cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New F150, soliciting input before buying a TT

jeshoffstall
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I have been without an RV for a couple of years are are ready to get back in the game.

Current tow vehicle is a 2017 F150, supercrew, 5.0 liter, 3.55 rear, 4x4. It has to tow package that comes with equipment group 302A as well as integrated brake controller and electronic sway controller. The 2017 Ford towing guides shows my truck to have 9,000 pound maximum trailer weight for conventional towing. My payload sticker shows 1,875 lbs. Hitch is rated for 500lbs without WDH or 1,100 lbs with.

Looking at two trailers that I am sure are within this trucks capabilities, just wondering if I am going to be more comfortable pulling the lighter/shorter camper or I would even notice the difference. Going to use an Equalizer WDH.

First trailer is a Flagstaff Microlite 21FBRS:
UVH 4296
Hitch Weight 415
GVWR 5799
Length 21' 7"

Second is a Grand Design 2150 RB:
UVW 5195 lbs
Hitch Weight* 427 lbs
GVWR 6695 lbs
Length** 26' 9"
Height 10' 11"

We would gladly settle from the Microlite, but the Grand design obviously has more space - just concerned about 27 ft of camper behind an aluminum half ton truck.

I also find it odd that the Grand Design, being a thousand pounds heavier has a similar hitch weight. I assume both do not include propane bottles or battery.

Thanks,
Jack
2017 F150 SCREW, 5.0, 4x4, 3.55 axle
2012 Flagstaff V-Lite 21WRS (Sold) back in the market
Equal-i-zer WDH 1K
Mary Beth (DW)
Kirby & Khloe (camping pugs)
19 REPLIES 19

bluepost
Explorer
Explorer
Either will be an easy tow for your truck. Also what transmission do you have? If it is the new 10 speed that thing will tow even better.

Just because propane and batteries add to the tongue weight doesn't mean it will stay that heavy. It's easy and smart to properly load other items in the rear to keep your total tongue weight at 12-13%.

jeshoffstall
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
jeshoffstall wrote:
Thanks all, I know the 5.0 makes its power higher in the RPMs, I just could not get to driving the EB - drove both several times.

Looks like the nods are going to GD - going to look at it this weekend!

FWIW, we will only be doing long weekend in the SE for the next few years, both still have full-time jobs. Longest tow is to Townsend, TN - 4hrs.

Thanks for all the insights, I will nail actual payload capacity before I buy.

Thanks!

So what was wrong with the EB? Turbo lag?

Nothing wrong with it per-say, I just didn't like the throttle response. I have been driving V8s for about 12 years and the 5.0 just seemed to fit my driving style better. I am very impressed with mileage, yet to get under 17.5 mixed driving over 6K miles, get 21 back and forth to the airport (90 minute ride).
Equal-i-zer WDH 1K
Mary Beth (DW)

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
jeshoffstall wrote:
Thanks all, I know the 5.0 makes its power higher in the RPMs, I just could not get to driving the EB - drove both several times.

FWIW, we will only be doing long weekend in the SE for the next few years, both still have full-time jobs. Longest tow is to Townsend, TN - 4hrs.

Thanks!

So what was wrong with the EB? Turbo lag?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
jeshoffstall wrote:

The Ecoboost seems like a really nice power plant.

Yes, the small block V8 has to rev to make power. Let it do it's thing and just go. I had an '04 Chevy with the 6.0L V8. It screamed like a banshee in the hills of Virginia on our way to Bristol. But, it always got us there.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I would not hesitate to tow either of those RVs with your truck. Happy camping!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your 150 will tow either of those TT with no problem. Just get the hitch right, and you are good to go.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeroo wrote:
If you put two #30 lb propane tanks and 2 batteries on the trailer, your adding about 250 lbs on the tongue, so as long as you load reasonably keeping a little extra up front you should be golden, Have fun.

Seriously? Two 12V batts = 90 lbs.
It comes with Two 20lb'ers.
He'll have to try hard to add 150 lbs to the tongue.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
If you put two #30 lb propane tanks and 2 batteries on the trailer, your adding about 250 lbs on the tongue, so as long as you load reasonably keeping a little extra up front you should be golden, Have fun.

jeshoffstall
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks!
Equal-i-zer WDH 1K
Mary Beth (DW)

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
I have similar tow vehicle as you (OP) only a 2014.
Same running gear and 4x4.

The suspension is fine and tows a 5500 (CAT) weight fine.

The only downside is the 5.0 works hard pulling a long grade.
3rd gear at 3000 rpm and 50 mph and needs 2nd gear at 4000 rpm and 35 mph if long and steep.

The diesels will blow by you but you will get to the top and eventually down hill.
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie crew CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja package

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry about pulling either trailer with that truck.
And between the two, it would be the GD 2150 hands down. There are some pretty active GD and GD Imagine groups on Facebook.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
jeshoffstall wrote:

Current tow vehicle is a 2017 F150....integrated brake controller and electronic sway controller....9,000 pound maximum trailer weight....payload 1,875 lbs. Hitch 1,100 lbs with WDH.

Looking at two trailers
Flagstaff Microlite 21FBRS:
GVWR 5799

Grand Design 2150 RB:
GVWR 6695 lbs

Thanks,
Jack

Jack,
As another said, unloaded tongue weight is pretty meaningless because it never exists after the trailer leaves the factory. Most TT's put about 15% of the GVWR on the tongue of the trailer.

At max load the Microlite will have about 870 lbs on the tongue, and the Grand Design 1000 lbs. Bot are well within the limits on your receiver and the GVWR of both trailers is well within the GCWR of the truck.

The simple answer is you can definitely tow either trailer just fine with your truck. Get a good WD hitch, set it up properly, and go camping.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

jeshoffstall
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
The Flagstaff would be an easy tow for the most part, but the GD unit would work as long as you didn't carry too much in the truck. GD tongue weight is dangerously low particularly if loaded anywhere near GVWR. Best towing results are attained when tongue weight is 12-15 percent of TT weight. If fully loaded to GVWR the GD unit will eat up a major portion of available payload, if you don't tend to over pack you may be able stay within limits. Good luck and enjoy whatever new rig you get.

It would be myself, wife, two pugs, two bikes and a 65 qt cooler, will weigh the truck this weekend, live 15 min from a CAT scale.

Thanks!
Equal-i-zer WDH 1K
Mary Beth (DW)

jeshoffstall
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Will you be moving often? Will your favorite CGs and/or those you expect use be ok with a 27 foot box and about 31 feet overall? Any chance you could pull the bigger one around for a bit to make some right and left turns at intersections? On the otherside of this discussion, my TT has 22 feet of box and if we didn't move often I'd want a longer unit. We stay in lots of smaller BLM, USFS and California parks.

Sorry, these are bumper to ball lengths. Previous owned a rear slide camper that pulled at 25 feet and extended to 30. Will be returning to many of those campgrounds.

So, 18 vs 22 ft box

Thanks!
Equal-i-zer WDH 1K
Mary Beth (DW)