cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Miles or hours how do you plan your day's drive?

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I am a firm believer in hours. With unfavorable traffic conditions a person could spent 8 hours behind the wheel and only travel 200 miles. I personally believe that limiting hours is a safer way to be sure the driver will stay fresh and alert. Professional truckers are restricted to the number of hours they are legally allowed to drive.

Unless I have a good reason I have a specific time in mind when I call it quits for the day which can be anywhere between 4 PM and 7 PM. My goal is to be registered and hooked up at a camp site before it gets dark. Usually I'll start searching for a place to hook up between 3:30 PM and 6:00 PM. Sometimes I'll plan on just pulling into a rest stop at about 6 PM which give me time to walk and feed the dogs make a sandwich or heat up a can of something on the stove and settle in and read a book before going to sleep.

Does anyone else try to calculate their hours rather than miles?
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.
30 REPLIES 30

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
300 is easy, 400 is long, 500 is about max for us. That translates into maybe 6hr, 8hr, 10hr + food stops. We leave early enough to arrive by dinner. Yes if there is traffic expected we leave even earlier.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
While working it was be on the road by 6am and drive till you get there, potty breaks better coinside with fuel stops.
now retired and like to leave by 11 drive 150 miles or 3 hours +/- and stop around 2. I subscribe to the old saying "No where to go, and all day to get there"
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I can do 6-8 hours, then I'm pulling up the Allstays app and checking reviews for a decent CG.

84bob
Explorer
Explorer
Some of both, unless we come across something to see. Then it's all out the window.
2010 Heartland Bighorn 3055RL
2006 Dodge 3500 SRW CUMMINS

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
300 miles is about all I can take.
We pretty much base all the RV tripping on 300 max.

Living where we do there is a lot within 300 miles.
Usually under 200 will get us into the woods, ocean or foothills easy.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I ususally think in terms of miles personally. Not unusual for me to go 700 if the destination is a great distance. :C

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
We have always subscribed to the 2,2,2@10 travel.
200 miles by 2:00 pm for 2 days at $10 a night.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Eycom wrote:
Used to be, it was Katie-bar-the-door to get from point A to point B. Not any more. Today, I'm on the 10-2-5 schedule. Leave by 10, arrive by 2 and cocktails at 5. Stay two days and repeat. The destination will be there when I arrive... always has been.
Only one question why wait till 5?
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Combination normally try to keep it down to around the 300 mile mark. This year with us going up California Highway One the longest mileage day is 156 miles while on Highway One.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

jjwms
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with wildtoad. We fulltimed for 10 years and split the driving by driving an hour and trading off. We generally left the RV site at 9:30AM to miss early morning traffic and got off the road by 3:00PM to miss that traffic. It gave us time to smell the roses and see the sights wherever we stopped.
Fulltime RVer May 1997-June 2007
2013 Winnebago Vista Model 27N

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
I plan on stopping about 2:00-3:00. How far I go in a day depends on what time we leave and sometimes that is not too early, but usually between 8and 9AMaro

X2, except move the times about 1 hour later.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Artemus_Gordon
Explorer
Explorer
I like 500 miles! Works unless road issues hold me up. Set up before dark each night!
2012 Montana 3750 Hickory Edition, 2013 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Platinum options

2012 3750 Montana

Generator Box

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on stopping about 2:00-3:00. How far I go in a day depends on what time we leave and sometimes that is not too early, but usually between 8and 9AMaro
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
Used to be, it was Katie-bar-the-door to get from point A to point B. Not any more. Today, I'm on the 10-2-5 schedule. Leave by 10, arrive by 2 and cocktails at 5. Stay two days and repeat. The destination will be there when I arrive... always has been.
RVn Full-time