cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Movin' on Up

Buzam
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I can now proudly say I'm among the 3/4 ton crew. Upgraded from our 2011 F150 to a 2015 F250 with the 6.2L.

I was never happy with how our F150 towed. Sure, it had plenty of power, but I was constantly trying different things to stop it from porpoising. And I hated always playing the payload game.

So now I can take some firewood in the bed of my truck, a full load of water on the trailer and I have room left to upgrade the trailer in a few year. 🙂 Can't wait to get these break in km's under my belt so I can hook up and tow.

2015 F250 6.2L
2012 Island Trail 275BH
36 REPLIES 36

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my truck, I run 75 in the front and 80 in the rear. Truck handles great at those pressures and the ride is not too bad - even when not towing. I don't air down when not towing because it is too much trouble and time and I don't mind the ride. Tire wear is normal and not premature.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are two schools of thought on that.

1. No. 80PSI is for maximum load. In order to have proper even wear of the tread surface, they should be inflated based on the load you are carrying.

2. Yes. That's what it says on the sidewall / on the door post of the truck.

Tire manufacturers, at least some of them, provide inflation charts to tell you how many PSI you should run based on how much weight is on the tire.

Running them at 80PSI regardless is perfectly safe but be aware that you may wear the middle of the tread out prematurely and your ride will be harsher than necessary if you are not at maximum capacity of the tire.

Underinflating the tire will cause premature wear to the outside edges of the tread, excessive heat buildup, and possible tire failure if they are underinflated too much.

In short it's better to run 80PSI than to guess.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Buzam
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a question for you 3/4 ton and 1 ton people. I used to tow with P rated tired so I always aired them up to max pressure rating from the sidewall. Now that I have LT tires, they are aired to 65psi as suggested by the door jamb sticker, I don't need to air these to the max sidewall pressure of 80psi, do I?
2015 F250 6.2L
2012 Island Trail 275BH

Buzam
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
The F250s are a great TV. Congrats.

We upgraded from an F150 to an F250 a couple of years ago. Have a TT with basically same wt. & length. Until you have personally towed with a 1/2T and 3/4 T, it's difficult to appreciate how much better the 3/4 T is or to explain it to others. For us, the difference was black & white (groan).

I spent 20 years living in Saanich. Looks like the 2nd pic might be in the school parking lot on Sooke Rd? Sure miss the Island... Very fitting that you have an "Island" Trail TT too. 😉 Would dearly love to do a camping trip to the Island but the ferry fares are outrageous.

You're exactly right, that's the high school In Sooke. If you check out BC Ferries website they have discount rates of 2$ a foot instead of 6.35 a foot on certain days/times during the summer. We scheduled our Penticton trip around them to save us almost 300$.
2015 F250 6.2L
2012 Island Trail 275BH

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
This is why the side that tries to tell people they really should get a bigger truck is so adamant about it. Sometimes your definition of "just fine" doesn't match someone else's definition of "just fine" and it ends up costing you $40,000.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The F250s are a great TV. Congrats.

We upgraded from an F150 to an F250 a couple of years ago. Have a TT with basically same wt. & length. Until you have personally towed with a 1/2T and 3/4 T, it's difficult to appreciate how much better the 3/4 T is or to explain it to others. For us, the difference was black & white (groan).

I spent 20 years living in Saanich. Looks like the 2nd pic might be in the school parking lot on Sooke Rd? Sure miss the Island... Very fitting that you have an "Island" Trail TT too. 😉 Would dearly love to do a camping trip to the Island but the ferry fares are outrageous.

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new truck. Very nice looking.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Buzam
Explorer
Explorer
Took the trailer for a test tow today. Truck rides the same with the trailer on the hitch as it does unloaded, made me very happy after dropping all the $ for the upgrade. Can tell the 6.2 has more low down torque than the 5.0 did. Kind of wish it had more rake to it so it sat level while loaded. But, I'm within Ford's spec for WDH hitches of reducing half of the front end rise, and the rear leafs aren't even on the overload leaf.

2015 F250 6.2L
2012 Island Trail 275BH

Buzam
Explorer
Explorer
BubbaChris wrote:
Well done, now it's time to "upgrade" your siggy here on the forum too!

Heh, done. Now reppin' the 3/4 ton. I did't realize how plush my F150 was until I cruised around in this for a couple of days. Took some getting used to, but I totally prefer it now. Gonna feel so much more confident on this logging roads during hunting season this fall. 🙂
2015 F250 6.2L
2012 Island Trail 275BH

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Well done, now it's time to "upgrade" your siggy here on the forum too!
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we moved up to 3/4 ton from 1/2 ton Yukon XL, my wife was very happy. She said I arrived ready to camp instead of worn out from the towing. She also said that it was noticeably less stressful. For those that towed at their limits and then upgraded, you will know what I am talking about.

Congrats on new truck

Buzam
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
Two things you'll need for that first tow. Skin softener so your face won't crack from the big ole grin, and a butt pad so it doesn't hurt when you kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
Nice truck. You're gonna like it. Garonteed!

Haha, love it! I can't wait 🙂
2015 F250 6.2L
2012 Island Trail 275BH

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Two things you'll need for that first tow. Skin softener so your face won't crack from the big ole grin, and a butt pad so it doesn't hurt when you kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
Nice truck. You're gonna like it. Garonteed!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
This, along with MPG, generally is at the crux of transition to the
next higher class TV

Ride quality and MPG, IMHO

It is a TRUCK

Congrat's on the move up in class :B

MFL wrote:
You will like that truck, and the 6.2 engine. It will not ride like a car, but the truck feel is one of the things I like.

Happy towing,
Jerry
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You will like that truck, and the 6.2 engine. It will not ride like a car, but the truck feel is one of the things I like.

Happy towing,
Jerry