cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No refund from Terry Bison Ranch

KCerling
Explorer
Explorer
When we were planing our trip out west in July we made reservations at Terry Bison Ranch Rv in Cheyenne , Wyo.We had to pay up front for 3 nights for $161.55
Our son is coming back early from his 5th deployment in Afghanistan early so we had to cancel. Their response is the check is cashed and no refunds period!!!!
They are a Good Sam park and this is how they operate??
2002 Phaeton
2007 Jeep
Retired and loving it
47 REPLIES 47

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Bad business or not… No refund fees are not new and are quite common even for hotels…

For all Hotwire Hot Rates, bookings are final and cannot be cancelled, refunded, exchanged, transferred, or changed, even for a fee…
You can change or cancel your lodging booking either online under your Reservations when signed into your Hotels.com account, or by calling our customer services number…

The same is true at most online booking sites and many CG’s…

Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park & Campground
The purchase of tickets and campsites for major music festivals are non-refundable. All sales are final. There are no exceptions. Event is rain or shine. Additionally, this policy applies to campsites that are reserved for the entire week that the festival takes place.

Even some public CG…

San Diego County Parks and Recreation Department
Cancellations:
Overnight use: All fees will be forfeited if the reservation is cancelled less than 30-days before the check-in date. Reservations cancelled with less than 90-days but more than 30-days prior to check-in date will be refunded less the first night's fee, reservation fee, and a $5 cancellation fee. Reservations cancelled more than 90-days prior to check-in date will be refunded less reservation fee and a $5 cancellation fee.
Day use: All fees will be forfeited if the reservation is cancelled less than 30-days before the picnic date. There is a $30 fee to cancel a reservation more than 30 -ays before the picnic date.
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
Did the OP indeed cancel his spot? If so he should try calling and booking a spot NOW for that exact same time. Upon being told "we're all booked up" he should inquire about the site he cancelled which SHOULD be vacant.

Upon finding out that they have, indeed, rebooked that site he should then politely argue that a refund is due to HIM since they are getting paid TWICE for the same site.

I don't camp at private CG's much for that very reason. State Parks are 'always' willing to refund your money, minus a small fee (in Texas anyway)!
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyhaupt wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Sounds like the OP didn't use the website so had no idea of the no cancellation policy. And even if they have a no cancellation policy for those days that is not a good policy. So the OP has every right to share this info with the rest of us. I would not make reservations there knowing this is their policy, but I was going anyway.

Think about it, if that week is so popular, how difficult a time do you think they are going to have renting the space out again?

Maybe look at it this way...if you have a business and you have been able to sell all of your product, how cool is that, eh? Especially if it was a no-refund product? Money in the bank account.

Gary Haupt

I have a business and if I ran my business that way I probably wouldn't have it very long. My business relies heavily on word of mouth and if I screwed customers over I wouldn't have it very long.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Sounds like the OP didn't use the website so had no idea of the no cancellation policy. And even if they have a no cancellation policy for those days that is not a good policy. So the OP has every right to share this info with the rest of us. I would not make reservations there knowing this is their policy, but I was going anyway.

Think about it, if that week is so popular, how difficult a time do you think they are going to have renting the space out again?

The CG have these policies to keep people from changing or booking multiple spots for friends etc. and not showing up. During these sort of chaotic events the CG's do not have time to deal with shuffling the schedule. Rearranging the schedule creates errors and headaches that the CG chooses to avoid. The OP needs to assume responsible/liability for their own circumstances not the CG.

So I still say it's a bad business practice and I wouldn't stay there because of it. I've been to events at RV parks and I never saw one that had a no cancellation policy other than within a few days of the reservation.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:

Maybe look at it this way...if you have a business and you have been able to sell all of your product, how cool is that, eh? Especially if it was a no-refund product? Money in the bank account.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
msmith1199 wrote:

The CG have these policies to keep people from changing or booking multiple spots for friends etc. and not showing up. During these sort of chaotic events the CG's do not have time to deal with shuffling the schedule. Rearranging the schedule creates errors and headaches that the CG chooses to avoid. The OP needs to assume responsible/liability for their own circumstances not the CG.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, what the OP is dealing with is not uncommon, especially around a populated area.

Not this weekend, but the next (June 12-13), Austin gets inundated with motorcycle riders for the ROT Rally.

During this weekend, the exact same thing as the OP experienced: CGs will not refund reservations made during this weekend, they will charge the rack rate, and they likely will add additional fees for the weekend. Since the event is so popular, if one person refuses, there is another customer with a $60,000 Harley in a trailer who will take the spot, no questions asked.

Same with SXSW, ACL, and Formula 1 weekends. Any place near Austin that has guest lodging will be getting every possible dollar they can from those times. Invariably, once the reservation is made, it is in for good.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
It is always a good idea to ask about cancellation policy, especially if you have to pay in advance. And having to pay the full amount that far in advance is a good indication there is some special event taking place and there may well be special limitations in place.

ReVoker
Explorer
Explorer
I have been to Frontier Days before and I have stayed at your specific campground and it did state on my receipt that there are no refunds. You will just have to get over this one.
ReVoker
An opinion on every subject...

KCerling
Explorer
Explorer
I looked in Good Sam Campground Directory and booked by phone. Neither make mention of this policy.I have not looked at their website I look at Good Sam ratings.
2002 Phaeton
2007 Jeep
Retired and loving it

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try to make a reservation now!!

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Queens Carriage wrote:
You never answered the question. Is this during the no refund time ? (Frontier Days) If it is you would be wrong to flame them for the no refund. Just saying.

SI have to agree with this. They have policies in place for a reason. I always check the cancellation policies before I book, and then I make a decision as to whether or not it fits my circumstances.

I know the situation is somewhat unique due to your son's return from deployment, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect a campground to simply accept everyone's words on the reason they are cancelling or to expect them to somehow validate the reasons people provide. In this world of litigation and self-serving manipulation, campgrounds have little option but to stick by policies they have in place.

I respect your situation, and the tremendous service of your son. But, I don't think it is fair to criticize a campground for adhering to a clearly articulated and accessible cancellation policy.

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
You never answered the question. Is this during the no refund time ? (Frontier Days) If it is you would be wrong to flame them for the no refund. Just saying.

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
While happy that your son is returning from AFG, I'm sorry but, since the refund policy is explicitly stated, I don't agree with your complaint about the lack of a refund.

Not that I don't believe your son is in AFG and is returning, but you can imagine what people will say to try to wiggle their way out of a reservation and get a refund despite the policy. I would not expect campground management to try to figure out which reasons are legit and which are made up.

You're out $160, but getting your son back. Good trade, if you ask me.
1999 Itasca Sunrise