cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pay Sales Tax In Two States?

Makin__Do
Explorer
Explorer
I'll try and make this short. I live in West Virginia and want to buy a used RV from a private party in Florida. If I want an "in-transit" tag from Florida to drive the RV back to WV, I have to pay FL 6% tax, equal to the WV tax, to get that tag. When I title the RV in WV I would have to pay the 6% tax again because WV will not give me credit for paying the tax in FL. 12% is more than I want to pay.
So, the question is, can I pay the owner for the RV and have them sign the title over to me and just get out of state and skip the tag?
BTW, the owner is willing to leave their FL plate and insurance on the RV until I get back to WV.
79 REPLIES 79

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
But only when dealing with the state in order to title, register, or in this case get a temporary transit permit.

No private seller that I know of anywhere is required to collect sales tax. The buyer must pay sales tax when registering the vehicle.

jim1521 wrote:
mike-s wrote:
jim1521 wrote:
But (if I understand this correctly) that doesn't get the OP out of paying FL sales tax.
It's a private party transaction. The seller is not required to collect sales tax.

Sorry, but everything I've ever read is that the buyer IS required to pay sales tax - whether private sale or not.

"One of the most attractive reasons for buying a used car is saving money; however, aside from the lower asking price, you'll still have to pay certain used car taxes and fees. Be prepared for these fees as you budget how much money you can actually spend on your used car."

https://www.dmv.org/buy-sell/used-cars/used-car-taxes-fees.php
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
It is amazing to read these threads. It is also very obvious that many people don't read anything about the situation before starting to fire from the hip. Several pages into the thread and people are still referring to the RV as a trailer which the OP clearly states is a Class C.

With all the lawyers in training and supposed real lawyers responding, it is interesting no-one has pointed out one very important fact. In every state, the sale of a motor vehicle is not considered to have been consummated until such time the title is transferred to a new owner. The fact that the previous owner signs the title and gives it to the new owner does not consummate the deal until such time the vehicle is actually titled in the new owners name.

This is a point of law that most dealers are aware of for they deal with it almost daily. The time period between the sale of a vehicle and when it is actually titled to the new owner does hold a legal liability to the dealer in case of an accident. Until the title is transferred, the dealer is the legal owner of the vehicle and as such can be added to any lawsuit arising from an event during this time. A dealer's Garage Keepers Liability Policy should always have coverage for this eventuality if the dealer is paying attention.

In this particular case, it could be argued that both the buyer and seller are best covered by driving the vehicle in transit with the seller's tags. Until such time that the title is changed to the buyer's name by a DMV, the seller is the legal owner. This can be argued regardless of whether the two parties have signed the title or not and executed a bill of sale. Any seller would be well served to not cancel insurance coverage on a sold vehicle until such time they are confident the title has actually been transferred. In case of an accident, the seller would then have some protection in a case where the damaged party would choose to argue a legal transfer of ownership had not actually taken place.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Insurance is not needed on a trailer. the vehicle that is toeing it covers the trailer. the only insurance you would want is comprehensive, which is not needed for towing, but would be good to happen in the event of some type of loss. I would just tow it home and if you get pulled over pride the bill of sale to show you just bought it.

Edit, it sounds like it may be a class C, If so then you would need the liability insurance.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
minnow wrote:
Some of you are eligible for the Meritorious Courage Award for just putting your feet on the floor every morning after waking up. My God, never seen so much hand wringing and gnashing of teeth over something so darn trivial.
C'mon - be honest...how many of you have been on the verge of tears with worry if the OP will still be alive after driving his new Class C back to WV.
Obviously, you have never seen a thread concerning plastic milk crates on here.

^^ These two will most likely go on for another couple pages before the thread gets closed.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:

Mike... Please read exactly what you wrote here...

The State of Michigan says:
You do not need a license plate to drive a newly purchased vehicle directly home within Michigan within three days of purchase. Carry the assigned title and proof of insurance with you.
(you get a plate when it's registered)

And then please explain to me how that doesn't refer to a vehicle bought in Michigan and driven home within Michigan.
If I buy a <3000 lb unregistered trailer in Wisconsin, I can legally drive it in Wisconsin, into Michigan, to home, and have 3 days to title and register it. Nothing I quoted said or implied that it only applied to vehicles bought in Michigan. That's just you, again, being wrong based on incorrect assumptions.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Please let us hear how your "run for the border" goes.
I see no issues.

Don't forget to actually inspect the MH. Bring a buddy to slow you down and ask questions.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
minnow wrote:
Some of you are eligible for the Meritorious Courage Award for just putting your feet on the floor every morning after waking up. My God, never seen so much hand wringing and gnashing of teeth over something so darn trivial.
C'mon - be honest...how many of you have been on the verge of tears with worry if the OP will still be alive after driving his new Class C back to WV.

