cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need some advice/help PRETTY QUICK Please

ediemarie
Explorer
Explorer
heading to the lake this weekend. just found out that they are calling for boiling water before drinking etc.

no problem about bring some drinking water but wondering about putting this, for lack of a better word, bad water in our tanks.

any advice?

thank you in advance.
23 REPLIES 23

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
kalynzoo wrote:
Since you will probably be using park water for flushing you can expect contamination of the water lines to the sinks, unless you stay off the water supply entirely. I would suggest that you chlorinate your fresh water tank after the trip, following the guidelines for sanitizing your tank. It is also possible that the warning if non-biological, such as lead or chemical contamination of the water supply. Again, a complete flushing of the RV water supply when the trip is over seems like a reasonable precaution.

No, just never connect to a bad water system for any reason. Never could understand not filling the water tank.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Since you will probably be using park water for flushing you can expect contamination of the water lines to the sinks, unless you stay off the water supply entirely. I would suggest that you chlorinate your fresh water tank after the trip, following the guidelines for sanitizing your tank. It is also possible that the warning if non-biological, such as lead or chemical contamination of the water supply. Again, a complete flushing of the RV water supply when the trip is over seems like a reasonable precaution.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
If you keep your rig at home, another advantage of keeping your fw tank full is if there's a natural ddisater you have drinking water (Seattle is in an Earthquake zone so we think like that)
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

ediemarie
Explorer
Explorer
thanks so much! never crossed my mind to fill the tank at home!

thanks again - safe travels!

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I would not connect to the water at the park. I would carry bottled water for drinking like you planned.

Like others have posted fill your freshwater tank at home.

I would get several 3 or 5 gallon jugs and fill them at home or other known source to use to replenish your water if needed.

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
You could fill you tank at home with "good" water.

This would be the best idea

Every now and then i goto Possum Kingdom state park and they dont have potable water, so i just fill my fresh water tank at home before i go.

Easy peasy
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ediemarie wrote:
heading to the lake this weekend. just found out that they are calling for boiling water before drinking etc.

no problem about bring some drinking water but wondering about putting this, for lack of a better word, bad water in our tanks.

any advice?

thank you in advance.

yeah...don't! just fill your fresh water tank at home...assuming it's on a different water system than the lake. we never leave home with a full fresh water tank for that very reason.

one time as we were checking into a park in New Mexico we learned that the state dept. of health had declared the park's fresh water system as "unfit for human consumption" due to e-coli. we had enough water...barely...for overnight but ever since that we've always carried a full tank of fresh water.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
ediemarie wrote:

any advice?

thank you in advance.

Which lake you going to, T-Bird?
Since they've had lots of rain down south, maybe they're talking about boiling if using the hydrants.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
You could fill you tank at home with "good" water.