cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Number Of Hours?

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that there are lots of variables involved, but do you have a โ€œcapโ€ on the amount of hours you will donate to receive a FHU site at no charge?

We have had positions with as much as 40 hours per week. Both my wife and I agree that, for us, that is too many hours.

For us the cap is 24-28 hours for a site, total. Not per person.

What is your cap?
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006
33 REPLIES 33

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
noplace2 wrote:
It really is very simple. We have been on the road now in our 14th year. We workamped in many venues about 6 months a year and spent the other 6 traveling. We haven't hated it and have had many wonderful experiences. What would you trade for watching bear catching salmon amidst a setting replete with northern lights that most people can only dream of and still get paid $10/ hour plus a free site with all amenities? (we did it in AK for 5 months) Would you trade it for $5/hour? Would you trade it for nothing but site? We've done all of the above and have rarely been disappointed.

As far as a cap, no. We've worked as many as 20 hours each for nothing more than full hookups because it was where we wanted to be, when we wanted to be there and doing what we enjoyed doing. For example, we "worked" in a location in OR that required we do 30 hrs per couple for just site and FH. We were located in a private homestead where the owners were building a nature preserve on the 20 acres that they owned. Our "work" consisted of removing non-native plant life and general VERY light maintenance This all 30 miles from nowhere aside 2 streams and amid some of the most lush terrain in the country. Sometimes one can't put a price upon happy.

There are folks who will argue that to trade their time for less than what THEY believe that they are worth worth is horrid! I feel sorry for them. They still don't get that it isn't at all about material gain. They likely never will get it and are extraordinarily limited as to what they can experience.

YOU are the only one(s) who can decide the balance between what you consider "work" and what you are receiving in return, and again, that frequently isn't a matter of just a full hookup site or other amenities. If you allow it, it can mean peace, not only literally, but with your soul (whatever you perceive that to be) and truly enjoying what is left of your ever dwindling life.

It just occurred to me that I sound like an old hippie. ๐Ÿ™‚ Never was one but the last point is crucial. Many of us are looking at the waning years of our lives. Apropos to the discussion: how do you want to spend yours?

Well said!
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

TexasH
Explorer
Explorer
Our philosophy is that we want to do some interesting volunteer work that will be rewarding to us. We look for opportunities that meet that criteria. I guess that we have some "maximum" hours, but mostly we want a nice site, and the "work" is a separate consideration. We have had places where we worked a little as 20 hours a week total that we liked less than our most recent adventure where we worked a total of 48 hours a week. More important than the hours is the job, how much we enjoy what we are doing, how well we like the management and other volunteers and paid staff.

Full disclosure: We don't full time. We travel about 6 months a year, and spend 3-4 of those months in volunteer sites. So our considerations may be totally different from a full timer.
2002 Southwind 37U Ford F53 - V10
2007 Jeep Liberty Toad

lostdog
Explorer
Explorer
We volunteer at Corps of Engineers parks and state parks and don't have a problem working 15 to 20 hours for each of us but we usually negotiate for a total of 24 hours for the site. We will not work for a commercial park of any kind because a commercial enterprise will always have a "bottom line" mentality and we did that for a lifetime already. We never have had a problem finding volunteer positions. We simply look on a map for a new place that looks interesting and start making phone calls to parks and ask the question..."we are experienced volunteers and would enjoy experiencing your park for 3 or 4 months. May I speak to your volunteer coordinator?" Never a problem finding a "work".
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
hanzfranz60 wrote:
15 for a single, 24 for a couple.
yep
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
Like many have said before it really depends on the location and what is expected.

If it is 24-hours/week of cleaning, mowing, and maintained the park in order to have a free place to park...it better be a nice CG with amenities that are worth my time.

Additionally, I would want to know when I am needed. If for instance it was 3x days @ 4-hours per day and then had the rest of the week off (for a couple - 24 hours) then maybe -- if the park offered enough amenities and was in the right location.

I would not volunteer our time in a location that wouldn't provide enough time to enjoy the area. I have seen many a position advertised for 30-40+ hours a week for a CG that charges $500-600/month and then have a strict schedule that equates to WORKING.