Now that's funny! I gotta remember that...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Makin' Do wrote:
OP again. It seems this topic has gotten a little out of control and I'm sorry that a couple of posters are perhaps less than happy with each other. All responses are more or less valid in their own way and I have taken them all into consideration. Again thanks for all your replies.
Now, here's what the seller and I agreed to do, and we are both comfortable with the agreement. I'll leave with his plate and registration and his written statement that I have his permission to be in possession of and use of his RV. My insurance policy (State Farm) says that I am covered when driving another persons vehicle whit their permission. When I get home I'll send him his plate, registration and that Star Bucks card. I'll leave him with a bottle of JD since I can't send that thru the mail.

You didn't mention an original title showing ownership. Make sure he signs over the original title to you. You will probably need it to obtain yours.

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Makin' Do wrote:
OP again. It seems this topic has gotten a little out of control and I'm sorry that a couple of posters are perhaps less than happy with each other. All responses are more or less valid in their own way and I have taken them all into consideration. Again thanks for all your replies.
Now, here's what the seller and I agreed to do, and we are both comfortable with the agreement. I'll leave with his plate and registration and his written statement that I have his permission to be in possession of and use of his RV. My insurance policy (State Farm) says that I am covered when driving another persons vehicle whit their permission. When I get home I'll send him his plate, registration and that Star Bucks card. I'll leave him with a bottle of JD since I can't send that thru the mail.

Good Choice....your thread did make for some good reading though.

Enjoy the new rig
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't sound correct. We have never had to pay twice. We just purchased a temporary tag from the state of purchase that was good for us to get home. The new was then titled, registered and tax paid in our home state.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Makin' Do wrote:

And after all this good, bad and/or entertaining and some way out there advice, you actually picked the worst possible option for both of you. Youโ€™re leaving with a vehicle signed over to you and fabricating some story to your insurance that they could or will deny if you crash it. Then the seller will show that he sold it to you so you or your ins will be responsible.
Buy the thing, get a signed title and bill of sale. Leave the plate on or take it off who cares. On makes you less of a target for the cops, off shows you just bought it. Go home and register it.
And if you want, make sure your state has a grace period. Guessing they all do because you canโ€™t instantly register a private party vehicle without dragging the seller to the dmv.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
I see the sky has completely fallen...
I feel so bad for the OP because now he must either hire an attorney or face being locked up in a jail cell with a gang-tatted murderer while his new-to-him RV is being meticulously stripped down to the frame by DEA agents.

I'll get on the road today and count a dozen people without tags before I make it out of town. Imagine what a great business that would be if they all got fined $500, 60 days in jail and 6 months probation.

I don't think I've ever read so much hysteria over nothing on this forum until today.

So I provide him intelligent, researched and accurate information upon which he is free to make an educated decision and that makes me Chicken Little? Seriously?

In this case...YES

Makin' Do wrote:

Sounds like 2 reasonable people have gotten together and come up with a good solution. Hopefully it all works out just fine.

While I don't think any of the above will lead to the OP getting in trouble, I would personally not drive around with anyone else's tag on my vehicle unless I know the other person. There's just too many bad things that could happen. But that's me and my comfort level. YMMV
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Makin__Do
Explorer
Explorer

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
Wow as mentioned the sky has fallen. Have you tried talking to the WV DMV. They may not issue temp tags but then again they may. I took a quick look and in one place it says they dont but on another page at the http://transportation.wv.gov/dmv/vrs/Pages/default.aspx it clearly mentions temp tags.

On another note and I have not used one in many years but I have gotten "in transit" tags before. IIRC the last one cost me $5 and was good for 5 days or something like that a quick google came up with this for WV
https://apps.wv.gov/DMV/TripPermit/Individual/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDMV%2fTripPermit%2fIndividual%2f might be worth asking about it at the local dmv

I personally would have no problem driving the vehicle home with the out of state plate or no plate as long as I had title, proof of insurance and bill of sale with me. While it could possibly end up with a ticket/s you would have to be a real tool leo to issue a citation if you had all the ownership proof and heading home but if they did no big deal they would be doing their job, they are usually no points. Impounding the vehicle seems quite outlandish and I do not see it listed as a potential consequence in the previous listing of consequences provided by a previous poster as does jail time for misdemeanor traffic offenses. However if you were to get cited in each state you would probably be better off paying the double tax. Perhaps you can mitigate it a bit by having the seller meet you at the Georgia Florida border if you do not use his plates.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS