cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lights Dim, Blink

98bluewave
Explorer
Explorer
The lights in my travel trailer started dimming at times, some time the lights work okay, then all of a sudden they will dim, then later they make come back on. At times they have even blinked. They haven't gone off completely. A/C, appliances, etc. seem to work okay.

The trailer is about 6 years old and this is the first time this has happened. Any suggestions are appreciated!!
11 REPLIES 11

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Nice thing about a new converter (I assume a three stage) is that it doesn't boil the batteries, so they last significantly longer.

98bluewave
Explorer
Explorer
Within 6 minutes of posting my problem I had a response and it turned out to be exactly as suggested!! I upgraded the converter and I also replaced the battery.

Thanks for all the responses. This forum is amazing!!

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
always start simple, cheap, and the most commonโ€ฆ for DC circuits that would be a bad ground and dirty connectionsโ€ฆ then go from thereโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
thirtydaZe wrote:
which brings up another question, and i hope i don't get this hijacked. when we get out to camp, plug in to the shore power, our lights, etc. keep running on the battery.This part is normal, your lights are 12v (look at the bulbs), the converter converts the 110v to 12v for the lights, the recepticles run off the 110v part. the lights continue to dim out, until finally the system clicks, and then starts running on the shore power. is this normal?
I'd say the lights are dimming because you have a bad converter, mine did the same thing, replaced the converter, no more dimming.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

woodworker59
Explorer
Explorer
Same here. Replaced converter all is well. It was a new 5 ver by the way.

Trail-Mate
Explorer
Explorer
My OR started doing something like this this past fall. the more lights on the worse it got, But I could hear the converter made a hissing noise when it would do it, It was intermittent. Did it some all winter, when I had it in for service I had it checked and dealer replaced it. I did check all connections and grounds and my battery was good. I have not had a problem since the converter was changed.
1997 Ford F250 Extended Cab, 7.3 Diesel, 8 foot bed.
Reese 16K Hitch
(Moved into Shed) Hensley Arrow
Jordan Brake Controller, Hensley TruControl Gold Shelved.
Open Range 5th Wheel, Roamer RF392 BHS

Happy Camping !!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Probably the converter is failing. Replace and upgrade at the same time.

X2, worked for me. 98bluewave, I had the same problem changed out and upgraded, no more problem.

I did all the recommended stuff from cleaning grounds to tightening all the connections. New converter/charger from PD installed and no more flickering/dimming.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
which brings up another question, and i hope i don't get this hijacked. when we get out to camp, plug in to the shore power, our lights, etc. keep running on the battery. the lights continue to dim out, until finally the system clicks, and then starts running on the shore power. is this normal?
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Fouled up ground somewhere.
Vic
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Your battery is probably bad also. Unplug from shore power and see if the lights turn on.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Probably the converter is failing. Replace and upgrade at the same time.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.