cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OK. I give up. What are these hooks for?

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
At Lake Catherine State Park the RV sites have these green hooks, and I can't figure out what they're for. The entire assembly is probably six feet tall. There's a hook at the end that is obviously intended for something to hang from, but ..... what?

66 REPLIES 66

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure it is for hanging a coleman lantern but also could be used for hanging a trash bag.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm picking up wind chimes and leaving the tuba at home. That tuba sure takes up a lot of room and if wind chimes will have the same effect...
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Are you folks saying that my wind chimes are not welcome in the campground?
Nothing like the clanging of wind chimes to break up that dreadful silence of a quiet evening! I bring a long stick along to clang the chimes together when the wind does not do them loud enough. If that clanging disturbs you, let me know and I can crank up the outdoor stereo speakers. Always happy to help overcome the silence of the campground.

BTW I don't think that pole dance suggestion would work...It would interfere with the wind chimes.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vent for the sewer system. :W Elevated to carry the odors away from your site. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
In all the years that we have been RV'ing (reg. since '07), I have never seen a hook like that at our campsite. We have stayed at ALL types of parks (KOA's, private parks, regular RV parks, Etc.) but not public parks as we are generally to large.

And, a lantern seems like the most obvious use for it.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
96Bounder30E wrote:
gov/environment/recreational_trails/publications

Lantern Hangers

Some campers appreciate lantern hangers--they are convenient and protect trees from damage. The recommended distance from the ground to the lantern hanger is about 80 inches (2,032 millimeters). Because an 80-inch hanger, such as the one shown in figure 9-23, is not accessible, a second hook can be mounted where people in wheelchairs can use it.

Figure 9-23--For lantern hangers to be accessible, they should
not be more than 48 inches from the ground. This style of lantern
hanger could be adapted by adding a second, lower hook.

I was going to guess it was a hook to hang a outdoor speaker from when having a large party at your campsite:h
:E I'd rather have the Wind Chime. :E
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

PapaNIes60
Explorer
Explorer
ECones wrote:
Golfcart wrote:
I would be pretty annoyed if someone hung wind chimes at a campsite near me lol. Those things drive me up the wall

Me too. And most camp grounds we frequent say not to tie your dog outside. A hammock would need another one.

I bet lantern nailed it, though the sure went to some expense for lantern hangers. This is pretty darned solid.

They are sometimes, but not always, near the tent pad, so I'm thinking lantern is the answer. Next time we go I'll try to remember to ask. But I'll probably forget.

If they weren't solidly built and securely installed they would break from misuse or, most likely stolen. I have witnessed people taking things like fire rings and grills.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, that's a carefully balanced cane for one of Santa's extremely tall elves.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
98Bounder: Is that Roosevelt Lake in your pic? It looks like Windy Hill campground.

It's definitely for a lantern and definitely not tall enough to keep a bear out of food...and DEFINITELY not for noisy wind chimes. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have no idea what lake that is.......I got the info and picture from....The US dept of Transportation of the Federal Highway Administration website....

FS publication: Equestrian Design Guidebook for Trails, Trailheads and Campgrounds

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/recreational_trails/publications/fs_publications/07232816/page1...
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we primitive camp in the National Parks. We still use a propane lantern. So the hooks are a GREAT thing to have.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
98Bounder: Is that Roosevelt Lake in your pic? It looks like Windy Hill campground.

It's definitely for a lantern and definitely not tall enough to keep a bear out of food...and DEFINITELY not for noisy wind chimes. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
You folks are funny

OK. Lantern it is. Actually, there was a guy walking around pulling nails out of trees while we were there last weekend. He told us that people would drive nails into trees to hang all sort of stuff including lanterns. I just never made the connection that was why the poles were provided.

As usual, thank you kind folks for explaining to the newby without telling him how silly the question was. ๐Ÿ˜‰

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
You hang grandpa up on it by his suspenders when he shows you how to light a campfire with a stick and string. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
buta4 wrote:
Looks to me it is for something other use. The hook is facing in the "wrong direction" for most of the aforementioned uses.
:h

The hook probably faces the pole for safety reasons. I don't think there is a wrong direction, you can still hang things on the hook. (Just no wind chimes) ๐Ÿ˜‰

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Field dressing deer ๐Ÿ˜‰
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M