cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need EXPERIENCED Help on Florida

Newbienac
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all! I'm STILL on my first 5000 mile-plus trip to parts west but hope to be home in ten days or thereabouts. What an eye opener! I need to get ready for my next one though as I e done a few bad thangs. Is there anyone in Florida on here, or lower Georgia even who might can help me by working on the side or making recommendations for me of who can?? There is NO onE that I know of in Tallahassee. Camping World, sight unseen (cuz they won't let me walk on there and speak with their techs no matter WHAT the question is), said they want $1000.00 starters to resell my RV. Needlesstosay, THAT ain't happening not with them anyways...

Mostly to look at my seal job and tell me what it needs. Someone when I bought it "poured" plastic (?) over the top and front of the cab and it's starting to peel. Plus a Torcon 4 Storm in Iowa with driving winds forced water in one of my windows; hence, a leak I suppose.

The second week of my trip I was driving my little Toyota like it was a four-wheel and couldn't maneauver enough without hitting a baby tree which sprung open a seam in the back bumper area.

Ohhhyeah, crimped the back bumper sufficiently enough to cause a kinked-tear through it in one area AND -- if that's not enough --- somehow (don't ask me cuz I don't know),
There is a real bend in my Toyota front fender, passenger side.

Now I can tear OUT the carpet and install tile flooring, and do SOME things, but not those above.

If you, or someone you know comes with references boy I sure am willing to work with you to get 'er done . Thanks, as always, for the help you provide here.

Beth
1990 Toyota Dolphin, V6 EFI 22R (I think)

Moved to General RVing Issues forum from DIY.

26 REPLIES 26

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
rseymour21 wrote:
I guess the OP got his questions answered! Actually I did read one response that seemed like an answer to me! I thought they might return to clarify.

After we "hi-jacked" the tread, I imagine the OP is still running for cover.:S

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
What a hoot!!! :B
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

rseymour21
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the OP got his questions answered! Actually I did read one response that seemed like an answer to me! I thought they might return to clarify.
2003 F250 7.3L
2008 Cougar 292RK

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:
Maybe someone could just answer the OP's question? There are only a few posts here that offer any suggestions.

Someone asks what time it is and everyone else tells them how to build a clock. Or else, why you really should not care what time it is.

Some people are simply amazing.

I did the very first post by NOT hiring someone unlicensed. I have been flamed for it every since.

I am done defending my position. It really is off topic. What I did in my business was morally and legally correct and I might add, very rewarding financially. I treated my staff well and have no regrets. I feel no further need to explain or justify myslef.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe someone could just answer the OP's question? There are only a few posts here that offer any suggestions.

Someone asks what time it is and everyone else tells them how to build a clock. Or else, why you really should not care what time it is.

Some people are simply amazing.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
So you are saying, if you are in the middle of the desert, no cell service, broke down and a RV Tech that works for CW is traveling by. Stops to help you out. You would require a copy of his Occupational Lic. and Ins. policy. Then after he got you going you would then call CW and report him for working in his occupation outside the shop so maybe they would fire him. PATHETIC. :S

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where does one need to be "licensed and insured" to work on an RV?
The only license I am aware of in these parts is if you are performing state safety inspections.
If I get someone to work in my driveway,I pretty much understand that I am on my own if the work is not done properly.
From the sounds of things DF was the kind of autocratic employer that I spent a life time avoiding.
Why is it that most small businessmen expect their employees to work like a partner, but when benefits and payday comes around you are nothing but am employee.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
So DF, how do you characterize someone that learns his trade with a certain business, quits, and goes out on his own in the same line of work, maybe in competition with his former employer? Is that man a thief and brigand as the moon-lighter or even worse?

Good question.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
peaches&cream wrote:
FK, you have been on here long enough to know, don't argue with Joe Guess Who (aka, DF). He is a retired Pest in the Control business. You will never get the last word in. I tried previously but just could not outlast him.

Thanks for the tip- "Pest control", huh? Well, one can certainly see the necessity of binding empolyees in THAT field to "I won't do it on my off time" contracts.

Bet that employee that The Dog took to court and stripped of everything he owned regrets to this day that he stepped on that cockroach someone pointed out to him in a restaurant! ๐Ÿ˜‰
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

westend
Explorer
Explorer
So DF, how do you characterize someone that learns his trade with a certain business, quits, and goes out on his own in the same line of work, maybe in competition with his former employer? Is that man a thief and brigand as the moon-lighter or even worse?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dog Folks wrote:
If they are doing something completely DIFFERENT from their main job, I can understand and agree. I have no problem with a guy trying to get ahead. For example if the guy makes his living as a mechanic and offers to work on my roof.

If the man works in a body shop and then moonlights at night as a body man, then he is stealing from his day employer by taking possible jobs, whether you had anything to do with the main employer or not. It is almost as bad as that man taking cash from his bosses pocket.

I disagree with that. If he's not pulling from the customer base of the employer, or standing outside in the parking lot redirecting potential customers, then he's not stealing "possible jobs", he's getting jobs that the employer never had.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Sorry, I was not clear. If someone offered to do work,for me,"on the side" and cheaper than his or her company charged. I have had those
offers more than once. They usually start out with:"You know I can save you some money....."

To me that is disrespectful, and disloyal, to the employer that invested in that employee, not to say probably not legal. I want no part of that.

There is a big difference between someone trying to cut into their company's customer base and "stealing" them away, then someone doing work on the side as a completely separate thing.

I agree, if I walk into a shop to get work done and an employee says "hey, don't get the work done here. I can do it on the side a lot cheaper for you", then that employee is completely in the wrong.

However, if I see an ad on a bulletin board that says "RV body work" and a name and phone number, then it isn't taking away work from the employer - I was not stolen from the company because I never had anything to do with them.

If they are doing something completely DIFFERENT from their main job, I can understand and agree. I have no problem with a guy trying to get ahead. For example if the guy makes his living as a mechanic and offers to work on my roof.

If the man works in a body shop and then moonlights at night as a body man, then he is stealing from his day employer by taking possible jobs, whether you had anything to do with the main employer or not. It is almost as bad as that man taking cash from his bosses pocket.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dog Folks wrote:
Sorry, I was not clear. If someone offered to do work,for me,"on the side" and cheaper than his or her company charged. I have had those
offers more than once. They usually start out with:"You know I can save you some money....."

To me that is disrespectful, and disloyal, to the employer that invested in that employee, not to say probably not legal. I want no part of that.

There is a big difference between someone trying to cut into their company's customer base and "stealing" them away, then someone doing work on the side as a completely separate thing.

I agree, if I walk into a shop to get work done and an employee says "hey, don't get the work done here. I can do it on the side a lot cheaper for you", then that employee is completely in the wrong.

However, if I see an ad on a bulletin board that says "RV body work" and a name and phone number, then it isn't taking away work from the employer - I was not stolen from the company because I never had anything to do with them.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
After reading this thread, sure glad we are DIY people...geez!!
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel