cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

mice

WRBD88
Explorer
Explorer
I know this isn't new and I have done the peppermint oil and it seemed to work for two years but now it is not working. Does anyone have any updated secrets? Help..Thank you.
Wilma

2003 Monaco Lapalma 34'6"
Workhorse
2006 Saturn SUV Toad
Just us,no kids, no pets
Husband Ret. LTC AF
26 REPLIES 26

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Go out at night and turn the lights on inside your RV and crawl underneath it. You will most likely find several rays of light coming thru.

THAT'S how they are getting in. You need to close all those openings.

The manufactures of these RV's drill away making huge over sized holes for plumbing, electrical wires, etc and they do NOT fill them in.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hired a couple of Mouse Extermination Experts. Let's see if I can show 'em to you:

Alas I can not.. Hold on there is another way.....

There they are. For some reason Mice avoid this RV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
A previous thread on this subject claimed aluminum foil under the tires worked and make sure no other connection, hoses, power cords, etc touch ground. I did it two years and no mice. I have now taken it one step farther. I put aluminum flashing which I wax with auto wax first, under the tires. Three years now no mice. Seems the slick surface does not give them traction to climb up the tires. I also put the vinyl wheel covers on and even before I used the foil/flashing noticed a reduction in mice even though that left part of the tire unprotected. Traps around the tires also help
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

WRBD88
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for you response...
Wilma

2003 Monaco Lapalma 34'6"
Workhorse
2006 Saturn SUV Toad
Just us,no kids, no pets
Husband Ret. LTC AF

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
YnotTurbo wrote:
I have Bounce fabric softners placed throughout my RV. In the drawers, under sinks, in the basement...everywhere..

We tried the softener sheets in the past, seemed to always find mouse droppings on the fabric sheets. We use Fresh Cab with excellent results. Spendy, but much cheaper than mouse infestation.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
Paul Clancy wrote:
Fresh cab

X2

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
fresh cab and peppermint oil could be you got a watered down bottle of oil.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing new on that front from me. Just seal and caulk. Works for homes and RVs.

This Old House wrote:
Myth: The Internet is rife with testimonials extolling the olfactory power of fabric softener sheets to keep mice out of the house.

Reality: "Some smells repel mice for a short period of time, like cigarette smoke and certain colognes," says Ron Harrison of Orkin Pest Control in Atlanta. "But mice are extremely curious. A strange odor isn't going to keep them away when they're looking for food or a place to nest."

Bottom Line: Don't expect your box of Bounce to work any pest-control miracles. But baited traps won't solve a mouse problem, either. "Mice are attracted to spots where light comes through, so if you see a gap where they're entering, stuff it with steel wool or copper mesh so they can't gnaw their way through, then caulk over it so no light can penetrate," Harrison says. Holes larger than an inch should be sealed with drywall or another suitable material instead

I suspect the same is true for peppermint oil though I've never tried it.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Fresh cab

youngone
Explorer
Explorer
predatorpee.com going on 5 seasons now and not one inside camper

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
I have Bounce fabric softners placed throughout my RV. In the drawers, under sinks, in the basement...everywhere..
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Is your rig plugged in ? If so, buy some plug in rodent deterrent's inside your unit. Ours remains plugged in beside our carport and with those, no more problem.