When I retire it is to enjoy the fruits of my labor, not to labor for someone else.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
It really is very simple. We have been on the road now in our 14th year. We workamped in many venues about 6 months a year and spent the other 6 traveling. We haven't hated it and have had many wonderful experiences. What would you trade for watching bear catching salmon amidst a setting replete with northern lights that most people can only dream of and still get paid $10/ hour plus a free site with all amenities? (we did it in AK for 5 months) Would you trade it for $5/hour? Would you trade it for nothing but site? We've done all of the above and have rarely been disappointed.

As far as a cap, no. We've worked as many as 20 hours each for nothing more than full hookups because it was where we wanted to be, when we wanted to be there and doing what we enjoyed doing. For example, we "worked" in a location in OR that required we do 30 hrs per couple for just site and FH. We were located in a private homestead where the owners were building a nature preserve on the 20 acres that they owned. Our "work" consisted of removing non-native plant life and general VERY light maintenance This all 30 miles from nowhere aside 2 streams and amid some of the most lush terrain in the country. Sometimes one can't put a price upon happy.

There are folks who will argue that to trade their time for less than what THEY believe that they are worth worth is horrid! I feel sorry for them. They still don't get that it isn't at all about material gain. They likely never will get it and are extraordinarily limited as to what they can experience.

YOU are the only one(s) who can decide the balance between what you consider "work" and what you are receiving in return, and again, that frequently isn't a matter of just a full hookup site or other amenities. If you allow it, it can mean peace, not only literally, but with your soul (whatever you perceive that to be) and truly enjoying what is left of your ever dwindling life.

It just occurred to me that I sound like an old hippie. ๐Ÿ™‚ Never was one but the last point is crucial. Many of us are looking at the waning years of our lives. Apropos to the discussion: how do you want to spend yours?
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
I have camphosted for VA State parks for the last four years. They ask for a 30 hour work week which I guess is ok...however, if you aren't careful you start to get a lot of "will you do this, will you help with that" and you can end up putting in a lot of extra hours. I had to learn to say "no"...thirty hours is all you get. So, thirty hours is my cap.

crudeman
Explorer
Explorer
All I wanted to know what was expected and I would get it done, but with all this hour thing it got tiresome and I gave up on it the past two years.
Steve & Pat
Hannah - Sophie

2006 HR Ambassador PDQ
2010 Silverado

hanzfranz60
Explorer
Explorer
15 for a single, 24 for a couple.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
K Charles wrote:
I quit work so I could travel. When I travel I don't work. Even to work one hrs would be to long a day. If I wanted to work I would have kept my job.

Exactly....

At one time GF mentioned 'work-kamping'
I just laughed

I retired to enjoy the fruits of my working career.

So for me....ZERO hours is my cap

A most reasonable position my friend, and it answers my question too!:)
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
K Charles wrote:
I quit work so I could travel. When I travel I don't work. Even to work one hrs would be to long a day. If I wanted to work I would have kept my job.

Exactly....

At one time GF mentioned 'work-kamping'
I just laughed

I retired to enjoy the fruits of my working career.

So for me....ZERO hours is my cap
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

USA_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I volunteered from 2008 - 2013, part of that time was working as a gate attendant as a contractor getting paid. I think it is all a personal thing, I loved volunteering while I was doing it, but am enjoying being totally free now to travel these beautiful states as my pace. Enjoy life and do what makes you happy is the main thing. Life is just too short!
Cody Dillon & Chanel Dion (Maltese), Brandi (mix)
2007 40' Monaco Knight, towing a 2009 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible
Chunky,Cassie,Corky,Cammie-Maltese at Rainbow Bridge
Tinky-Gray Tabbie - Rainbow Bridge

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoy working/volunteering so I am in the position to take a workcamping opportunity based on the work involved. I probably would not want a position that required cleaning for 30-40 hours a week. But being a tour guide or naturalist that is something different. Location would matter too.
jesseannie

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I used to look at the park website and see what they charge for their sites. Knowing you are going to be in the cheapest site they can fit your rig, I take that monthly rate and divide by the min wage. That is the max number of hours we will work for site only. Most park owners really abuse their workampers and we no longer do any park hosting or workamping. We now do strictly gate guard work, which for us is a wage, our site and all utilities. NO freebies to the company that way.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today