cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

oil like substance dripping from television

Den_Carol
Explorer
Explorer
I know this sounds crazy, but we have an oil like substance dripping(every once in a while)from the television in our motorhome. It is coming from the left hand bottom corner, and I also wiped around the whole back edge and it had a little bit of this substance on the paper towel. I have checked and it is definitely coming from the television Does anyone have an idea what this could be.
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 32 ft
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar & Base Plate
Zoi terrier mix
44 REPLIES 44

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Can't say what happens in flat screen televisions, but I did have a capacitor pop in the power supply inside a Westinghouse LCD monitor. It was quite a loud crack and smoke curled out the top. No fire and it didn't trip the breaker, but there was obviously arcing inside.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
If you google "leaking LCD TV" you'll see that there are lots of people with this issue, from most brands. In quickly reviewing a lot of the entries, most do not give definitive information. A Sony manual states that LCD panels CAN leak, and the liquid is poisonous and can cause skin irritation. See page 7 here:
https://docs.sony.com/release/KDL32SL130.pdf

Another reference essentially said the same thing. It sounds like you have semi-hazardous waste leaking into your RV. I'd advise getting rid of the TV right away, and replace with another!

From what little is out there, cleanup with soap and water is good enough, just wear gloves, and of course do not let the liquid touch eyes or mouth.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Is your TV connected to a coax cable? Those things can transfer rain water through the cable and into your TV.

If you do have a coax, try taking it off the TV and see if there's water leaking from the coax.

There are weatherproof coax connectors just for this reason.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
unless you have water leaking into the TV
you have a capacitor in the power supply that is leaking
one day it will fail badly with smoke and fire

have the TV repaired or replace it

Sounds like Mr Wizard has never heard of a fuse. Can't remember when I last heard of a solid state flat screen TV bursting into flames. Older CRT TVs had high voltage to the CRT and could be a fire hazard but modern TVs are pretty much low voltage and not very suseptable to combustion.

Do a google search and you will find the newer LCD TV's can catch fire.

I agree have TV repaired or replaced as RV's tend to burn to the ground from small internal fires.

Den_Carol
Explorer
Explorer
There is no cabinet above the TV and no leak in the roof
Zoi terrier mix

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there a cabinet above the television? Do you have bottles of something stored in it (or did you at some point in the past)?

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

Sounds like Mr Wizard has never heard of a fuse. Can't remember when I last heard of a solid state flat screen TV bursting into flames. Older CRT TVs had high voltage to the CRT and could be a fire hazard but modern TVs are pretty much low voltage and not very suseptable to combustion.

MrWizard

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Den_Carol
Explorer
Explorer
Zoi terrier mix

Den_Carol
Explorer
Explorer

I know it has been awhile since I have posted about this liquid from our Jensen television in our 2012 motorhome but it is back. We brought out motorhome out of our storage shed and guess what it had dripped again and I got a picture of it. After cleaning the drip off of the countertop I noticed that when looking at an angle with the sunshine you can see where the drips have etched spots into our countertop so the drips must have some type of acid in them. The television has worked fine since we posted last September. We camped up til the end of November and just got back from a 3 week trip and used the tv with no problem. Just curious. Like I said before it is definitely coming from the TV, not a lot but still definitely from the TV. I am not sure if the picture will post but hopefully it will.
Zoi terrier mix

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arizona Kid wrote:
It's liquid crystal material leaking from a crack in the display panel. It's not dangerous except to your wallet. It's just a matter of time before it fails.

Repeating... There is NO fluid/liquid in a "Liquid Crystal Display". An LCD is made up of multiple layers of protective, electrode, polorizing, and reflective screens, laminated together with a layer of a crystal material that has both solid and liquid properties. Damaged displays sometimes show an internal separation that can appear to be fluid, but is nothing more than delamination. Once again, "There is NO liquid in an LCD."
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please keep us posted on what you find out. I've never heard of such a thing and I'm extremely curious to what it could be.

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
Most plastic is made from ethylene which is a hydrocarbon.

Maybe heat and current can liquify some of the plastic in a TV? However, I would think you would have a burning smell along with it.

I'm with the crowd that says get it out and inspect closer. At the least, unplug it.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
It's liquid crystal material leaking from a crack in the display panel. It's not dangerous except to your wallet. It's just a matter of time before it fails.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
If it's always plugged in and runs off house batteries, I'd suspect a power trickle penetrating the tv and causing something to overheat and possibly even melt components creating the "leak." Like the others said, I'd take the back off and give a serious look at least and probably remove it from the RV till I was positive.