cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moss removal

TheKunkels
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a older cabin on a trailer like a rv. It has asphalt shingles and the roof is loaded with moss. I know ya can't power wash it but what is the best way to remove the moss.
Thanks.
God Bless โ€ 
20 REPLIES 20

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Moss B Ware. It is a powder that contains zinc. Sprinkle it only on your ridge shingles once a year and it will cure the problem. It goes on white but will disappear with the first rain. I treat my house roof annually and it remains moss free.

This works great. Use the Moss B Ware and let it work. Do not pressure wash as it will ruin your shingles

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
In Oregon we sprinkled powdered Tide laundry soap on the roof of our house, it kills the moss.

Ditto for BC. Worked for me!
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
TheKunkels wrote:
We are looking at a older cabin on a trailer like a rv. It has asphalt shingles and the roof is loaded with moss. I know ya can't power wash it but what is the best way to remove the moss.
Thanks.
God Bless โ€ 

Who says you can't power wash it???
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Kill it with 2-4-D or Roundup, hose it off.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used bleach and water to get rid of mine. The moss will actually grow under the shingles and lift them up and is difficult to remove. The bleach will kill the moss and after several hrs of soaking the area it can be removed with a strong stream from your garden hose.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Put the soap or moss killer on it and wash it off the roof. You can use a pressure washer but most asphalt shingle has a layer of imbedded mineral on the surface. You want to keep as much of that as possible in place.

They make zinc additive, rolled tin for just this purpose. Some big-box stores carry it. It is nailed down to the roof surface.

FWIW, my neighbor has a cabin that is shaded with trees. He and I replaced the roof. For moss and algae abatement, he stretched a bare copper wire across both sides of the ridgeline. The copper oxide from the wire does the same thing as the coil zinc strip.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is heavy enough I would go to the trouble of removing it manually with perhaps the aid of plastic scrapers. Don't damage the roofing with pressure washing or a hose from the ground that would get up under the shingles.
One off I would from the top of the roof use a house wash that will gt rid of mold etc. I can't think of the name I want, right now.
You'll have to get rid of some of or all of the deep shade along with moisture is letting it grow.
I wouldn't want trees with the cabin in the fall line anyway but it does help keep things cool. So you might consider just some trimming or remvoal of clost trees.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
In Oregon we sprinkled powdered Tide laundry soap on the roof of our house, it kills the moss.

^This. One application of Tide will kill it. Just sprinkle the ridgelines and wherever so it washes down the whole roof.
Disclaimer, if it's turned into a "living" roof you'll still need to remove it. Kill it first with some tide or moss out and then hit it lightly with a pressure washer. Or even a leaf blower may work once its dry n dead.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

oldcat1
Explorer
Explorer
I have had good results with Lilly Miller Moss Out. Works quickly.

Safe travels.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0
2014 Surveyor Sport 220RBS

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Moss B Ware. It is a powder that contains zinc. Sprinkle it only on your ridge shingles once a year and it will cure the problem. It goes on white but will disappear with the first rain. I treat my house roof annually and it remains moss free.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
I'd try a product called Wet & Forget. I've had great results with it on my aluminum siding. It goes on with a garden sprayer. It doesn't work instantly, but once on the moss should come off in time with wind and rain. Avoid it if possible, but be careful when working on a roof. Plan your spraying so you are always standing in a dry section.

Used this product at home on moss and here in Fl on our concrete. Works great but don't expect result instantly it takes a few months for it to eat the moss.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Use any kind of Deck Wash that doesn't have chlorine.

I've been doing that for years on a shady part of the cottage roof and it works like a charm. Once it's dead and brown sweep it off.
I re-apply every couple of years to keep on top of it.
I use a cheap garden pump sprayer.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Zinc flashing at the top row of shingles will keep it gone, a punch broom will get rid of most of it and the zinc will clean it off in time

Moved from Forum Technical Support