cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new TT what do you change first if anything?

tekman741
Explorer
Explorer
Waiting for my 2020 forest river wildwood 179dbk to come in mid July.
The previous 2 TT where used so this is our 1st brand spanking new one. If you had to change something e.g. tires, stabilizers, battery, mattress (queen comes with an 8" thick coil mattress but bunks are foam), seat cushions, faucets, locks... what would you do or have the dealer change.

Personally, I like doing my own work because in my experience dealers do the bare minimum with cheap labor.
2019 4runner sr5 premium
no camper yet coming soon, other wise tent camping with boyscouts
29 REPLIES 29

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
tekman741 wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Not a change but an addition...If you don't have one I would buy a P.I. EMS. Live with the rest until you really know what you need to change.
What is a P.I EMS?

Progressive Industries Electric Management System. Will shut off power if loss of ground, reversed leads (can cause hot trailer skin probs), under/over voltage, over/under frequency. Displays Voltage, amperage, frequency, and error codes. FAR better than a Surge Suppressor. Can be had in a portable pendant or internal install version. The install version has a remote wired display option.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the first mods I've made to every RV we've owned is to add individual inline shut off valves to every water fixture, starting with the toilet. There's no sense in ruining a nice stay somewhere just because a fixture failed and the entire water system had to be shut down.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

tekman741
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Not a change but an addition...If you don't have one I would buy a P.I. EMS. Live with the rest until you really know what you need to change.
What is a P.I EMS?
2019 4runner sr5 premium
no camper yet coming soon, other wise tent camping with boyscouts

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Go buy some Rustulium paint and crawl under you new trailer

Great suggestion, I use Rustoleum Undercoat and the High Temp paint
(It has loads of solids). I give everything a good coat of paint.

Chassis still looks (almost) brand new - I was surprised how much
surface rust my new trailer had.

Then repeat just before the winter.

Oh - a power tongue jack - what a difference and dual batteries.

As others stated, live in it for a while, you will adapt as needs
arise.
Gerry

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Go buy some Rustulium paint and crawl under you new trailer and paint everything on the frame and trailer. This is the cleanest it will ever be and the easiest time to give it all a coat of good paint vs the cheap **** from the factory. While you are doing that it is a good time to close up every possible hole gap that a mouse or anything else can get in. When everything is new is the best time to take care of this.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Take out all the drawers, spread them out on the garage floor and glue them together. The factory puts them together with staples. I've had to put extra 1x1 wood in the corners of all my drawers and glue the wood in. They'll fall apart over time.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would say the Maxx air covers or the FF cover if you have an FF (Fantastic fan) is a good first mod.. I did that with my RV (Camco on bathrooms eventually FF on the FF)

But the thing most folks change .. .after the first trip (home from the dealer) Underware.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shelves in the closet. We don't hang stuff. Good quality bathroom fan, we went with a Vortex II fan and it works great, Added bars to the refrigerator. Added a frig fan by Camco, helps even out the temp in the frig.
After one use of the WFCO power converter, I ordered a Progressive Dynamics direct replacement. It took about 1 hour to switch it out.

Our dinette had one piece of particle board under the cushions and you had to remove all of the cushions to lift the board. I replaced it with plywood, cut it in half so that you could lift half at a time, rebuilt the frame of the dinette, cut the plywood and added hinges so that you could lift the seat cushion without removing it. Now we can set the back cushion aside, lift the seat cushion and raise the bottom of the seat to get stuff out.

I added a shelf under the stove, we didn't need a space 30 inches tall, now we have places for our cookware.

I added a push on/off switch to kill all radio power. The radio lights was bright enough that you could probably read in the TT when it is really dark outside.

My wife made some very nice curtains for all of the windows,
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Co detector, not co2.
Thanks I changed the post.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond all the roof seams, vent covers, mattress, JT Strongarm stabilizers.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Co detector, not co2.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the Rockwood. I added a mattress pad, some cushions and new table legs.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good suggestions from the posters above already....maybe add to the list a power tongue jack.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand