cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low voltage problems

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
I have a seasonal site and I have been having low voltage problems. I have a PI hard wired surge protector with the digital display. When nothing is turned on I have 112 volts. I checked with a multimeter at the pedestal and the pedestal next to me and we both have 112 volts. 112 volts would be ok if it would stay consistent. The problem happens when I turn anything on. The minute I turn the electric water heater on the surge protector reads 107 volts. Turn on something else it drops a couple more volts. Try to turn on a third item and an the voltage drops below 104 and the surge protector shuts things down. The last two mornings I turned just the coffee pot on and the voltage dropped below 104. I am not sure what is actually happening, At other campgrounds I have been able to run everything including the AC in triple digit heat without ever having any trouble. I have 30 amp service for my tt and never go over the amperage. The digital meter on the surge protector measures incoming voltage so I assume it is the campground wiring. Could I have developed a problem with my tt that is causing the problem?
8 REPLIES 8

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had that same issue at a campground we were working at for the summer. We were placed in with the seasonals at the end of the line and didn't even have enough voltage to operate our A/C or refrigerator on a hot weekend day. So frustrating as we also could not leave until the seasonals left and we had empty sites to maneuver around trees to get out. We did have to make use of our generator during the really hot times. The problem was old wiring and the number of sites overtaxing their system. It doesn't help that everyone is adding outdoor refrigerators, portable icemakers, elect rotissiere's etc. And if it goes out, everyone's A/C kicks back on at one time. That was a bad summer!

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
It seems the campsite pedestal simply does not supply enough amperage. It shows adequate voltage but can't supply enough amps, This is where the PI surge protector and display work great to keep from damaging your electrical appliances.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
YOu are too far from the transformer. THis is common in many older camnpgrounds that are truly not up to the needs of modern RV's.

I"m on such a place now myself but my HUGHES AUTOFORMER "Boosts" the voltage.. Sadly this also increases current so my 30 amp feed may go POP at like 25 amps out of the autoformer (Air COnditioner Electronics and a 600 Watt "Hot pot" did it this afternoon.. Just one A/C too.. That's way below 30 amnps)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
That low voltage at the pedestal is terrible.
Low voltage will burn out any motors in your trailer. (think AC unit, heater blower etc)
I would press the RV camp owner to get things fixed

High voltage is good but will burn out resistance items like light bulbs quicker

jack L
Jack & Nanci

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
dee74 wrote:
I should add the owner is looking into the problem. I am not sure what they will be willing to repair at this time.

Move.....leave
OR get/use a voltage booster

Below 108V AC 'I' swap my AC power supply to my generator.

Induction motors can be damaged below 108V
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
I should add the owner is looking into the problem. I am not sure what they will be willing to repair at this time.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You need to get the owner to fix the issue or get a voltage booster.

Hughes booster at Tweety's $350

SurgeGuard booster $400 at AdventureRV

Best to keep the water heat on propane until you have this resolved.

Although the biggest issue is the A/C and possibly the microwave. Low voltage will not hurt a heating element such as coffee or the water heater or fridge. Low voltage just runs at low power and low performance. If that is all you are doing you could bypass the PI temporarily.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
There's nothing in your camper that will effect the voltage at the pedestal with nothing plugged in. Particularly given your neighbor has the same issue. It sounds like the problem is with the campground and they should be fixing it.