cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Truck = Bigger Receiver = Unexpected Problem

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
this past weekend I traded my '15 Ram 1500 for a '13 Ram 2500. I have now discovered that this 2500 has a much larger receiver than my 1500 did. (it's also larger than my brother's '12 Ram 2500) - I think I have found that this truck's hitch is a Class V... All great,

EXCEPT...

My WDH for my travel trailer is now too small for my truck:

I know that I can get an "adapter" that is basically a square tube that fits over the hitch and into the receiver to make up the difference.
Is this a safe way to go, or do I need to replace my WDH?

If it really is worth the money difference (to replace WDH ~$?? instead of using the adapter ~$30) - can't I just replace the part of the WDH that goes into the receiver and not have to replace the entire thing? It's going to have to be reconfigured/adjusted/setup anyway for the new truck anyway.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK
50 REPLIES 50

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
rctoyguy wrote:
this past weekend I traded my '15 Ram 1500 for a '13 Ram 2500. I have now discovered that this 2500 has a much larger receiver than my 1500 did. (it's also larger than my brother's '12 Ram 2500) - I think I have found that this truck's hitch is a Class V... All great,

EXCEPT...

My WDH for my travel trailer is now too small for my truck:

I know that I can get an "adapter" that is basically a square tube that fits over the hitch and into the receiver to make up the difference.
Is this a safe way to go, or do I need to replace my WDH?

If it really is worth the money difference (to replace WDH ~$?? instead of using the adapter ~$30) - can't I just replace the part of the WDH that goes into the receiver and not have to replace the entire thing? It's going to have to be reconfigured/adjusted/setup anyway for the new truck anyway.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

If you have the crew cab look under the rear seat in the storage compartment, your adapter may be in there.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
I use a sleeve since I upgraded my hitch on my Suburban. It has actually worked out well I didn't upgrade my shank to a 2.5" as last year on a trip we needed a tow and the tow truck had to use shank and ball to haul the trailer while the Suburban was on the flatbed. Perhaps he was just poorly prepared (it was a new tow truck) and he would not have been able to haul my trailer if I had a 2.5" shank. I then ended up borrowing my dad's truck for the rest of the trip and he only has a 2" hitch on his older 2500HD so that worked out well also. I never expected to have these scenario's come up, but they did and not having a 2.5" shank worked out well. Some people have had issues with the pin bending while using a sleeve and I can see how that would put more stress on the pin but I've never had an issue. Perhaps it is pin quality as well? My pin is an older locking pin and it has stayed nice and straight.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
I agree to look around, When I bought my truck it had a sleeve already in the hitch, I was also concerned with any slop. So I got to use my new welder and I welded the sleeve in there, now there's No Slop at all.
I was vacuuming my truck carpet and came across the original factory sleeve still in the plastic with the jack and wheel chock under the back seat.
So hopefully you have it somewhere in the truck.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
rctoyguy wrote:
Thanks everyone - I was just concerned about the "double slop" as someone mentioned, and wondered if that was something to worry about. I'd imagine there is about $100 or more difference in the cost of the adapter and a new shank.

I didn't like the play (I also had some flex with the receiver) so I replaced the receiver (Torklift double receiver rated at 30,000lbs) and also moved up to higher rated WDH with Torklift double shank (old WDH only had 1000lb bars, new setup has 1500lb bars).

With the new setup I am not worried about flex or play.

You can spend minimal (adapter sleeve) and be happy or if it bothers you, spend more.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
rctoyguy wrote:
Thanks everyone - I was just concerned about the "double slop" as someone mentioned, and wondered if that was something to worry about. I'd imagine there is about $100 or more difference in the cost of the adapter and a new shank.

I had the same issue when I swapped trucks last fall. I found a lot of 'double slop' when using the 2" drop shank with sleeve adapter. In my case, I had to get a new shank because I needed a couple more inches of drop. I first bought a new 2" shank from a local shop and tried it with the adapter. That set up gave me almost 1 1/4" of vertical play in my WD hitch head. So, rather than deal with all the slop I took back the shank and ordered a new one with a 2.5" receiver shank. That took out nearly all of the slop.

In your case, if you don't need a new shank you can go with a sleeve. However, I would suggest taking the parts to a welding shop and have them weld the sleeve to the shank. That should take excess slop out of the chain. Or, if they have the right stock tubing, just have them cut a piece to make a sleeve that covers the full length of the 2" shank. Many on here have found the adapter sleeves are a little short and don't give coverage on the full length of the truck receiver.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the sleeve! no problem with it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Your 2013 Ram was shipped from the factory with a "sleeve" that slid into the 2.5" receiver making it essentially a 2" receiver. All of the Ram 2500-3500s from 2013 onward did. However it looks as if it wasn't left with the truck when you bought it. You might check under the back seats or in the rear floor storage (crew cab only)

You can buy a sleeve for a $15-$40 or so OR spend the huge bucks getting a new WDH. My money would be on the sleeve. It's not going to hurt anything with it in there.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hank McMauser wrote:
If it has under floor storage in the back floor look to see if the adaptor is in it.

That's where I found mine. After I purchased a separate adapter.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Hank_McMauser
Explorer
Explorer
If it has under floor storage in the back floor look to see if the adaptor is in it.
Twin 2015 1500 RAM bighorns and a 12x12 alaknak tent

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you can buy just the hitch shank to fit your 2-1/2" reciever and use your existing weight distributing hitch head, bars, etc with the new shank, provided you get one that has a 2" square vertical bar and the same vertical hole spacing and diameter as your existing 2" shank.

The 2-1/2" to 2" adapter tubes are sold at Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight, some auto parts stores and most online hitch/trailer parts supply stores. Or, you can buy a 2" receiver tube (also sold in the same places), cut off the reinforcing collar, and use it as a reducer tube.

Also, most metal suppliers sell 2-1/2" sq x 1/4" wall seamless tube, which is what is used to make 2" receiver tubes and reducer tubes...
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Yes they make adapters for that. BUT I had draw-tite hitch and I bought a Reese adapter.

They don't play well together.

Reese made sure the holes did not line up with the draw-tite They made it just too long enough not to line up.:R

I was so ticked. I took it to a frame shop and they measured and cut the adapter so the holes would line up.
That's interesting, because Reese, Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, Fulton, Tow Power, and a few other brand names that I don't remember off hand, are all part of the same company. Alot of Reese and Draw-Tite's receiver hitches for the same applications are the same part, with different names on them...
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Rainier
Explorer
Explorer
My Chev truck is the same. It came with a sleeve or adapter that fits the receiver perfectly. I am sure you can order one on Amazon.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same hitch in my 2014 Ram. I tried to find a 2.5 inch shank that dropped enough, but couldn't find one. I used the adapter, but it still had some slop in it... the sleeve had some slop, and the shank in the sleeve had slop as well (double slop). so I just had a local truck accessory shop weld the adapter in. Cost me like $25 bucks and it's all nice and snug.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I am guessing the previous owner took the adapter out or lost it on the road. My F350 has the same configuration. The sleeve/ adapter just slides into the receiver. The only thing that holds it in is the pin that holds the hitch. Forget to put the pin in and the adapter can fall out.