cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New trailer next week, which Andersen WDH?

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am picking up my new 28' travel trailer next week (ORV 23DBS, wet weight 8100 lb). I am towing with a new 2017 RAM 3500 Megacab with air suspension.

The Andersen website says I should measure this that and the other on my trailer before knowing which WDH to order, however I obviously can't do that without the trailer. I really want to have the WDH when I go pick up the trailer to make my first ride home less stressful. It's only about 20 miles but there may be a little traffic.

Based the specs I read him over the phone, the Andersen rep suggested model 3350. And that looks to be their most common model. Can anyone confirm/refute this?

How long does it take to install this? I'm going to be figuring this out in the dealer lot so I hope it's not a nightmare.
13 REPLIES 13

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds reasonable to me.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Alright, I'm sold. I'm getting the model with the 2.5 inch shank, the 4 inch drop, and the 2 5/16 ball. This is for a non-lifted truck and a standard TT. I'll attach the ball and hitch at the lot, but install the actually WDH part at home. I should be able to get the trailer 20 miles home on the freeway just by keeping it slow. We don't have much wind around here. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
ScottG wrote:
We're talking about two different things. The OP brought up WDH which is seperate from sway control.

Believe the Andersen WDHs have sway control built in.

You are correct. It is both. The sway control is wonderful. Also with the Andersen you get none of that jerk, jerk, jerk when on concrete roads when you go over the separations in the road.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
Prodigy brake control

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
We're talking about two different things. The OP brought up WDH which is seperate from sway control.

Believe the Andersen WDHs have sway control built in.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing your going to have to measure is for the distance of the ball height to the trucks hitch receiver. The standard is a 6" rise or drop bar, and if more is needed a 8" bar can be ordered. If you'll go over the instructions you'll figure it out. I have an Andersen WDH myself, works great. Had a couple who can to the park I camp hosted at this summer with a lot bigger trailer then yours.

GT928
Explorer
Explorer
I recently replaced my Husky WDH from previous owner with an Andersen hitch and I am extremely satisfied with the change. It is clean and light to handle. It is also quick to hook up. And it is silent, no popping, squealing, etc. like from the old hitch. I ordered the 3347 for 4 5/8" frame with 8" drop for my setup, a Grand Cherokee and an Earthbound 29' with an approximate tongue weight of 500-600 lbs depending upon loading. That is another advantage of the Andersen, you can fine tune the chain tension based upon your load distribution and hitch weight. It can also be used as you upgrade TT or TW because of it's wide range of supported weights. There is no way I would go back.
2011 Earthbound Golden Ridge
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
North Georgia

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new-to-me ORV TT this summer. It's similar to yours in weight & length and comes with a WD hitch without anti-sway. The previous owner tows with a Ram 3500 and claims he doesn't need anti-sway bar.
I tow with a Chevy 1500HD and have spent close to this entire summer looking for a WD Hitch with anti-sway features. I had 20 yrs experiences on a Reese Dual Cam and quite happy with it. However, the new DC requires drilling on the TT frame for installation and that's something I try to avoid. I had a close look at the Andersen hitches. Its light-weight and non-greasy features drawn me to it. The pros and cons are just like the other post said. The model number 3350 the Andersen rep quoted you would be the one for my TT as well rating wise. In the end, with consideration on my 970# tongue weight, I got cold feet and settled on a Equal-i-zer 12,000# WD Hitch. What sold me was the complete bolt-on installation and it doesn't rely on the clamps to counter-act the weight transfer. I haven't had a chance to test it out since I had it installed last weekend so there's not much I can report on its performance. I will take a short camping trip tomorrow and see how it goes.
Like other post suggested, if the receiver on your truck can handle your TT's tongue wt, you can hook it up and tow it home. In my case, my receiver is only good for 500# TW without WD Hitch. But I know some newer 3/4T P-U do have higher rated receiver.
Now that I have installed my hitch, I realize I could be a good candidate for an Anderson hitch, and so could you too. During my set-up of the WD Hitch, I noticed the front axle only lifted 1/4" without the spring bars mounted. I think this is due to my 3000# rated rear axle and long wheel base of the crew cab. So in your case, with a 3500 P-U, the weight transfer factor is not that critical. An Andersen could work well for you.
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
With a RAM 3500 and only going 20 miles I would hook it up without the WDH. Way back in the early 60s we never had WDH , just set it on the ball and go. I towed like that for years before I bought my first E Z Lift Hitch and that was 1/2 ton P/Ups, After arriving home then you can take your time and set the Anderson up right
samsontdog:o:W

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
This will revive an old argument but I would like to hear from anybody that has actually had trouble in this weight range with the Andersen. All I ever read is from people who have guessed that would be a problem. I have a trailer that is rated almost 10,000# fully loaded and have absolutely no problems transferring weight.The system you are looking at is rated to 14,000#. I love this hitch. It is so much easier to hook and unhook and works flawlessly.

It may be hard to set it up at a dealer unless you have time to really make sure it done correctly as all the setup is on the trailer. Nothing to do on the truck but install the ball. Most techs no nothing about it. But it is easy if you stand by and read the instructions and see that the tech follows them.

I have no hesitancy in recommending the Andersen. You'll love it.
Prodigy brake control

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, if the hitch weight will be more than about 750 lbs (and yours probably will be), the Andersen is reported to have difficulty distributing enough weight to level the rig. It will still provide sway control and some WD.

Honestly, I would suggest that you make sure your hitch weight is at least 10% of the total TT weight, then drive home without the WD, keeping your speed low (say, up to 50 mph). Setting up a WD hitch is not something I'd want to do in a dealer's yard when I'm tired out from the walk-through and paperwork and everything, and eager to get home with my prize. Wait till a day or so later when you are rested and have a couple hours without stress or reason to rush, and you'll do a better installation.

For that size TT I'd lean toward an Equal-i-zer, just my personal preference. If you do get the Andersen, plan to drill indents for the set screws because otherwise the brackets will probably slip (been there, done that).
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't used one but have read about a lot of people having problems with them on larger heavy trailers. The problem seems to be difficulty transferring the heavy tongue weight. They seem to be good for trailers up to 6k but aren't as effective beyond that. Might not be a problem with your truck but you may want to research it more.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I'm going to be figuring this out in the dealer lot so I hope it's not a nightmare."

The dealer should install your hitch without additional charge. Ask them.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad