cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaking toilet.. anyone use a wax ring?

wickedstang03
Explorer
Explorer
So I recently had a vinyl wood planks the 2mm peel and stick installed in my camper and now the toilet is leaking around tje base... after looking at it it looks like they lifted the toilet up and slid the planks under it... looks as tho I need to replace the ring.... anyone ever use a wax ring? Would I need an extra thick one to make up for the flooring?
9 REPLIES 9

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
wickedstang03 wrote:
... anyone ever use a wax ring?

YES
wickedstang03 wrote:
... Would I need an extra thick one to make up for the flooring?

NO, but I did buy the one that had the built in cone to be safe. Never had a problem.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped using wax rings years ago. What you are looking for is a SaniSeal ring.

Clicky

http://sanisealgasket.com/
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
I would not use a wax ring. The rubber ones cost more but work better with the vibration and shock found in RVs. If they could get away with wax the manufacturers would use them and they don't - at least not in any I have seen or heard about.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
You can get rubber rings now at box stores. I'd be more comfortable with something more continually compliant in a trailer with all the bouncing around than wax that will be compliant when placed but jostling might not keep it that way.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with Bob, if it's only 2 mm then the seal should still work. Maybe buy a new one and try it.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's possible that when they reinstalled the toilet they didn't get the rubber gasket seated correctly. I did that when I had to remove mine once. You need to be careful when setting the commode down making sure the rubber gasket isn't pinched on one side.

Since you've only added 2mm in height I can't imagine that the standard rubber gasket wouldn't work and you should be able to reuse the one that's there as long as it didn't get damaged with a cut or tear.

wickedstang03
Explorer
Explorer
How thick is a stock rubber ring? How do I know how thick of a ring to buy?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's an ordinary closet flange so you should be fine with a thicker wax seal.
Don't go too thick though, the wax will distort and invade the interior of the flange causing blockage (I learned this one the hard way..).

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
There is usually a flange where your toilet bolts to.If the floor boards raised the toilet,you may need a thicker wax or neoprene gasket.