cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Dinghy Ideas, but not a Truck/Jeep/SUV

AJMom
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All, and I apologize in advance if this has been covered, but I couldn't find specific ideas for cars.

We plan to probably get DH a new car in the next few months (new to him, as we usually buy newer used vehicles), and we'd like it to be something that can be towed four down behind our older 1995 Four Winds 29' class C. We definitely don't want a truck/SUV/Jeep of any kind, and most of the vehicles I'm finding info on are in this category.

We'd prefer:
* Very good gas mileage, as DH drives a 75 mile round trip commute to work through city traffic, mainly on highways.
* Comfortable for 2 (not tall) adults and two preteen boys for day trips.
* I prefer an automatic, but DH prefers manual and I'd need to learn how to drive it!

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
22 REPLIES 22

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
The Cruze, Focus and Elantra are all bigger than the Nissan Versa. The Chevy Sonic, Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta and Hyundai Accent are more comparable to the Nissan Versa.

I have a 2012 Hyundai Accent SE which works well for what I want; under 2500 lbs., lots of storage for a small car, gets around pretty well even on rough roads, and gets 40 mpg.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went through this same thinking awhile back. It had to be a daily driver with at least 40 mpg's. All the Jeeps and other SUV's were terrible on gas mileage. My wife has a Honda CRV the best we ever got was 29 mpg Hi way and ave about 23 mpg. My current tow is a 2002 Toyota Corolla 5 speed manual that still gets 40 mpgs on the Hi way. It has about 160k miles and I know I will have to replace it someday. I looked at a Nissan Versa, Chevy Cruse, Elantra , Focus, Fiesta, and a few other small cars. What I learned from test driving and looking at specs was that in many cases the larger cars (one step from the smallest) got better gas mileage with more room and still weighed under 3000 lbs. The other thing I learned was that the newer Corolla and Civc were no longer flat tow-able even though they were manual transmissions. I had a few other requirements like a higher ground clearance and a back seat to fold down to store a bike. My top replacement was the Versa followed by the Cruse, Focus, and Elantra. An older Civic and Corolla would also work. I would be interested in folks that have these cars and how they are working out for them.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2007 Chevy HHR and a 2011 Ford Ranger pickup. You might contact the poster that started his thread right here about pricing an HHR....all ready to "toad"!

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
We are very happy with our new Ford Fiesta with manual transmission. Reasonably quiet, comfortable ride, only 2,500 pounds and high 30 mpg.
Best of all $13,500 plus ttl. Just put it in neutral, emergency brake off - hook up and go. Only restriction is 70 mph top towing speed.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy Equinox easy tow good gas mileage and room for your children.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
AJMom wrote:
We did consider the idea of a hybrid for the great mileage, but from what I've read, it can be quite expensive to replace the battery when it eventually dies, so we'll wait for that technology to get a bit better before we go that route.

I thought the same thing. That is, until I found that Ford gives you an 8 year, 100,000 mile factory warranty on all hybrid related parts, including battery, motor, and the eCVT transmission. And, the fact that Ford rates, designs their lithium ion batteries they use in their hybrids to last for 150,000 miles.

..Most people won't hardly keep a car that long, haha.

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

AJMom
Explorer
Explorer
We did consider the idea of a hybrid for the great mileage, but from what I've read, it can be quite expensive to replace the battery when it eventually dies, so we'll wait for that technology to get a bit better before we go that route.

The no trucks/Jeeps/SUV decision is based on gas mileage...I've yet to see any that get near the mileage of a car with good fuel economy, but if one existed we'd definitely consider it.

Thanks again everyone, for all of the great input!

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
dicknellen wrote:
The 2014 guide should be out in Motor Home Mag soon. Check the Feb & March issues. We have a 2013 CRV set up as a toad and its great, the 2014 is also towable and is automatic trans only. Dick

..OP said no SUVs, and that they need good mileage due to a long commute every day. IMO that pretty well rules out many of the most popular toads, including the CRV.

Will
Will and Cheryl

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 2014 guide should be out in Motor Home Mag soon. Check the Feb & March issues. We have a 2013 CRV set up as a toad and its great, the 2014 is also towable and is automatic trans only. Dick

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, you have the 2013 Dinghy guide now, so that should show you most if not all options out there.

As you've already probably found, if it must be automatic transmission, that rules out some options when it comes to 4 down towing. Since you don't want a pickup or SUV and need good mileage, that rules out a bunch of options many people on here like as well (Honda CRV, various Jeeps, etc). You still have some options, though.

Given that you want good fuel mileage, and automatic tranny, I'm going to shamelessly 'plug' for the toad vehicle we have, and highly recommend you look into it or something like it: One of Ford's hybrid vehicles, the Ford Fusion Hybrid or Cmax hybrid.

The mileage is just about unbeatable, and its one of the most simple and easy automatics to tow 4 down. No need to disconnect battery or fuses, no crazy procedure requiring you to start and run the engine every few hours like many automatic tranny vehicles do...None of that. Just hitch it up, throw it in neutral and go. Can tow up to 70 mph no problems. And, its really cool to have when camping, since it can run completely silent in electric vehicle mode at slow speeds.

The kind of everyday use you describe, long commute through city traffic, is also a very good reason to consider a hybrid - City commuting is where a hybrid really 'shines' and does really, really good on fuel mileage. You'd probably average around 48-50 mpg in everyday commuting with it like I do, if not better. You should definitely look into one.
Will and Cheryl

FC
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2008 Pontiac G-6 ( no longer made) and its a great vehicle to drive around in as well. Automatic transmission. Tow 4 down.
JM2CW
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
We like manual transmissions so that opens a few more possibilities.

If you need AWD, then the CRV (can be automatic) or a Subaru like the Impreza line (must be manual)

Otherwise, if you'll go manual, something in the Toyota line. If you were considering a dedicated toad, then comfort and reliability aren't so important. But if it's going to be DD and Toad, then get something that's comfortable, driveable, and reliable. Like Toyota. As Janss suggested, look in the actual Owner's Manual. It's very common for even manual shift vehicles to require idling the engine every several hundred miles. That really is not prohibitive. You'll be taking a break on a long trip, or reach your daily destination.
Just for me, I don't want a toad that requires "help" like a Lube Pump for automatic or perhaps a Driveshaft Disconnect. The reviews are simply too mixed. There's an adequate field to choose from without resorting to aftermarket fixes.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Before 2013, Chevy Malibu (automatic transmission) was on the list.

Regardless of what anybody said or what was on the dinghy list, when I was searching for a toad, I liked to check the owner's manual of the actual car to make sure it was towable 4-down.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

AJMom
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Here's a 2013 list of cars that are towable 4-down...plenty of choices.

2013 Dinghy Guide

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for!