching, or the annual profit sharing bonus. She works her fingers off for us! Happy Labor Day !?

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a horror story here - guess it's in the nature of the location. We were camped at Fishing Bridge RV Park in Yellowstone. It wasn't even full, and was wonderfully quiet at night. Other than cramped sites and potholes in the road, a good experience. ๐Ÿ™‚ We have usually avoided major holiday weekends when camping, since we prefer less crowded, quieter CGs.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Thursday late afternoon I discover water pump on my Duramax leaking.
Friday afternoon my mechanic, that knew I had camping plans and was giving it his all, informed me that a bolt snapped and we were done.
He could not get a replacement bolt until Tuesday! Truck could not be finished without new bolt.
After hearing the bad news,I sat at my Nexus 7 tablet surfing the net, contemplating my revised weekend plans. I came upon a Craigslist advertisement for RV towing.
"5th wheel,bumper pull I tow it all" the ad read.
I could not resist making a call. We agreed on a price.
7 A.M Saturday morning a stranger showed up with a F-350 with a gooseneck adapter hitch.
The rest is history. I camped all weekend and had a great time.
Nothing like a happy ending.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We camp hosted at a Va state park over Memorial Day weekend and over Labor Day weekend. There were little to NO complaints about any of the above. We were packed full and had lots and lots of teens and kids, but after quiet hours, the laughter and noise died down, families were sitting around campfires actually TALKING and being a family.

So, I guess it is just about where you camp and the amenities that they provide.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I think the saddest camping neighbor I had while staying a month in one CG that encompassed Memorial Day weekend was a family that pulled in and first things first, promptly chained their junk yard dog to the tree with a tow chain!

They started a campfire and how they managed to make it emit only smoke I don't know but they managed to keep it emitting copious amounts of only smoke all night long. AND then they plunked all their kids around this smoke pit with all of them coughing, sneezing and choking.

I wanted to go out and help them get some "fire" going in that campground firepit to help save the kids from dieing but the dog kept charging and snarling at me every time I just opened my MH door! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing wrong with my holiday weekend, besides not camping, was working on putting up a new gate near the highway and watching all the RV's and boats go by on their way out of the state park about 5-6 miles away. I lost count of how many I saw go by yesterday while we were sweating on the new gate and gate posts.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
For us Canucks there is Canada Day (which falls Just before July 4). I planned to do camping suicide and do both Canada Day and July 4th in one trip... however we were in Bar Harbor for Canada Day and PEI for July 4th. Best Canada Day and July 4th long weekends I have had in years, being in the wrong country for each others long weekends ๐Ÿ™‚
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We actually stopped camping on the big holidays when we lived on Long Island, and the traffic was brutal to drive anywhere. Once we put the pool in, that kind of sealed the deal for staying home.

This thread is a little tongue-in-cheek....seems like there have endless threads of folks complaining about the listed issues over the summer. So thought I would get this out there before somebody posted a complaint about something. We've encountered all of the above at various points but not enough to ruing a camping trip.

Glad to hear that good times were had by so many!!

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stopped camping on holiday weekends some years back. While most of the people are decent and just want to have an enjoyable time; but you will always have a few that are basically jerks and they think having a good time is getting drunk, playing loud music and generally being obnoxious.

We had one park that shut down a bunch on a holiday and kicked the whole bunch out of the park.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
There are only 3 weekends that we will not go camping: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day.

So let's hear from all those that were camping this weekend:

1. Outside speakers and loud music;
2. Late night parties;
3. Drunk, rowdy, and "hold my beer and watch this";
4. Kids screaming, running through my site, etc.;

The first 4. Had a nice, quiet, uneventful week camping. Came home Sunday evening and what did we find next door to our house when we got home? All 4 above. Gah, should have stayed one more day.